What a ride!!!- Mtbr.com

Thread: What a ride!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

What a ride!!!

Well I'm finally home from a great weekend riding to Seward. Youi couldn't have asked for a better day than Saturday. High's in the mid 70's and hardly a cloud in the sky. I felt good that morning despite only 4 hours of sleep because the crazy lady in the condo across from me was out and about around midnite saying something was going on in her house. I had to deal with her and the cops for about 2 hours. The ride went well thru Bird Point. I was a little crampy but some fruit, water, and a gu helped with that. After bird we took the bike trail into Gird before hitting the highway again. My father in law lost me on the bike trail. Still need to work on the up hills. We met up again about a mile and a half out of Gird. I led the way as he drafted behind me. He got tired of me going too slow and decided to pass and take off. Hell I thought doing 18mph was pretty good...apparently not. We made it in to the base of Turnagain Pass together. I was feeling pretty tight so I popped some magic pills my father-in-law had and that seemed to help. From there it was about a 6-7 mile slog up the pass. I was looking forward to the cookies they promised when we reached the top but none were to be had. I was a little disappointed. We took off back down and made a little more time up but then the hills came. We hit one more check point and it was up, up , up. I admit I stopped three times to stretch the legs as they were crampy but I made it into Summit Lake on time and was greeted with a free beer by some guys that told me to come over because I looked like sh!t. Those crazy roadies I tell ya. Had dinner and went to bed. Today was a different story. We left at 8am. It rained....alot. Was slow going lots of hills with tight spaces to ride with cars. I made it through moose pass and then in the final big downhill of the day I flatted twice within 5 minutes. I missed a super tiny piece of glass in my tire the first time causing the second flat. Changed out two tubes side of the road in the rain with numb hands. Good times. Thank fully the sag wagons drove by as I flatted and allowed me to use their floor pump. What a time saver that was. Finally got into Seward around 1:30 soaked and dirty. My father-in-law had been there for about 45 minutes already and had already changed. I walked into the sealife center, changed my clothes, and the went to lunch for a good meal of fish and chips at one of the local restaurants. That's pretty much it. Some friends gave us a ride back in their motorhome so we didn't have to ride the grayline busses. All in all a good weekend of riding, food, beverages, and people.

Mike

Jul 2006
    Congrats Mike, sounds like it was a good time had by all.

Members who have read this thread: 0