where to ride in Fairbanks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

where to ride in Fairbanks

going to be in fairbanks this summer and am bringing my bike what are some good trails to ride?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The Fairbanks Cycle Club is a good place to start. http://www.fairbankscycleclub.org/ Beaver Sports and Goldstream Sports should have some information.
    www.beaversports.com www.goldstreamsports.com There are trails around UAF if you want to ride in town. There are trails in Goldstream Valley that are close to town. There are trails out the Chena Hot Springs Road in the Chena River State Recreational Area if you want to drive 30 miles out of town to ride. There are trails in the White Mtns National Recreation Area about 30 miles out the Elliot Hwy and 25 to 54 miles out the Steese Hwy. Also along the Steese Hwy. past mile 25 there are all kinds of hunting and old mining roads-trails you can explore. You can reach me via e-mail, [email protected] for more information about trails in the area. t

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    We are thinking of a trip to Fbks for mountain bike riding. I looked at maps and info on fairbankscycleclub.org and its good infor although some of it is older. Got any suggestions for some 4 hourish rides?

mtbr member
    Well, I just posted some video of some fun singletrack in the area http://forums.mtbr.com/alaska/fairba...eo-921832.html
    However, none of these are long rides. You could head up to Murphy Dome, that road goes forever. I also like riding around Birch Hill, the White Bear loop could take up some time, and you could try other trails in the rec area.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I will be up in Fairbanks in Three weeks, I saw online a few trails on Birch Hill that look really fun.Can anyone ride at Birch Hill? I though it was a base. I would really like to ride there if possible. Last time I was there I also rode the Dome trails and some at the university. I would Like to get in the Birch hill down hill trails if anyone has info about riding there or would like to ride with me it would be awesome. Thanks
    Your big wheels are so awesome!

mtbr member
    Anyone can ride at Birch Hill, there's free parking and all. The trails are fairly wide, smooth and covered in leaves, although there's usually a clean line. Some spots do get a bit boggy though. I usually ride the White Bear loop, more of an exercise ride than anything. My friend has wanted to try some of the more difficult ski trails, but they just kind of meander through mosquito country and are full of steep climbs (I'm a slow fatty)

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Birch hill has a ski hill on on the base side and a x country ski trails on the other. The downhill section you are talking about i believe is on the skil hill side. I rode it last year, there wasn't any maintenance done to it at all and was quite rutted out, but was still fun. Maybe theyve done a little work to it this year but I haven't ridden it. Ill be out of town untill the 22nd of august but if you still are around, shoot me a PM and Ill take you up there.

mtbr member
    Birch Hill ( DH trail and a Single track'ish DH trail..both are fast and a lot of fun)

Ester Dome ( fast somewhat flow trails, nothing to technical or hard as far as climbs go, no real jumps to speak of, also fun)

That's all I know up their...Healy has some outstanding Freeride around the coal mine, and 49th state brewery is there ( specialize in German style ales and lagers, good food as well)

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    How far is Healy from fairbanks? I like free ride stuff to ride so that would be awesome. I am up for riding with anyone that is up for it. Thanks
    Your big wheels are so awesome!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpichu View Post
    How far is Healy from fairbanks? I like free ride stuff to ride so that would be awesome. I am up for riding with anyone that is up for it. Thanks
    Healy is about 90 miles south of Fairbanks, just a little ways north of Denali Park.

Members who have read this thread: 1