Wheels on Ice book- Mtbr.com
    HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

Wheels on Ice book

Man, and I thought you winter biking guys were insane. If you haven't taken a look at this book yet you need to! I'd like to find a copy, but the ones I've seen $100 plus used!

I'll let you know the secret location of the secret elevator to get you to the secret second floor "Alaska Collection" room at the Loussac for a small fee. I wandered all over the library trying to find it the other day. I finally had to ask the librarian where it was at.

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hmmmmmmmm

I have one that you can look at, from a distance, for a small fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    Man, and I thought you winter biking guys were insane. If you haven't taken a look at this book yet you need to! I'd like to find a copy, but the ones I've seen $100 plus used!

I'll let you know the secret location of the secret elevator to get you to the secret second floor "Alaska Collection" room at the Loussac for a small fee. I wandered all over the library trying to find it the other day. I finally had to ask the librarian where it was at.

mtbr member

title wave has

Title Wave has some nice copies - a little too nice for me at $60.00 a piece - but they said that they get cheaper versions too - you can request one - and they may call someday.
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

Mr. Woody is my hero

Tim Woody just called me to inform me of that they had some there. $50. Now there's 2 left in the store.

Diaskeuast

A few more left

When I was in Title Wave a couple of hours ago, I decided to ask about the book on the outside chance they might have a copy in stock. Turns out, they recently bought the contents of the old publisher's warehouse, so they had four copies in the store and two more in the Title Wave warehouse. All the copies I saw were in new condition and wrapped in vinyl bags for $50. I bought one, then called Dave because it was his earlier post that caused me to be thinking of it tonight.

I figured this was a rare and never-to-be-seen-again chance to get a copy in such good shape. If you want one, don't wait too long to boogie on down there.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    As a show of my gratitude, I will try my hardest never to again mention and/or poke fun at your old "ALL4LV" license plate or pretty purple house.

Diaskeuast
    As a show of my gratitude, I will try my hardest never to again mention and/or poke fun at your old "ALL4LV" license plate or pretty purple house.
    That's why you're the guy they were thinking of when they came up with the saying, "With friends like you, who needs enemas?"

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Speaking of wheels on ice, I saw your photo of the tall bike in the latest issue of Dirt Rag. Nice one!

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

Dirt Rag Article

Speaking of wheels on ice, I saw your photo of the tall bike in the latest issue of Dirt Rag. Nice one!
    Mentioning photos, wheels on ice, and DirtRag.. did you ever submit that story about Frigid Bits with photos?

Christopher

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

old bike books

A while back i also saw a PDF version of it floating around somewhere.

I actually picked up my copy of it from Amazon.de (Germany) a couple years ago. Sometimes the antique store on Old Seward gets old biking books. I recently picked up a 1941 copy of the "Chicago Bike Club's" bike touring book. It is pretty funny.

Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by rio
    I have one that you can look at, from a distance, for a small fortune.

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by crsouser
    Mentioning photos, wheels on ice, and DirtRag.. did you ever submit that story about Frigid Bits with photos?
    I'm not sure if this question was directed at me, or Dave. I heard something about someone planning to submit a Frigid Bits article to Dirt Rag, but it wasn't me. From what I hear, they pay very poorly for stories so, as a writer, it's not really worth it.

They've never paid me anything for the photos they've used. I only send them to Dirt Rag because I'm already shooting them while I'm out goofing around, so there's no real time investment and it's good to see Alaska represented in the "Rider's Eye" section of the magazine.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    I never did...I was way too busy riding all winter.

Diaskeuast
    I never did...I was way too busy riding all winter.
    Yeah, riding the recliner. He nearly wore right through the upholstery. And don't even think about trying to read the channel numbers on his TV remote. They were rubbed off by the middle of January. By then, the Domino's delivery driver was snowblowing Dave's driveway just to save himself time.

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

Dirt Rag Pubs

Quote Originally Posted by timwoody
    They've never paid me anything for the photos they've used. I only send them to Dirt Rag because I'm already shooting them while I'm out goofing around, so there's no real time investment and it's good to see Alaska represented in the "Rider's Eye" section of the magazine.
    Yeah.. It was directed towards Dave.. I was going to submit a few.. but never got around to it.

In some ways I wouldn't be overly concerned about the money, my friend writes for some of Microsofts rags and they don't pay a darn either, but I don't know.. maybe its an ego thing. Cool that you are a published photographer (if you aren't already) in a national publication. I have only gotten my stuff in Corporate Marketing stuff so far and have a few I am getting ready for stock.

ok.. I guess I have gotten us off topic a bit..

Christopher

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    I got 50 bucks for a picture and half a page of text a couple years ago. I did a "Last Chance for Gas" column (issue 111 if I remember correctly). Not too bad for something that was just an e-mail I sent to them.

I've had pictures published too, but just in the "Reader's Eye" which you don't get paid for.

Feb 2007
    FYI you can order the Wheels on Ice from Title Wave online at www.wavebooks.com - and they will either hold your books in front (for free) or ship media mail for free. They claim to have 3 on hand.

FatBike Fiend

AK NW Publishing Co. to be reborn

Read an article somewhere that the publishing company that printed "Wheels on Ice" is being reopened and they were going to republish a lot of their out of print books. I'm not sure if "Wheels on Ice" will be among them, though. Great book, I'm hanging on to my copy.
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Members who have read this thread: 0