Whats a good defense against bears???- Mtbr.com
    ThisseatmakemyA$$lookfat?

New question here. Whats a good defense against bears???

Well, I usually ride alone. You just never know with any type of wild animal. I almost hit a BIG baby moose a few days ago standing on the trail... As many moose as I see, I'm sure theres bears close by... I know bears smell (not too good), so...
    What is a good defense against bears (besides a .357 mag)? I hear different stories about pepper spray, bear bells (I hear that they come after you now, its like a supper bell to them???), etc... I was just wondering if all these miracle bear sprays; bells & whistles, etc is really any defense against bears???
    I heard about the do not run, don't panic...
    aka: akfreeridemtber; brian_404
    Just get out and, RIDE!!!
    www.facebook.com/shagwn007

Bikes are good

Be vewy vewy qwiet, and they won't heaw you.

No bell dude. That sh''' is irritating for other people on the trail and you. Holler and yell when you feel sketched out. It's like spidey sense. Whenever I feel like it's too damn quiet, and the brush is thick, I know Yogi is close so I yell "Hey B%&$ch, come get some." and they never do. Yelling this will also let horse riders and hikers know you are on the way and that they should run and hide in the bushes.

MidnightBroomstickCowboy
    Jun 2008
    One common defense is to play dead or rolls into a ball and let him batter you around a little till it gets bored and goes away. Another option is to carry bearspray and mace it in the face when it approaches you. Carry it in a holder along your waist or a in a pack. Here's a site about it and a demo.

http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/b_spray.html
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=_VuKmQ1q-ec
    "As a true patriotic American, I blindly follow what my elected leaders tell me." - Jack English

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    I'm taking a "bear proof container" and some bear spray on my trip up to DNP. Spray and pray is my motto. Haha!

I'd like to carry my 18" shotgun but that might be intimidating to other people and I really don't want to carry 7 more pounds.

I wouldn't go smaller than a .44. I wouldn't even use a .44 because I shoot them like crap and would never be able to hit one running at me.

Dec 2006
    What bear container are you taking DaveIT? REI didn't have to many that I saw... 18" shotgun...? Iam not to gun savvy are you referring to the length? seems a bit short thought more around 36" length measured from the trigger area. Also bad idea if you kill a bear on a bike you may attract more bears to come out... since you can't tow a bear with racks or even a bob trailer.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    I got a Backpacker's Cache (Model 812). It was the black one on sale at REI during their anniversary sale. I really wanted the see-through ones they have, but I figured for $25-$30 less I could live with a black one. I've fit 4 Mountain House Pro meals, 15 clif bars, some Gu, smelly toiletries and some other small stuff. It fits in one of my Ortlieb Bike Packer Plus panniers with a little room to spare.

18" is just the barrel length...common for home defense/bear gun. A shorter barrel swings quicker and is easier to maneuver with through woods (or your house I guess...) Shooting a bear would be a pain in the butt because you have to report it, salvage the hide, etc...I don't have time for that during my vacation.

Oh well, I have to finish packing up and get ready for some friends to visit. I'll post a trip report when I get back.

No, that's not phonetic
    Pepper spray works great. It is light, handy, and non-fatal if you shoot yourself by accident.

Riding fast works too. We got chased by a big coastal brownie down here in Kodiak a while back and just outran the lumbering oaf. I recommend at least a 32x14 or higher gear.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Sorry, but....

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Pepper spray works great. It is light, handy, and non-fatal if you shoot yourself by accident.

Riding fast works too. We got chased by a big coastal brownie down here in Kodiak a while back and just outran the lumbering oaf. I recommend at least a 32x14 or higher gear.
    Unless you are on a nice downhill hardpacked dirt road or paved road, you will not be able to outrun a bear who actually wants to get you. Not saying you didn't outrun the bear, but if you did, it wasn't because he couldn't keep up, just that he didn't want to badly enough. They can run 35mph+ when they want to. I would really not recommending running (or riding in this case) away. With a browny, they want to make sure you are no longer a threat, which usually means playing dead works well if attacked. Blacks will sometimes just chew on you for the fun of it, so fighting back is a better option as you might get lucky and get them to back off long enough to allow you to get away.

Pepper spray probably works well, but I prefer something I can reload when on longer trips. Nothing like using up your bear spray on the 1st or 2nd day of a week trip and realizing you are vulnerable the rest of the trip. The biggest thing is to use something that you will both have with you more often and something that you can get easy access to. No matter what you choose to use, having it in your backpack isn't going to do a thing for that bruin that charges out of the brush (even having it in your hand at that point may not be good enough in many cases).

Bikes are good

ummmm...

I've spent an awful lot of time in the woods riding, hiking, camping, and in the middle of bear neighborhoods and all. I've never had to empty a can of bear spray and go for my back up during a week long trip. Actually, I've never used it once. Bears don't give a damn about us unless we don't let them know we are there. In that case, if you are the quiet prick with a gun that shoots the bear you snuck up on to hell with you and your gun toting values.

Bring pepper spray if it makes you feel better. Make a bunch of noise. PERIOD. Bears are smart animals, and they know they don't like humans. Unless, you sneak up on them. I'd be pissed too if a flourescent lycra wearing douchebag rolled up on me when I was sleeping, or eating and getting all up in my stuff. I'd put a 2 inch claw in his face, chomp on his skull and take a crap on him.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier
    Sorry, but...
    Don't be bitter just because yer slow.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

@adelorenzo
    I recommend a good dog. They're a good early warning system, and will often chase bears off. At least mine does.

mtbr member

bear tips

check out the information here and here

when I've encountered bears on trails in Anchorage, I've stopped right away and started talking. If they're pretty close, I back away slowly. If they're far enough away, I just stop and wait to see what they do. Each time, they've left me alone.

keep in mind that the areas along the creeks have the highest traffic, esp. when the fish are running (black & brown bears). Very often they're walking to or from the creek. Every bear I've seen has been within 100 yards of the Campbell Creek, but they're everywhere in the park.

I don't use bells because it covers the sounds in the woods that might alert me to the fact that there's a bear or moose moving through the area. Same goes for tunes. I figure the more I can hear, the safer I am.

Good job! I figure the more I can hear, the safer I am.

Quote Originally Posted by akrose
    check out the information here and here
    I figure the more I can hear, the safer I am.
    akrose
    I like listening to my mp3 player when I ride. Gets me more pumped up. But I don't have it super loud... But your right, "I figure the more I can hear, the safer I am." I do ride without listen to mp3s somethimes. It's nice just listen to the sounds in the woods. Know what I mean?
    I clear my throat a lot, and cough. I do try and make a lot of noise. I guess the mtb makes noise too, with the cassette, and the mtb bouncing around on the dirt...
    I've been going to Hilltop a lot. I guess a couple bear sprays attached to the front straps my back pack wouldn't hurt, huh???
    There's usually a lot of people roaming around Hilltop area anyways. I usually see people here and there on the trails running, mtbing, dog walking, etc...

My Brain Hurts!
    A good bear defense is a pork roast in the slowest guys pack.......

Okay, I'll shut up now.........
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Funny....

[QUOTE=Elfbkr50]I've spent an awful lot of time in the woods riding, hiking, camping, and in the middle of bear neighborhoods and all. I've never had to empty a can of bear spray and go for my back up during a week long trip. Actually, I've never used it once. Bears don't give a damn about us unless we don't let them know we are there. In that case, if you are the quiet prick with a gun that shoots the bear you snuck up on to hell with you and your gun toting values.

Bring pepper spray if it makes you feel better. Make a bunch of noise. PERIOD. Bears are smart animals, and they know they don't like humans. Unless, you sneak up on them. I'd be pissed too if a flourescent lycra wearing douchebag rolled up on me when I was sleeping, or eating and getting all up in my stuff. I'd put a 2 inch claw in his face, chomp on his skull and take a crap on him.[/Q

Well, I see I must have touched a nerve there with alluding to the use of guns for self protection. All I mentioned was MY preference and one of the reasons for it. I hope to never use it for what I got it for (both animals AND humans), but it is something I would much rather have and not need than not have and need...

Where did you get the idea that I would be "the quiet prick with a gun that shoots the bear you snuck up on"? Bit of a stretch to make that kind of assumption. It seems you must have had some prior event in mind that really ticked you off. Don't go applying that one experience to others you have no idea about.

I agree that making a fair amount of noise is the best way to avoid a bear. They usually don't want to have any more to do with us than we do with them. Bells, talking to yourslelf or friend, whistling, etc... Anything that makes unnatural sounds usually works. As far as self defense, I will repeat my point that you should make sure to get something that you will actually carry with you. I don't know how many people I have talked to who have gone out and bought bear spray and it has never left the house or car. Bears don't usually give you the chance for a "time out".

mtbr member
    Around here the key is to ride with someone slower and more rotund. It's not about being faster than the bear, it is being faster than the slowest guy. It works out really well though as I always have someone to ride with, and one day I'll be as fast as them!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Had a fair share of bear encounters even had one want to crawl in my tent with me.... but they all ran at the sound of my voice (high pitched girly screams) or maybe it was b.o. .. in any case have been charged by moose 4 times(1 time even happened during the invitational this year), musk ox once and dogs more than I care to remember. You're more likely to get attacked by a dog than a bear. In the event a bear happens to maul me I feel comfortable knowing the .44 is in my packback buried under a bunch of stuff.

I carry a few bike tools, a wind breaker, and tire patch kit(s) with me in my camel back. So throwing on a couple of bear sprays to the front strap would be no problem or maybe I can just attach them to my belt?
    When I was MTBin' at Mt. Alyeska. I did see maybe a 1-2 year old black bear close to the hotel, by a small group of trees. I was out in the open, coming down the trail pass chair 7, and it was busy just playing around, or whatever it was doing. It didn't see me, or it could careless... I also saw 3 people sneaking up on it trying to take pictures??? I saw some people coming up the trail. I stopped and I told them to watch out, that there was a baby black bear around the corner by those group of trees. Do you know what they asked me??? Is that dangerous? OMG!!! I was floored!!! I couldn't believe they asked me that...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    i used to ride with a guy who had 2 water bottle cages, one was for water. the other for bearspray. a good downgrade helps. dont shoot yourself and be aware what direction the wind is blowing before you unload. also, bangers can be used in close and tense, but not threatening situtions.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Dad used to work on interstate roads in the building process and while welding in a loader bucket late at night out in the wild more than once did wildlife come to see him even swatting him on the back! Well dad loved Drydeen starting fluid! Of course kept in a toolbox while welding but close at hand. One shot in the nose and it's sleepy time for mr bear. They roam around for a while then just lay down. Works on snakes too, cheap and you get lot's of shots. He used to stickweld, but whenever he had the rosebud out nothing came around! I guess either the Acyetlene or the blue flame didn't attract wildlife!

Bikes are good
    Well, I see I must have touched a nerve there with alluding to the use of guns for self protection. All I mentioned was MY preference and one of the reasons for it. I hope to never use it for what I got it for (both animals AND humans), but it is something I would much rather have and not need than not have and need...

I wasn't fired up about what you said in your first note. I am now though. You carry a gun around on the trails, movie theater, grocery store just in case an animal or a human needs to be shot?? Every person I see that has a gun on any trail or mountain is a fat, stupid, scared little man. Tell me Anchskier, what exactly would a human need to be doing to you in order for you to use your gun on them?

What's crazy is,how there are way, way more bears killed by humans than humans killed by bears. There were some folks charged yesterday in the park (I won't say where because I don't want you going there to shoot the bears, or people in this area.) Dudes hit the bear with ski poles and the bear ran away. If you were there, you would have shot the bear leaving 2 cubs mother-less who would probably end up euthanized. 3 bears down, one gun toting idiot still toting.

You, gun man, are the more dangerous and less predictable of the two species in this case.

It's your preference, I get it. Sorry for being an a-hole, but my preference is to share trails with Non-gun users. I don't have that right since you have a right to carry your gun. I just think it's crazy and unnecessary.

Oh, I didn't think you'd be the quiet prick with the gun. It was kind of a general statement.

Where did you get the idea that I would be "the quiet prick with a gun that shoots the bear you snuck up on"? Bit of a stretch to make that kind of assumption. It seems you must have had some prior event in mind that really ticked you off. Don't go applying that one experience to others you have no idea about.

I agree that making a fair amount of noise is the best way to avoid a bear. They usually don't want to have any more to do with us than we do with them. Bells, talking to yourslelf or friend, whistling, etc... Anything that makes unnatural sounds usually works. As far as self defense, I will repeat my point that you should make sure to get something that you will actually carry with you. I don't know how many people I have talked to who have gone out and bought bear spray and it has never left the house or car. Bears don't usually give you the chance for a "time out".[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Get your stories straight....

Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50

I wasn't fired up about what you said in your first note. I am now though. You carry a gun around on the trails, movie theater, grocery store just in case an animal or a human needs to be shot?? Every person I see that has a gun on any trail or mountain is a fat, stupid, scared little man. Tell me Anchskier, what exactly would a human need to be doing to you in order for you to use your gun on them?

What's crazy is,how there are way, way more bears killed by humans than humans killed by bears. There were some folks charged yesterday in the park (I won't say where because I don't want you going there to shoot the bears, or people in this area.) Dudes hit the bear with ski poles and the bear ran away. If you were there, you would have shot the bear leaving 2 cubs mother-less who would probably end up euthanized. 3 bears down, one gun toting idiot still toting.

You, gun man, are the more dangerous and less predictable of the two species in this case.

It's your preference, I get it. Sorry for being an a-hole, but my preference is to share trails with Non-gun users. I don't have that right since you have a right to carry your gun. I just think it's crazy and unnecessary.

Oh, I didn't think you'd be the quiet prick with the gun. It was kind of a general statement.

I agree that making a fair amount of noise is the best way to avoid a bear. They usually don't want to have any more to do with us than we do with them. Bells, talking to yourslelf or friend, whistling, etc... Anything that makes unnatural sounds usually works. As far as self defense, I will repeat my point that you should make sure to get something that you will actually carry with you. I don't know how many people I have talked to who have gone out and bought bear spray and it has never left the house or car. Bears don't usually give you the chance for a "time out".
    [/QUOTE]

This is getting more and more comical by the minute.... I appologize to the rest of the guys (or gals) in here, but I have to reply just once more....

Before you start to refer to recent stories, you might want to try to get them straight. First off, the guy never hit the bear with the ski poles, he waved them in front of the bear. Second, the bear didn't run off right after, but rather turned and charged and just missed the other guy as he slipped. The bear then didn't just run away either. It bluff charged again, stopping a little further away before running off. Both of these guys are friends of mine. I know exactly where it is. It really doesn't matter if I was there or not. This bear got to them so fast there would have been no way to use anything (spray, gun, rock, etc...) fast enough uless it was already in your hands (as the ski poles were). Once the bear is running away, no threat, not problem. Now, if the bear had decided to chomp down on the 2nd guy rather than just swing it's head by as it went past and I was there, damn right I would have emptied the clip if I had time to get it out. The life of a human is of more value than a bear.

You really like to make assumptions about knowing all about me when you prove to have absolutely no idea. You seem to imply I must be "a fat, stupid, scared little man". That statement alone shows you know nothing about me.

I'm sorry you feel scared, but I really don't care. I am going to do what I feel is best for my own safety. We obviously have differening opinions on what we feel is the better option, I can respect that. I am not trying to change your opinion, but rather just stating mine. Rest assured, I have not ever, nor will I ever, go out looking for a bear or anything else (other than hunting to put meat in the freezer) to just shoot as you seem to keep suggesting. I am not some psycho, machine gun toting lunatic. I am probably not much different than anyone else here, I just choose to use a different form of self protection that I feel would be more effective. I know there are some like that though (that guy who shot the moose out at Kincaid years ago, now he was nuts and that was totally uncalled for and unprevoked), so I don't totally fault you for your thinking. Just don't automatically apply that feeling toward everyone just because you don't feel like making the effort to find out for yourself.

Bikes are good

Yeah. Let's quit. We ride, we have that in common.

You can ride your gun around.

I can think it's crazy.

Wanna go for a ride?

Yeah, I don't want to carry a gun. I think I would be more of a danger to myself...
    I was kinda in the same area as those two runners (they were there around 12:05pm). I heard a bunch people yelling kinda to the west of me when I was in the creek area later that evening (7:00pmish)... I thought some people were just having funn... So the bear must still have been in the area...
    I guess the best thing to do is do not run, don't panic.

Check out this video from you tube. You don't think bears aren't fast???
    Bear Attack Easton Bowhunting TV
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=uMbnmLLnsfw

Here what NOT to do... Do you think this fence really offers any protect???
    Grizzly Bear bluff charges against a fence
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=JB3UlXwyrd4&feature=related

is pimpin the system
    Jun 2008

Glock 29

Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    I'd like to carry my 18" shotgun but that might be intimidating to other people and I really don't want to carry 7 more pounds.

I wouldn't go smaller than a .44. I wouldn't even use a .44 because I shoot them like crap and would never be able to hit one running at me.
    I did carry a S&W .44 model 629, but because of weight and the lack of use now I carry a Glock 29 10mm with me. It is not quite the power of the 44, but it has more power than a 45, and I get 10-15 rounds depending on the clip. The Glock is lighter and is a subcompact design (thanks to Austrian engineering). I only carry a gun on rides deep in the woods when its less than three people going. So now you have some options, lay then on the floor with the 44, or get silly with the 10milli! Oh and did I also mention that less traffic cuts me off on my way home?

Ologist
    I spent much time last summer collecting bear hair along Campbell, Rabbit, and Bird creek as part of a population study in the Anchorage Bowl. I was getting fresh bear hair about every two days all along Campbell tract and on the Hillside (powerline etc). At one site I was consistently getting hair 7.5 feet up in a tree while I watched groups of summer campers meander along the trail opposite me. The population estimate that came out of the collection was minimum of 36 (might have been 37) brown bears in the Anchorage bowl during the summer. Capture data showed that many of those den in the bowl and that some bears weighed over 1000 pounds.

With that being said, my three mainstays are still:

1) make noise (beyond coughing, bear bells, or conversation - most of these noises are short range and fade into the background especially in spring and along creeks). This also alerts others on the trail users before there is that awkward high speed encounter.
    2) Bear spray in the water bottle cage - it ain't going to help in your pack.
    3) Ipods are out - unless I only have 1 bud in and it is not that loud.If your can't hear shrubs moving or sticks breaking than it is too loud.
    4)Try to ride in pairs (This one is the rule I beak all of the time)
    Last edited by Valhalla; 06-17-2008 at 11:45 AM.

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by AKrider49
    I did carry a S&W .44 model 629, but because of weight and the lack of use now I carry a Glock 29 10mm with me. It is not quite the power of the 44, but it has more power than a 45, and I get 10-15 rounds depending on the clip. The Glock is lighter and is a subcompact design (thanks to Austrian engineering). I only carry a gun on rides deep in the woods when its less than three people going. So now you have some options, lay then on the floor with the 44, or get silly with the 10milli! Oh and did I also mention that less traffic cuts me off on my way home?
    I know a guy in the Brooks Range who used to carry a glock ( I think it was a 9 mm) in the field in the early 90's until he had a bad encounter. It didn't really help and he only carries a worthy weapon now. But then there is that native guy out of the Eagle area that took a grizzly out with a .357 and a black bear with a .22.

IMO the gun is to prevent contact with the bear so bring something effective or don't bring anything. I am sure some gut shots may push a bear off you but I wouldn't count on being able to use your side arm when the bear is on top of you.

I was going to mention the 629 which is lighter but it sounds like you have already gone that route. I don't carry mine in town but I do on longer more remote trips. Doesn't make sense when I think about it though

Ologist

Before you start to refer to recent stories, you might want to try to get them straight. First off, the guy never hit the bear with the ski poles, he waved them in front of the bear. Second, the bear didn't run off right after, but rather turned and charged and just missed the other guy as he slipped. The bear then didn't just run away either. It bluff charged again, stopping a little further away before running off. Both of these guys are friends of mine. I know exactly where it is. It really doesn't matter if I was there or not. This bear got to them so fast there would have been no way to use anything (spray, gun, rock, etc...) fast enough uless it was already in your hands (as the ski poles were).

[/QUOTE]

The report I got was that they were making noise - is that chatter or shouting etc?
    Last edited by Valhalla; 06-17-2008 at 03:19 PM.

is pimpin the system
    Jun 2008

Something is better than nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla
    IMO the gun is to prevent contact with the bear so bring something effective or don't bring anything. I am sure some gut shots may push a bear off you but I wouldn't count on being able to use your side arm when the bear is on top of you.

I was going to mention the 629 which is lighter but it sounds like you have already gone that route. I don't carry mine in town but I do on longer more remote trips. Doesn't make sense when I think about it though
    I am confident that if I am able to get to my Glock in time, that it will have an effect on the outcome, more so than effect than my fists. There is something to be said about having double the rounds. I like bears and respect then and don't want to harm them, unless they are munching on me. Bring what ever you want to bring dude, I don't mind if you decide to bring nothing at all. The plastic Glock works for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10mm_Auto#Performance

Dec 2006
    This thread is becoming hard to read don't know if it's the new glasses or what... The bottom line is not whether you are gun toting or not it's whether the trail user is responsible enough to avoid encountering the bear in the first place! just because you have the means to destroy life does not mean one goes out in search to destroy life right? (well there are some nutcases out and about) If the user does everything he/she can to avoid encounters then this problem should not arise... (I have not had any bear encounters but I run into moose almost everyday never had to run away I have startled a few but they have startled me as well blind curve around the Worthington dealer.) I don't carry heat because if someone else gets a hold of it and Iam left with nothing Iam screwed...

A wounded bear is more dangerous than a non-wounded bear...

Yeah, no guns for me. If you shoot any type of bear, you better shoot to kill... A wounded bear is more dangerous than a non-wounded bear... I guess hilltop is okay. I don't plan going that deep into the woods like to some remote cabin, etc... If I was going that deep into the woods, one, I wouldn't go a lone, and two, I think I would have a rifle...
    I was just wondering what other people use, or don't use...

Dec 2006
    indeed Brian_404 this thread started out as protection against bears and turned into something completely different... another train wrecked post

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by brian_404
    ... I guess hilltop is okay. I don't plan going that deep into the woods like to some remote cabin, etc... If I was going that deep into the woods, one, I wouldn't go a lone, and two, I think I would have a rifle...
    I was just wondering what other people use, or don't use...
    Brian - I guess that what I was addressing a bit before in my previous post. The bears in Anchorage are bottlenecked into the same areas that everyone recreates in (as well as the new proposed STA trails). Basically it is the creeks and drainages coming out of the Chugach. Ship and Campbell here in town are huge corridors for bears that are connected enough to move all the way to Kincaid and Hilltop.

IMO we need to be vigilant on the trail first and foremost because although encounters with bears are fortunately rare on the hillside trails, the presence of resident brown bears is not.

I do not carry a sidearm in town but I do out of town. Doesn't really make sense and I question what leads me to that decision. I think it is the same mindset that many Anchoragites have - "we are in town on trails and probably do not need to worry" or "I have been in Alaska for xx years and never had a problem on the Hillside"

I also think that when one travels in the backcountry with a gun they become less vigilant and maybe let their guard down more often than if they were travelling with bear spray or nothing at all.

Just my 2 cents since this is a topic pretty close to home.

Right on Valhalla... I've lived here forever... I just never thought about running into bears, until I started hearing about all these bear encounters everywhere the pass few years... So I thought if I was going to start spending more time in the woods, I was just wondering what other people use, or don't use...
    Last year, I had my 07 P2 cromo. So all I did was the urban thing...
    I did ride a couple times at Kincaid Park last year. Then I got home and read on adn.com that there was a baby black bear stocking people in Kincaid Park...

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by elgeneralsv
    indeed Brian_404 this thread started out as protection against bears and turned into something completely different... another train wrecked post
    I don't see the train wreck or the difficulty of reading this thread. The best thing to come out of it was that it was more than a page long and it wasn't about bike races.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Same here

Quote Originally Posted by AKrider49
    That is about the same story with me. I also have the Glock 29 for the same reasons. Biggest bang in a small, easy to carry package. Like you, I don't carry it when in groups since the added noise of the groups is more effective than anything you could carry (also, in a groups, odds are that I can either outrun or outbike at least one or two others, sooooo..... ).

Dec 2006
    seemed hard to read as I was going down the list and some posts appear not in order... or at least to me... I mean what else needs to be said other than do your best to avoid bear encounters... then the post seems to go into whether you should always carry a pistol or rifle around... IMHO

Members who have read this thread: 0