Winter Riding question- Mtbr.com
    Bikes are good

Winter Riding question

I was just about in position to buy a pugs this fall, and then I broke my shoulder. Even after insurance, I'm afraid I'm out 1300 bucks, and up one metal plate and 8 screws. Anyway, I can't ride for a while, but was wondering if snocats are worth the purchase? Is there a better, wide rim option out there? I am hoping to throw them on an old specialized rockhopper. 7 years old, I guess fit might be an issue.

Anyway, thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Snowcats are fine depending on the conditions you plan to use them in, not as good as a large marge, but still good in alot of conditions. Hey at one time they were THE winter wheel to have.

Your main issue is going to be wether you have enough rear wheel clearance for them to work. I have some on a rockhopper but its alot newer than what you have. If you call one of the local shops they may be able to tell you how much you need for clearance. If you can't find or get the info you need let me know and if you would like we can see if mine will fit your bike.

The other issue you will have with an older frame is brakes, I think you have to alter them to make rim brakes work but I am not certain.

Oct 2005
    howd you break your shoulder?

Bikes are good

Cool

I will start looking into that. The rock hopper is buried in the shed somewhere. Do sno cats come with a hub with a disc mount? Never mind, now i'm looking at a thousand bucks again.

I broke my shoulder last monday riding down the dome. My favorite trail stuck it to me before the season was over. Hit some mud, drifted off to the right, hit a deadfall tree (I found out from hiking up there this week, I sawed that f'ing tree out of the trail 5 years ago) and was shot into the air. I tucked, and didn't roll. Clavicle is not bolted together with some nice titanium.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Usually the issue is not with the rims fitting but how wide of a tire your frame can accept on the SnowCats. I have an old Raleigh and can fit a shaved 2.7 in the rear but that is it.
    Access to SnowCats is sporadic and tends to be over-priced now that there are other options available. Speedway now has rims at a similar width but I have no idea what a build cost.

Snowcats can be either rim or disc brakes. I was so excited to score a pair off of Craigslist 2 years ago that I forgot to check that and ended up having to have one of them rebuilt with a disc hub so I could run at least one brake. You can run them with rim brakes but the setup is complicated. I was unsuccessful in my attempt but others on here have made it work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Snocats & V Brakes

I have Snowcats with V Brakes. Some old Marinovative cheaptricks reversed. Works Great for heel clearance. I'm running 2.5" Diesel Pros. They work fairly well if the snow has been packed at all or if no one has ridden before me. Still have the self lubricating brake effect with warm snow but that just makes the downhills fun. I got some first tracks on the new STA singletrack today.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Speedway rims

Greg has a quiver of Snowcat alternatives he can set you up with, both single wall and double wall at various widths to match whatever tires will fit into your frame. Pull your bike out of the shed and limp on down there.

Bikes are good

Trails...

Are pretty sweet lately. I shouldn't be riding, but man it's tough. The rule is, no falling.

I can fit 2.4's on my special ed. I might try to make that work since I have to pay for surgery still.

I can rent the fat bikes somewhere right? Are they available for rent for the Su100? Maybe just the 50 the first time around.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50
    I can rent the fat bikes somewhere right? Are they available for rent for the Su100? Maybe just the 50 the first time around.
    http://www.arcticcycles.com/

Members who have read this thread: 0