Weird noise- Mtbr.com

Thread: Weird noise

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Weird noise

I was out riding tonight and I kept hearing this creaking/rattling noise from my rear tire. Well it sounded like it was coming from the rim but not 100% sure. I flipped the bike upside down and turned the cranks and listened and heard a creaking or rattling type sound from the rim. Now the rim isn't completely true...theres a little wobble so I don't know if that is causing this weird noise. Hopefully the bike doesn't explode on me on my way to Seward this weekend. Anybody have suggestions to wear I can take my bike to get it onced over before this weekend or would like to help me do a once over?? Last time I was at Bicycle Shop it was a three day wait and a five day wait out at paramount so I don't have much time to screw with it. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    Check the cone adj., check the true, check QR for tightness. Quick list.
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well I recognized true...hahaha but have no idea what the QR is and cone adj. Help a brotha out??

Mike

mtbr member
    QR is your rear quick release skewer - make sure it's clamped tight, as it can creak if loose. Since it is doing it with the bike flipped over, probably not - usually only from torque from pedaling. Cone adjustment would be your hub's adjusting nuts on both sides for the bearings. If you have a standard hub (Shimano, etc.), you'll need cone adjusting wrenches. Other manufacturer's wheels (Mavic, Chris King, etc.) will have other bearing preload adjustment methods, so you'll have to go by their instructions. If you just spin the wheel without pedaling, you'll know it's the wheel and not drivetrain. Could be the freehub (what your cassette slides onto) also - could be loose or worn. Also check your cassette lockring - maybe it's loose, and the cassette or ring is rattling. Good luck.
    Hey, I didn't see that rock there."

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Spoke nipple loose/off?

Make sure all your spoke nipples are on and tight. If they come off they can drop inside the rim if it is double walled and rattle around. Wiggle all your spokes and check out any really loose ones . . .

Caveman
    more than likely its something with the hub since sounds propogate along the spokes.
    What brand of Hub?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Bearbait,

They are Formula Alloy Disc hubs. It's a Novara Bonanza. The wheel isn't completely true. All the spokes and spoke nipples are tight. All the hardware is where it should be. I know it needs a good cleaning and I'm pretty sure REI didn't adjust anything for my warranty tune up cause it looked the same as I took it in. I just rechecked the rear end and the noise is definitely coming from the hub. Would the wheel being out of true allow the hub to make the rubbing/grinding noise??

Mike
    Last edited by AkMike; 07-17-2007 at 04:16 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0