Where are we supposed to ride?- Mtbr.com
    Elitest thrill junkie

Where are we supposed to ride?

Hatchers? Is that where it's good?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    No snow up there, really. A bit on gold cord, but mostly icy. I'm not sure I'm gold mint, but if there is no snow there, it should be some sticky and fast riding. The crevasse morane/Kepler/greenbelt trails are some good fast tacky riding. Of course, the low lieing areas are dang cold. government peak might be some good riding with the new single track. Likewise, moose range might have some interesting options right now too with the swamp being frozen. The palmer bike park was some good riding as well. The river bottom should be good too. Lots of options, just no snow

Elitest thrill junkie
    I just got back from a ride. It sucked, dirt and ice. Rode earlier today too, that was mostly ice. I don't want to ride dirt and ice.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Well, if you want snow riding you might have to head outside. I hear even St. Louis has snow.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Rode Gold Mint today. Mix of grippy snow and frozen dirt, which was really fast. There were a few patches of solid, unrideable ice. Overall an excellent ride all the way to mile 6 on the hardtail on 2.25s.
    Last edited by rustyjacksons; 11-16-2014 at 02:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Are you kidding? The riding in Campbell Tract is fantastic, as is the riding in CSP. A nice layer of ice over frozen dirt. Really fast, not too cold, relatively smooth, totally fun. Studded tires and full suspension are the ticket.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroganof View Post
    Are you kidding? The riding in Campbell Tract is fantastic, as is the riding in CSP. A nice layer of ice over frozen dirt. Really fast, not too cold, relatively smooth, totally fun. Studded tires and full suspension are the ticket.
    Rode there last night, not too much ice, some of it mixed with frozen dirt and frost, but bumpy, much of the singletrack is in poor condition due to roots everywhere, both creek crossings on speedway have opened up considerably (water flowing across the steep one now), etc. If this is "fantastic", I'd hate to see "bad", although I have seen a lot more ice out there. I think it has a ways to go until it's "fantastic"

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    IMO Speedway is always kind of nasty without snow and best avoided now. But most of the other trails are really good - and smoother than they are in the summer. The tour trail, Moose Run, the horse trail, STA, Spencer and everything on the north side of Stuckagain are in great shape. The little ponds below North Bivouac are frozen and a hoot to ride on. STA trails are in great shape as well. Also, the super narrow trails are all exposed now which is fun. Having a billion sharp studs helps - running Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pros (29) and they provide amazing grip. The riding now is, in many ways, better than the summer riding. Plus, the ice skating is good. What is not too like?

mtbr member
    I think apples are being compared to oranges (mountain bikes to fat bikes). I've considered getting the mountain bike out but I don't really want to buy studded tires for the 29er. I spent waaaayyyyy too much money this year on bikes, gear, etc.

Hoping for snow but it looks like things are heating up again and it may actually rain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Fair enough re apples & oranges. On the other hand, riding is riding. And if you have to ride to stay sane, studded tires and a good light are worthy investments - and a whole lot better than therapists and ER bills. If we have another strange winter headed our way then best to embrace it, have a full quiver and be adaptable.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    FS fatty studded tires and a good light riding could not be better. Friday night rode down Resurrection Pass to Cooper Landing in the dark one of the best rides all year. Need to replace some of the studs I lost from my tires is the only downside.

mtbr member
    I'll just say that the single track out in the valley is amazing. Dry over frozen - no ice to speak of. Fast, grippy, and if I had a complaint it would be that it's dusty yet.

Thanks for the update on Gold Mint, Rusty. I might head up there today.

I ride fatty for every bit of riding I do and while I am doing my snow dance every day, I am enjoying the riding I'm getting in. I'm much happier with having hard fast conditions to ride rather than wet, sloppy conditions or so dang cold that it's miserable to ride.

Bikes are good
    Dome is dust and dirt.

Awesome.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Kepler Bradley is frozen with no ice. Pretty awesome!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Kincaid is mostly frozen dirt and occasional ice in places...its great! I tore it up on the cyclocross bike this morning

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by exp18 View Post
    FS fatty studded tires and a good light riding could not be better. Friday night rode down Resurrection Pass to Cooper Landing in the dark one of the best rides all year. Need to replace some of the studs I lost from my tires is the only downside.
    FS fatty? Bucksaw perhaps? Might be perfect bike for current conditions; frozen ruts, ice, etc...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ak_fit View Post
    FS fatty? Bucksaw perhaps? Might be perfect bike for current conditions; frozen ruts, ice, etc...
    Nope just a home brewed one from an old Jamis frame, but has worked pretty well. I think it will change the outlook on fat bikes with all the FS fatties that are coming out, itís a game changer for sure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where are we supposed to ride?-20141114_133545.jpg  

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by exp18 View Post
    Nope just a home brewed one from an old Jamis frame, but has worked pretty well. I think it will change the outlook on fat bikes with all the FS fatties that are coming out, itís a game changer for sure.
    Was nice seeing you out on the trail. That's an impressive fab job for sure!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Was nice seeing you out on the trail. That's an impressive fab job for sure!
    Thanks, always fun to meet people on the trail, I think we are pretty lucky here to have great trail and a great biking committee

is buachail foighneach me
    15" of snow above Turnagain Pass. Johnson's should be white.

National Weather Service, Alaska - Pacific River Forecast Center

mtbr member
    Mat-Lake trails are very fast now. Frozen hero dirt. Two new'ish trails as well. ( finished but not buffed yet ) hope "they" keep build out here...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Took a trip up The Dome trail today... It appears that the lower half of the trail(down from the T-intersection to the military road) has sustained some pretty serious damage. The picture shows the type of damage. It almost looks like someone brought a horse up there, but without seeing any actual horse-prints, it seems like it may have been intentional. It looks like someone tore up the center of the trail, on pretty much the entire lower section.

Otherwise, the upper half has some snow but it's manageable. Fast and fun, but the lower is sheet ice under snow and just flat out destroyed trail.Where are we supposed to ride?-20141123_133056.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where are we supposed to ride?-20141123_133056.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    No horse damage it was the frost alien

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ok then. This is my first year riding this late into the season, so i was a little disturbed. Thanks for clearing that up haha

mtbr member
    Government Peak's new single track is nice riding. Similar in places, though, to the images above of the Dome. The frost has heaved stuff up and then dropped away underneath in quite a few places. Makes for some challenging riding. Rode the trails yesterday and they were fun, but really dusty. Today I ran them on the dusting of snow and they were awesome fun. Lots of riders had been out and sampling. I also hear really good things about the Rippy trail off the end of Maud road out here. Haven't gotten over there yet, but it sounds like the borough has done some good work on rebuilding this trail.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Echo the sentiments about Kincaid, bowling alley side decent, middle earth side kind of "meh". Some jackass quite obviously rode the entire trail while it was soft and now it's here to stay. Overall good hard riding though.

Bikes are good
    How do you get to govt peak singletrack? Different than the shuttle run right? Ride Johnson pass today. Frozen dirt, ice, snow, mud, and 3 -4 in of unridden snow at the top. Great day overall. Also went on a side trip yesterday to long lake. Off the dome trail and way back into that valley. Is love to make that a more ride friendly trail. With a bit if work, would be epic. Made it to the lake with some hard work and route finding. Mostly rideable . Yeah, frost heave monster hit the dome. Two years ago runners raced that trail in the spring when it was thawing and like that. Must've been ankle deep mud post holes they made.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    How do you get to govt peak singletrack? Different than the shuttle run right?
    Palmer Fishhook like you are going to the mine. Turn Left on East Edgerton Parks Road kind of out yonder.

FatBike Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Government Peak's new single track is nice riding. Similar in places, though, to the images above of the Dome. The frost has heaved stuff up and then dropped away underneath in quite a few places. Makes for some challenging riding. Rode the trails yesterday and they were fun, but really dusty. Today I ran them on the dusting of snow and they were awesome fun. Lots of riders had been out and sampling. I also hear really good things about the Rippy trail off the end of Maud road out here. Haven't gotten over there yet, but it sounds like the borough has done some good work on rebuilding this trail.
    Glad to hear that the word is getting out on the new trails. The Rippy Trail reroute was a state DNR project, not Mat-Su Borough, but it's a fun trail all the same.

Also, the Nancy Lake Canoe Trail is prime time right now for studded tires. There were about a hundred skaters and a handful of bikers out there on Saturday.
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

mtbr member
    Thanks for the clarification - want to make sure credit is given where due. That way they might keep giving us new and improved trails to ride.

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    Thanks for the clarification - want to make sure credit is given where due. That way they might keep giving us new and improved trails to ride.
    Wildfire deserves just as much credit (both trails he worked on), we are lucky we have many highly skilled professional trail contractors here in Alaska.

FatBike Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    Wildfire deserves just as much credit (both trails he worked on), we are lucky we have many highly skilled professional trail contractors here in Alaska.
    Thanks for the kind words. I posted some more info about the Rippy Trail on a new thread.
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Elitest thrill junkie
    Alright, that's a little bit more like it.

Bit more than an inch at hilltop, MASSIVE traction in the STA trails, but pick-of-the-day would have to be first tracks on Brown Bear. Not sure if it's the D5 tires or the cold snow, but off-camber traction is awesome! Hilltop STA also amazing.

mtbr member
    Just got up to Hatchers twice today - once I tried to ride up to summit lake. Nothing doing. The base is completely unconsolidated and slip out city. Did some hill repeats from the gate to the first curve. Boring but a good workout. Took my daughter out tonight to Gold Mint trail and rode the first mile in the dark and snow and it was awesome. Well packed base with 2 or 3 inches of fresh pow on top. It was still snowing when we left so tomorrow might be a bit more of a challenge there.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yep, finally got some snow! Paper Plate is going to take a while, but Baseball Boogie was decent and probably even better now than when I did it earlier.