winter rigid bike frame matrial- Mtbr.com

Dec 2007

winter rigid bike frame matrial

due to 5 yrs of upgrades to 2 bikes i now almost have enough parts to build a rigid winter bike. i lack a frame and fork.
    in you guy's exprience and opinion what is the best frame matrl to use and why??

lets say that you could get a frame, steel, ti, carb, or alum for the same $$$ what would work best up here. i would be using reg mtb rims w/ studs for now and upgrade to something wider later so the frame would have to fit a snow cat or something like it.

i am not looking for fancy name brands. you can get all of the above matrls on line for 700.00 or less and that's what i might due just to get a bike going. i use an nrs for now but since i put the new fox fork on the front i will have to change the oil 2x a year because the 7 wt oil does not like the cold. i dont like the idea of taking a new good working fork apart 2x a yr. it had a sid before but they use a lot less oil in the fork and it was not affected by the cold. every now and then i would find a little oil in the rebound cap on the sid so i upgraded to the fox. (anyone looking for a good used sid??)

i see u guys riding steel, al, and ti-- no carbon. i would think alum would be a little harsh, steel would be good, but the rust??, ti would be nice but i'm 208lbs so a little flexy?? carb, how long would it last??

rando, how do you like your ti/ ibis??

feed back please guys, you know better than i up here?? thx,geo.

Jul 2007

Frame

If you were inclined to buy a new frame, you may want to see what a Specialized Rockhopper frame costs. The chainstay gap can accomadate a snowcat with a 2.3 Freddies Revenz or a 2.5 Weirwolf without a problem.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by georgejetson
    you can get all of the above matrls on line for 700.00 or less and that's what i might due just to get a bike going.
    Are you going to weld up your own frame? Or did I just not read it corectly?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aka bubba
    Are you going to weld up your own frame? Or did I just not read it corectly?

No No...George shouldn't be anywhere near an open flame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Spicer

I just bumped into new aluminum Spicer frame that seems that likes snowcats with 2.55 LTs and should fit your height - drop me a note - [email protected]

mtbr member
    I'm not sure I'd trust a $700 carbon MTB frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I've always been partial to ti mtn bike frames. But I just heard that Mike Curiak is working on this new custom, sausage-tubed frame and...err, nevermind...

Members who have read this thread: 0