Winter Derailleur ?s- Mtbr.com

Sep 2005

New question here. Winter Derailleur ?s

I'm building up a 6x1 and was wondering if there is a consensus on 'the best' performing rear derailleur for winter conditions.

Curious as to what combinations have been working best for folks...what derailleur, cable, housing and shifter combos?

I haven't built-up a derailleur'd bike for years...looking for some 'realworld' suggestions!

Quyana in advance

Cheers

Fatback
    I've been putting Shimano XT or XTR on almost all the Fatbacks and Pugs. The X9 top pulley gets moisture inside (and there's no good remedy) and freezes. The best housing is Gore for sealing out the elements.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I've had good luck with my new XT. Stainless Jagwire cable and bulk Jagwire cable. I'm also using a vintage Deore index/friction shifter (7sp) so I can always switch to friction if the shifting gets wonky.

mtbr member

don't date me

...Thumbies are not vintage...they are classic bombproof winter componentry and my Fatback, Titianna loves 'em. They really get along with her h-bar

Sep 2005

Pulley freezes??

[QUOTE=The X9 top pulley gets moisture inside (and there's no good remedy) and freezes. [/QUOTE]

Explain...?

Fatback
    Quote Originally Posted by qayaq_alaska
    Explain...?
    The upper pulley has no bearing, only two flat (flanged) plates that are about 3/4 the size of the pulley. They are not sealed and snow/moisture penetrates them and freezes. The "bushing" is slightly smaller than the plates and looks like the cylinder from a revolver,with it's axis is off center. We tried the Soup, but it didn't help. The bottom line is they are not sealed and have too much surface area.
    By the way, I'm currently using a braided Jaguire cable set up and it's working fine, but the Gore cables are sealed better than any other, for what it's worth.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

Sep 2005

Pulleys

thanks...had the same experience and understand that those 'pseudo' plate bearings have never worked in any freezing conditions (obviously where the manufacturers save $).

I have a stash of older Bullseye brand pulleys with sealed bearings as upgrades that have always worked just fine with Suntour derailleurs (lol, yes, those are the last derailleurs I've used). Current problem I find being that there has been no standardization on any of the pulley bearings a/o studs, even derailleur to derailleur with same manufacturer, and tough to get replacement pulleys (esp. aftermarket) matched up.

SRAM has quality sealed bearing upgrades for X-0 derailleur. Retro'd some Shimano sealed bearing upgrades on our Chain Tensioners as well but its hit or miss on the stud sizing.

Quyana...good info as always!

ML

Quote Originally Posted by thirstywork
    The upper pulley has no bearing, only two flat (flanged) plates that are about 3/4 the size of the pulley. They are not sealed and snow/moisture penetrates them and freezes. The "bushing" is slightly smaller than the plates and looks like the cylinder from a revolver,with it's axis is off center. We tried the Soup, but it didn't help. The bottom line is they are not sealed and have too much surface area.
    By the way, I'm currently using a braided Jaguire cable set up and it's working fine, but the Gore cables are sealed better than any other, for what it's worth.

Ologist
    I talked with Gregg at Speedway for a while about using a sram vs shimano rear derailleur on my Fatback. I had an X.0 available to me at the time and so used that. I don't know if there is a design difference between the x.9 and x.0. I would need to take a closer look. It has not iced yet (even riding the slushy lake last week), but it probably will at some point. If I was was to buy one outright I would have gone with a new XT. I love it on my trailbike.

Sep 2005

X.0

X.0 has fairly highquality sealed bearings on the pulleys...get some 'Soup' in those and I think you're good to go...I haven't any probs. yet either.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla
    I talked with Gregg at Speedway for a while about using a sram vs shimano rear derailleur on my Fatback. I had an X.0 available to me at the time and so used that. I don't know if there is a design difference between the x.9 and x.0. I would need to take a closer look. It has not iced yet (even riding the slushy lake last week), but it probably will at some point. If I was was to buy one outright I would have gone with a new XT. I love it on my trailbike.
    w

Members who have read this thread: 0