what's with the AK*bla*bla alias?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

what's with the AK*bla*bla alias?

why so many people with the AK** alias? i don't see any KA*bla*bla for people from kansas. not trying to offend, just curious. anyway, here's a pic of a ride from a few weeks ago on a frozen lake by our local juneau glacier.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Nice picture................

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus
    why so many people with the AK** alias? i don't see any KA*bla*bla for people from kansas. not trying to offend, just curious. anyway, here's a pic of a ride from a few weeks ago on a frozen lake by our local juneau glacier.
    I don't know what to tell ya about the handle. I think it just lets people know where you are from, nothing more. Maybe some local rider's looking for a partner...presto, Ak Dave, maybe he lives near me and would like to get together. A simple contact thing, or nothing at all. If you come to Anchorage this summer contact an AK rider on this board and maybe we all can ride.

Dave

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AkDave
    I don't know what to tell ya about the handle. I think it just lets people know where you are from, nothing more. Maybe some local rider's looking for a partner...presto, Ak Dave, maybe he lives near me and would like to get together. A simple contact thing, or nothing at all. If you come to Anchorage this summer contact an AK rider on this board and maybe we all can ride.

Dave
    AKDave: that would be cool, to get together for a ride in the anchorage area. i get up there quite abit, but never with a bike or enough time to ride. the outskirts of anchorage and some areas in town look to make for endless riding opportunities. i also thought about the AIDS ride, but haven't done it. if you're a road rider, a really fun relay race is the kluane race from haines jt in the yukon down to haines. it's in june, 160 mi in beautiful terrain. some teams come down from anchorage.

Jun 2003

I used to work as a guide in the Kluane area...

as a cycling guide for Alaska Bicycle Adventures. I would really like to get back into that area, as it has been a few years. Perhaps one of us will have a loaner in the right size when you get to Anchorage.

Jan 2004
    You haven't seen Ken in KC's handle on these boards? There's also quite a few handles with AZ in them somewhere. As Dave said, it does make it easier to get an idea where the person is from.

I'm AK Ken because the first time I posted I typed in 'Ken' as a user name and the board said we gotta metric shitload of Kens already, you gotta narrow it down some.

Where did YOUR handle come from? I must say, it doesn't conjure up images of Alaska, or Juneau, or even America. Trying to hide?

Ken

Jun 2003

Yeah, I can see the use.

I am lucky enough to have a first name that is rare enough that I can use it. The State surnames do help to narrow down where you are on the Rock.

mtbr member
    Cygnus--a rather prominent constellation visible year-round at northern latitudes.

Jan 2004
    Jeez, I guess you told ME!!!!!

My initial investigation indicates this is also known as the 'summer triangle' which essplains my ignernce as we don't see any stars in the summer in truly northern latitudes. =)

Give my regards to the capitol. Er, capital. Seat of gubmint (about the same latitude as San Francicso, aren't you?)

Ken

mtbr member
    that's a good one ken. i see cygnus every winter night that it is clear and it reminds me of winter night rides. juneau is not the same latitude as SF, but maybe not too far off politically. i think any location for our state gov't will be scorned, given how ineptly it is run. in that way, it wouldn't break my heart if it moved. this is a funny little state in some ways. from reading your posts, our riding conditions sure differ. winter doesn't truely set in here as it does for you. it's cool, rainy, and windy today. it went studless yesterday for the first day in a while because most of our snow and ice has melted. i do my share of suffering in the winter, even if doesn't mean extremely low temps. not the best for riding, our climate does makes for cool forests. by the way, cygnus 'the swan' is not far from polaris, so it would be visible any night of the year in alaska so long as it is dark and clear. cheers.
    Last edited by Cygnus; 02-08-2004 at 02:22 PM.

Jan 2004
    We don't have Polaris here, only Arctic Cat, so I still don't see your constellation! (I'll check it out next time the opportunity arises, though).

I don't care where the seat of government is; I'll stay away from it any chance I get anyway .

There are definitely different kinds of 'suffering'; what most people think are pleasant summer temps are WAY too hot for me to ride in.

Stay dry.

Ken

mtbr member
    I would imagine you ride on snow machine trails alot this time of year. we just received a monsoon-like warm rain that melted all of our sealevel snow leaving alot of thawing dog poop everywhere. seems almost springlike today.
    polaris is the north star, sometimes called polestar, and is part of the handle on the little dipper constellation. cygnus is not far away. it's shaped like a two wings, kind of appearing as a stealth jet. i'm sure you see it all winter as it's such a fixture of the north sky. supposedly, there's a black hole in the direction of cygnus.

Jan 2004
    Yeah, that was a joke about Polaris. We were star gazing on the Island in the Sky outside Moab last fall and it was weird to see it and the dipper at such a strange angle!

We do ride on snowmachine trails, but the dog teams make the best ones. The dog feet running in the middle make a firmer track in the cold dry snow than a snowmobile does.

Spring? Ha. That doesn't come till after Memorial Day around here.

Ken

One life, One boss
    also know as , my initials AK, easy to remember...

Baked Alaskan

like one of the other posts said

It just gives people an idea of where you're from, and my name's Chris, like Ken, there's tons of Chris' on the board.

Caveman

because Alaska kicks ass

Its all about Pride amigos,,
    You dont see many people like CA John, or NY Bill now do you?!!

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    It just gives people an idea of where you're from, and my name's Chris, like Ken, there's tons of Chris' on the board.
    Yeah,.. I actually started posting as AKchris (no space) on the old singlespeed board about a year ago,.. until I noticed AK ken & AK Chris's posts over on passion.. I think I accidentally answered a post intended for you, AK Chris,.. then, when I figured it out, I had a little identity crisis,..
    When I first signed up I did a search on AKchris & didn't find anything, so I figured I wouldn't be biting anyones username. I didn't think to do a search on AK Chris (w/space).
    So I felt like I should change my username, to avoid further confusion.
    I switched my name to DoubleTreeMutt untill I got jilted from the SS board for running a Duece Speed.. Haha.
    Last edited by SnowMonkey; 02-17-2004 at 02:28 PM.

Dec 2003

... and if we just ...

ROFL SnowMonkey

That was my email page you answered. I wondered what was up when you talked about riding a redline singlespeed but were posting pictures of that shiny new 5 spot. I never noticed the space or lack there of.

Baked Alaskan

now that's funny

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan
    ROFL SnowMonkey

That was my email page you answered. I wondered what was up when you talked about riding a redline singlespeed but were posting pictures of that shiny new 5 spot. I never noticed the space or lack there of.
    Talk about confusion, I never saw anyone posting with AK and Chris, space or not. Had I seen that I would have went with "Chris in AK" or something like that.

Jan 2004

Smile I got a name

I'm from Arizona, but my name ain't Clydesdale and I ain't no weight weenie.
    Keep those AK pictures coming, very nice guys!
    Steve

Members who have read this thread: 0