Wheel Ideas....- Mtbr.com

Thread: Wheel Ideas....

Sep 2005

Wheel Ideas....

Who has explored the idea of setting up a Fat Bike with a larger wheel up front...like a 100mm up front and an 80 in the rear?

Advantages...Disadvantages

comeback

M

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by qayaq_alaska
    Who has explored the idea of setting up a Fat Bike with a larger wheel up front...like a 100mm up front and an 80 in the rear?
    I was considering that very thing!

I'm running Large Marge's, but am considering going to the 80mm rims. Then I had a thought that maybe I could run the 100 in front since I really don't think my WildFire has the clearance in the rear triangle. My only reservation with the 100 in front is I'm running a standard front hub width fork, and don't think that wide wheel/tire combo would fit between the tight gap of my brake caliper and drive-side dropout. Here's where the 135mm spacing of a Pugsley fork makes sense! For those not running a front brake, probably no problem. I do, and I think it would create some pain with wheel removal issues.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by qayaq_alaska

Advantages...Disadvantages

comeback

M
    I did this two winters ago--100f and 80r. The only disadvantage is that you quickly realize how superior the 100mm is and you run out of excuses for keeping the 80.

I initially liked how the 100f gave more predictable handling in windblown and otherwise 'sketchy' barely rideable conditions. Then I liked how I could run it at ~7-8psi ALL THE TIME and never really needed to fiddle with PSI on the trail. Then I went back to the 80, briefly.

All 100's, all the time for me.

MC

mtbr member
    Great. Now I have to find some red anodized 100's...
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Is there a problem with running the 100mm rim in a 100mm front fork?

Fatback
    Keep in mind what and where you are riding. Mike rides stuff most people will never see. He also comes from a place that gets much more snow, more often than we do here. I used a 100 front 80 rear for a little while and was much happier with the 80's all around, though I'm even happier about the 70mm rims since the tires are effectively the same width as the 80's and they are much lighter. Pushing around a 1540gram rim is not necc. for 99% of what we ride here, but I suppose when you are on your way to Nome, nothing else is better.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

Members who have read this thread: 0