Winter race advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Winter race advice

I'm curious about the local Alaskan opinion on which of the long endurance type mountain bike races is the best option. Iditabike looks fairly cool, although it seems a bit more hyped and expensive than I'd prefer. Any other options? I've heard rumors of something called the Susitna 100, and would love your all's opinions.

Cheers - Pluto Pilot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pluto Pilot
    I'm curious about the local Alaskan opinion on which of the long endurance type mountain bike races is the best option. Iditabike looks fairly cool, although it seems a bit more hyped and expensive than I'd prefer. Any other options? I've heard rumors of something called the Susitna 100, and would love your all's opinions.

Cheers - Pluto Pilot

I've done and "enjoyed" both events. The Susitna 100 is a great race to "get your feet wet." The event is well organized, offers good support at checkpoints, yet it is a significant challenge. If you've got a long term goal of the Alaska Ultrasport (350 mi. or 1100 mi) then the Susitna 100 is a great way to train and hone your survival skills. The Ultrasport is definitely a race for strong adventurers who are skilled in dealing with all that Nature can throw at them. For more information on the Susitna 100 contact [email protected]. For more information about the Alaska Ultrasport contact [email protected]