When does the snow melt?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

When does the snow melt?

My wife and I are coming to Alaska this summer and I want to make sure I can ride. So when does the snow melt around Anchorage? We're thinking of coming up the last week of May or early June.

Caveman
    You'll be good to go, breakup is late march to early April usually... It takes the trails a while to dry out after that - which is about the time you are comming.

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

Out of town trails later though

Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    You'll be good to go, breakup is late march to early April usually... It takes the trails a while to dry out after that - which is about the time you are comming.
    Probably important to note though that most out of town trails aren't open till mid-June or early July though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

June 1st in town, later out of town

Typically, the trails around Anchorage are not "open" to bikes until June 1st. Some years with warm springs open things up a week or so before that (such as this last year), but don't count on dry trails before June 1st. If you are looking to do anything more than the local in-town trails, you would want to wait until late June to July. Most trails outside of Anchorage are at higher elevations and get a lot more snow over the winter and require longer to melt and dry out. Riding the soft muddy trails in the spring frequenly leaves ruts in the trails that remain all year long, so try to stick to the firm trails if you can.

Aug 2007
    Southern exposed trails/climbs dry out early in May, racing starts in June www.Arcticbike.org

Members who have read this thread: 0