Who found dry trails this weekend??- Mtbr.com
    Ologist

Who found dry trails this weekend??

I found some out at Big Lake. In addition to access roads, and the great atv trails along the dirt roads, there are a few really good atv/snowmachine trails that were surprisingly dry. Spring is a few days further along in the Valley.

Anyone else head out to Gull Rock or to the Denali area?

Feb 2007

Mud Riding Marginal

Larry, Curly & Moe went mud riding from Elderberry Park. Slime, vegetation, ice, snow & some sand. It was very bad from where we got on heading west so we road on the path past Pt. Waronzof(sp?) then got back down on the beach and headed south and it was much better until we met a huge mud-gully that was hard to get around due to goo. We ran out of time and headed back north and got out right at Pt. Waronzof and that was the best riding of they day. The bikes are disgusting and will take a while to clean. Next time we will try starting closer to Kincaid and hope for better conditions.

Other than that the trails look good at CT driving by - but no word on how they really are. Lots of mud up higher.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I hit Kep/Brad on Friday and it was great....quite a few downed trees and a few mud patches but overall very rideable

Diaskeuast
    I think this note is good advice for most areas of Southcentral:

Subject: Still Early for Bikes

Please help spread the word for us that SRD summer hiking trails are
    closed to horses until July 1. The current CNF Forest Plan lists trails closed to
    mountain bikes until July 1; however, we do not have signed orders for
    this. We ask people to please refrain from riding bikes on our hiking
    trails that are wet and still have snow or recent snow melt, (specifically
    Johnson North, Res. Pass N. above Caribou CK, Devil's Ck, LostLK/Primrose,
    Upper Russian, and all other areas above tree line) basically
    any areas above 1,000' elevation.

For updates on trails that have been logged out check the CNF webpage for
    SRD Trail Conditions.

Thanks for your help.

Irene B. Lindquist
    Forest Technician, Recreation
    Seward Ranger District
    907-288-7748
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by timwoody

closed to horses until July 1. The current CNF Forest Plan lists trails closed to
    Yep, I agree, thats why I went a huntin' for non-hiking trails at low elevation and was askin' around for what others have found.

I'm from Utah
    So between July 1 and the first snow, this year's dirt season will be at least four days long.

Wow ... is Alaska a terrible place to own a mountain bike or what? Good thing I don't buy into that nonsense anymore.

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

I sure hope that was a typo.

When I saw this message, it was initially a bit irritated by it.

July 1st as a 'blanket' opening date just doesn't make sense. June 1st or the 'first weekend' of June I am completely comfortable with and think is reasonable.. so hope that second line really was a typo if they are trying to declare 'blanket' opening / close date.

A lot of South Centrals trails are perfectly fine for riding by early to Mid-June. This includes many of the trails Mrs. Irene Lindquist mentioned ( Johnson, Crecent Lake, Russian Lakes, etcetera. ).

Mountain Bikes also make a hell of a lot less impact than a Horse, even in large groups so I wish the rangers of the Seward Ranger district wouldn't continue group us into the same category and give us some credit and start to design trails to also increase our enjoy of the trail.

They want us to be proactive trail users that sign into the trail books, report issues, and participate in trail maintenance.. yet then tell us we can't ride on the trails when they are in perfectly fine condition for riding.

Please let the Seward Ranger district know that you care about the trails and let them know that a 'blanket' opening date for the CNF is not appropriate and should be done on a trail-by-trail basis as far as opening dates. If a blanket date is 'signed' that means we can be fined purely because of a date on the calendar, and not based on the actual condition of the trail.

Also, please always sign in when Mountain Biking at trail heads and report the conditions as it purtains to mountain biking..(even if you don't leave your contact info) they actually read those things and compile stats on them.

The trails of the CNF to me really make Mountain Biking in Alaska so great... so please be a proactive and responsible trail user.

Mrs. Lindquist's email address; her phone number and address is the message posted by Tim below. [email protected]

Christopher

For updates on trails that have been logged out check the CNF webpage for
    SRD Trail Conditions.

Thanks for your help.

Irene B. Lindquist
    Forest Technician, Recreation
    Seward Ranger District
    907-288-7748

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

That was sort of my thought..

Quote Originally Posted by Jilleo
    So between July 1 and the first snow, this year's dirt season will be at least four days long.

Wow ... is Alaska a terrible place to own a mountain bike or what? Good thing I don't buy into that nonsense anymore.
    That was sort of my thought.. ok.. so sure.. we keep the trails closed until July.."when the Rains really start". No such thing as a truely dry trail in this state.

I have asked for clarification of her statements.

Christopher

mtbr member
    I found some nice riding this weekend in southeast Anchorage... way southeast

Opps, that was the wrong pic, but you get the point.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beware of Doggerel
    You know thereís a bunch of stuff about that e-mail that just grates my cheese, so to speak.

The tone is really passive aggressive and smells of BS. Stuff like ď...refrain from riding bikes on our hiking trails...Ē. Bull..., howz about you refrain from walking all over my biking trails. Hmmm... Okay without rattling on (too much), the point is, those are multi-purpose trails open to many activities and they belong to all of us, citizens and users. I just donít like the tone of that letter. The phrase ď..refrain from riding bikes on our hiking trials...Ē speaks volumes about the kind of non-sense we are up against in terms of access and being taken seriously. This is an institutional attitude.

Also Iím pretty tired of hearing about unsigned orders, what the hell is that? (Seriously does anyone know, I donít.) Havenít they been talking about unsigned orders for like 3 or 4 years now? Everybody knows to stay off the trails until they are dry. Rules are great but, this unsigned orders junk reminds me of the Central Scrutinizer from Joeís Garage, you know heís in charge of enforcing all the laws that havenít been written yet. The first line of that e-mail says to please spread the word that the trails are closed until, July 1, then a few lines later they admit that in fact the trails are not closed until July 1. Hey man, spread your lies on your own time. Thatís just non-sense.

Well, Iím gonna stop now. I just found that e-mail especially patronizing and annoying. Maybe Iím too sensitive or missing something, because, after all, its the tone more than the message that bothers me. If the trails are still wet in July Iíll go elsewhere to ride, but if they are dry by mid june Iím riding, unwritten rules be damned.
    Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Feb 2007

What he said!!

What he said!!!!

QUOTE=Adam]You know thereís a bunch of stuff about that e-mail that just grates my cheese, so to speak.

The tone is really passive aggressive and smells of BS. Stuff like ď...refrain from riding bikes on our hiking trails...Ē. Bull..., howz about you refrain from walking all over my biking trails. Hmmm... Okay without rattling on (too much), the point is, those are multi-purpose trails open to many activities and they belong to all of us, citizens and users. I just donít like the tone of that letter. The phrase ď..refrain from riding bikes on our hiking trials...Ē speaks volumes about the kind of non-sense we are up against in terms of access and being taken seriously. This is an institutional attitude.

Also Iím pretty tired of hearing about unsigned orders, what the hell is that? (Seriously does anyone know, I donít.) Havenít they been talking about unsigned orders for like 3 or 4 years now? Everybody knows to stay off the trails until they are dry. Rules are great but, this unsigned orders junk reminds me of the Central Scrutinizer from Joeís Garage, you know heís in charge of enforcing all the laws that havenít been written yet. The first line of that e-mail says to please spread the word that the trails are closed until, July 1, then a few lines later they admit that in fact the trails are not closed until July 1. Hey man, spread your lies on your own time. Thatís just non-sense.

Well, Iím gonna stop now. I just found that e-mail especially patronizing and annoying. Maybe Iím too sensitive or missing something, because, after all, its the tone more than the message that bothers me. If the trails are still wet in July Iíll go elsewhere to ride, but if they are dry by mid june Iím riding, unwritten rules be damned.
    Adam[/QUOTE]

Wood chips are stupid
    The trails will not be dry for at least a couple of more weeks. Stay off the wet ones.No brainer.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by kgrlaw00
    Larry, Curly & Moe went mud riding from Elderberry Park. Slime, vegetation, ice, snow & some sand. ... we met a huge mud-gully that was hard to get around due to goo. ... The bikes are disgusting and will take a while to clean. Next time we will try starting closer to Kincaid and hope for better conditions.
    Adam and Christopher, I agree that common sense should overrule blind obedience when good judgement is part of the equation, but when I read a post titled "Mud riding marginal" and see statements such as those in the quotes above, I feel like a reminder is in order.

Is it just me, or has the tone of the forum been more impatient this spring? It seems that people are so desperate for dirt that they're willing to risk damaging trails. I know some stretches of firm trail can be found, but how far can they run before hitting muddy stretches? Not very far, in my experience. I'm eager to get on some singletrack just like everyone else but, hey, we live in Alaska.

Feb 2007

Mud Riding Marginal . . . on mud flats

Yo TimWoody,

perhaps the post was not clear - we were riding snow/mud bikes on the tidal mud flats below the coastal trail, not on muddy trails. Riding muddy trails is bad form, accumulates bad karma and pisses off everyone else. In the Boulder area they have largely shut down mtb riding in town due to complaints by non-riders - and if we foul our own nest by leaving tracks in the mud it is not hard to imagine increased mtb restrictions in AK.

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by kgrlaw00
    we were riding snow/mud bikes on the tidal mud flats below the coastal trail, not on muddy trails.
    Sorry, man. I guess I was reading too fast. Didn't mean to misinterpret your post. Thanks for straightening me out.

Beware of Doggerel
    Is it just me, or has the tone of the forum been more impatient this spring? It seems that people are so desperate for dirt that they're willing to risk damaging trails. I know some stretches of firm trail can be found, but how far can they run before hitting muddy stretches? Not very far, in my experience. I'm eager to get on some singletrack just like everyone else but, hey, we live in Alaska.
    Seems that way, but heck I feel this way every year. Been getting out on the road bike, and making trips out to the Glenn h-way ATV trails, but that's not quite the same. This time last year I hopped a plane down to colorado to get my fix. That carried me over until the trails dried. This year I've decided to stay home and just rant and rave on MTBR to keep myself happy. So far so good.

Part of the problem is, I'm thinking that its going to be mid June before it really dries out around here. Last year at this time there was already some dry trail to be found here and there. Hope I'm wrong on that, but there sure seems to be a lot of snow up on the mountains.

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Ologist
    I think "unsigned orders" don't mean much in a regulatory context- may not even be enforceable? I thought, based on what I heard in the past, is that it mostly volunteerism and highly encouraged.

I think July 1 is a little out of hand. Are they going to start shutting them down after it rains? Most of the Passes during the summer are really just dry intermittently. Johnson Pass was a mess last August, but not at the trailheads; and I wonder if many people turned back because of mud? USFS never posted the trail and bet it could be drier 3 weeks from now.

mtbr member
    There are some dry trails at Kincaid if you want to get off of pavement. From the main lodge look south at the rolling hills. There are few unpaved, grass covered, roads wandering through those hills. 90% of that is pretty dry. Is that ok to ride right now? I have seen quite a few bikers in there and most people seem to be pretty good at staying out of the wet stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Another opinion

Quote Originally Posted by mtbike_AK
    There are some dry trails at Kincaid if you want to get off of pavement. From the main lodge look south at the rolling hills. There are few unpaved, grass covered, roads wandering through those hills. 90% of that is pretty dry. Is that ok to ride right now? I have seen quite a few bikers in there and most people seem to be pretty good at staying out of the wet stuff.
    mtbike AK,
    Last night I ran the Jodpher Loop at Kincaid and would have to disagree. There were plenty of tire ruts on that loop and some spots were even a bit to soft under foot. I have been an avid dirt cyclist here in Anchorage for almost 12 years now and would be full of s%#t if I told you I've never been on our local trails before June 1st. Unfortunately this is not one of those years. We had an excellent trail conditions this winter, which means we have to be a bit more patient this spring. Those tracks you leave now will affect all of us throughout the season. Also think of the bigger picture..... The use of those trails is a privilege that we all take for granted. As each spring/summer approaches, more and more mt.bikers take to our trails earlier each year. We are being blamed for the erosion more than any user group (don't even get me started on the Equestrians). I'd hate for these trails to be closed off to us because of the actions of a few impatient ones. I'm also tired of my road bike and anxious to ride more dirt. That's right I said MORE dirt. Two weeks ago this Sunday, I rode Eklutna all the way out and back (26 miles or so). There was some snow at the end, but the soil was rocky under tire and minimal trail damage could be detected. Besides the hundred or so 4 wheelers couldn't tell anyways. Give Eklutna a try, it was well worth the short drive.
    Cheers
    C

mtbr member

Birchwood - dry trails - no crowds!

Last Saturday's ride in Birchwood - rooty - and narrower in lots of places and very dry - Had the Pugs out partially because of the riding I planned to do on the mudflats - too soft and sticky..and partially because a bunch of Pugs parts need to go back on the Turner.

Sure missed the Turner on these rooty trails!

Once I have these trails all stiched together I'll publish a Topofusion map - lots of neat stuff on these old survey lines and grown-over access roads.

crap, photos later
    Last edited by Mesotony; 05-17-2007 at 10:31 PM. Reason: card in camera doing strange things to my photos
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

Mar 2007
    What trails in Birchwood?? I live here and I'm always looking for places to ride! Do you bean the Beach Lake ski trails? There is no single track with roots on those trails. I also ride the "unofficial" trails behind the grade school. The Peters Creek Park with the disk golf baskets is an awesome place right now. It's tiny, but completely dry and some of the best "mini" single track practice around. More like a "single track" park (like a ski park). All levels of short sections of roots, bumps, river rock, a huge log, and a short descent that you would be crazy to attempt (at least with my skills!) It's riding through the woods at least, even if it is in small loops. I just stay out of the way of the disk golfers - they are serious about their game!

Members who have read this thread: 0