What boots to use with platform pedals?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

What boots to use with platform pedals?

Looking at something like the Sorel Cold Mountain to use with platform pedals for commuting. No colder than 15 deg. F but my feet are sensitive to cold. Suggestions?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I've just recently purchased and used the Columbia XTM Titanium Bugaboot. They are supposed to be rated to minus 65, but that's silly. I've used them in 15'ish degrees and with plain ole white athletic socks, and my feet were fine.

I like these boots because they are tall, and reasonable light, and fairly small in profile.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have a pair of Keen boots that are reasonably light and quite warm. North Face makes some shoes, SnowWalkers, with 200grams of insulation that get great reviews and would be good for many conditions but not deep snow. At +15F the Keen boots are plenty warm. I was out with them the other day at -25F for a short ride with no problem at all. Almost any Winter boot/shoe will work at +15F. At that temp it's just about finding a boot that is light enough. Stay away from heavy leather boots. The Keen boots aren't the lightest I'm sure but locally most of the boots I found were heavier so they are at least reasonably light for their warmth. Be sure to get your Winter shoes just a tad on the large size; any constriction at all will dramatically reduce their warmth by reducing blood flow. Sorels are typically quite heavy due to their thick sole and heavy leather construction but I'm not familiar with that model. I have two pair of Sorels but never use them for biking.

Members who have read this thread: 0