Weekly South Central Trail Report May 5th- Mtbr.com
    ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

Weekly South Central Trail Report May 5th

I found these nice and handy last year and a good consolidated place to go for trail conditions.. so reply to the thread with updates/corrections and I will try to get a weekly post out with an update.

Anchorage Area

Arctic Valley: ?
    Bicentenial Park: Closed/Highly Encouraged not to be riding.
    Biouvac / Tank Trail:
    Eklutna: Dry until about a half mile past the Bold Airstrip.
    Girdwood Trails: Wet and Icey, lots of snow.
    Glen Alps: ?
    Kincaid: Closed to MTB until ~June 1st, Wet in places.
    Upper Huffman:?

Mat-Su
    Crevace Morraine (CMT): ?
    Kepler Bradley (KB) :
    Matanuska River Park: Dry
    Moose Crk RR Trail: Drying out...
    Talkeetna Chase:?
    Petersville Road: ?
    Sutton Trails: ?
    Anyplace else?

Kenai Peninsula
    Crecent Lake: ?Johnson Pass: It will be a while...
    Gull Rock: Wet
    Lost Lake : Lots of Snow & Ice (Dah!)
    Russian Lakes : ?
    Resurrection: ? (Didn't somebody Ride up a bit the Hope side?)
    Tern Lake: Snow is melted.. haven't checked out the trail.
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/chugach/cab...s/updates.html

Christopher

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    The Moose Cr. RR Trail is dry but in bad shape. The bluff has been sliding a lot since last years repairs and the beavers farther down have been busy again. One of the land slide gullies is a solid 10ft across and 6ft deep.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

petersville road

I was out petersville on tuesday. when you get above the forks roadhouse you start getting into patches of snow. I only went aout 4 miles past the forks so would guess that their is more snow in a littlie farther but it is at least a month ahead of normal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Mat-Valley, K-B State Park

Did a walk about in K-B and was impressed by the first mile but past the "T" overlooking Long Lake on out to the picnic table at the end of the Crev-Mo double track was a bit of a wet mess. The horses have stayed off it so far (good news), but I did run into several Anchorage MB early birds and the tread showed the abuse. Hopefully, if this great weather holds, in a week or so most of the mud will have firmed up.

The Crev-Mo parking lot is still blocked off with the trails there officially closed. I might try to get over that way tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Tour of Anchorage Trail on Campbell Tract...

was rideable with minimal guilt last week...the big hill by the radio site was pretty soft, but otherwise all the gravelled sections were very sturdy (as far as the Campbell Cr bridge). From that point north to Tudor where it hasn't been gravelled was very soft and rut-able, but one can access the gravel by going in or out of the DOT service road that runs south from Tudor at DOT's maintenance yard across from the Alaska Club, ride around the east end or the fenced yard to catch the trail behind the red gate on the south side, and continue south to p/u the Tour trail, either doing a quick portage over the wet sections, or just ridin' it, since the Muni trashed it two years ago when they ran 10 ton dump trucks over it.

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

Reconoitered down to the Cooper Landing area..

I headed down to check out the condition of some of the trails down on the Peninsula Saturday night.

Devils Creek (formerly Devils Pass); 1-5" snow the 1st mile to the bridge, but once you start the climb and stay on the south facing side it is ridable and clear with no snow or ice.. just soft in few spots. I was just checking it out so only when in about 2 miles maybe.

Crescent Lake: Trail head looked pretty dry and log book from this weekend says trail is in good shape but gets icey about the 'big bridge'. This was from a hikers prospective.

Resurrection / Cooper Landing: Looking pretty decent around trail head and log book implies people are going up for the first few miles on foot.

Russian Lakes: At the upper trail head there is maybe 2-3 FEET of snow on the trail still and the road is in really rough shape the last mile or two. The lower trail head I did not check out but the gate is now at least open to drive up the road to it.. but is not yet manned.
    I also spoke with some local residents saying they had been on the trail and said they have had had a lot of blow down in that area this year.

Christopher

Mr.Secret
    "reconoitered" I rode my bike on Sunday, does that mean the same thing ??
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

A fun word for everyone.. if I spelled it right..

Quote Originally Posted by R.T.R.
    "reconoitered" I rode my bike on Sunday, does that mean the same thing ??
    Nope.. without whipping out the dictionary definition.. "performed reconnaissance".
    A friend uses the word it way too much but it has sort of grown on me as a fun word to use.

Oh and I spelled it wrong.. it has two n's.

Christopher

Caveman
    Hey Guess what? its raining! trails are just getting more wet and muddy ha haa!!!
    no dirt riding for you!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Pray for an early winter !! riding was great then ! I'm waaayy ready too. Pugsly,another bike with snow cats and studs.LOL just kidding,about winter anyway.Just do what I've been doing,suck it up and ride the paved trails. After a long winter of riding I'm just glad to be riding without multiple layers.

Ologist
    Pavement rocks!! I think I am going to buy a road bike - anybody want to buy an Ellsworth?

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Do you guys all have RTR on your ignore list?
    ~1 hour drive and you could be riding sweet deertay.
    -Sage Francis

Mr.Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    Do you guys all have RTR on your ignore list?
    ~1 hour drive and you could be riding sweet deertay.
    Bones,I think they're too busy playing with their computers...or something
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

May 2007

Soldotna/Kenai trails

Trails down in this neck of the woods are sloppy at best. Some of the 4 wheeler trails have started to dry up and make for a pretty good ride....just be careful of the bears, they're out in full force and mighty hungry at this time of the year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Friday afternoon CMT update

I had to sneak away from work around 3 today to go test CMT. I've watch all week as the days have dawned beautiful, but by quitting time (5pm) the clouds have gathered, turned black, and then it rains for a couple hours.

Anyway - CMT, officially open (at least the parking lot is no longer blocked off).
    There is still a fair amount of standing water in many of the swails. VMBaH's Mooseberry Mesa singletrack is too wet to ride (although from the tire ruts many have tried).

The high point today was the singletrack/gametrail that I call Southeast Side. It only was a little damp is places, and rode very well overall. As one can expect, this trail needs a little spring clean-up - lots of sticks and a few snags.

The best part about today's time in the forest - no mosquitos! We all know t hat won't last.

It you can, come on out to VMBaH's gear swap tomorrow at KB. Hope to see you there.

Sourdough

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Excuse me for asking a silly guestion, Ive been busy and not able to check the forum as much as usual.How bout some clue and directions to where "sweet deertay" is, for the unintiated. Thanks in advance.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff1962
    Excuse me for asking a silly guestion, Ive been busy and not able to check the forum as much as usual.How bout some clue and directions to where "sweet deertay" is, for the unintiated. Thanks in advance.
    Kings River/Youngs Creek/Permanente Trails. Just past Sutton, mile 66 I think. It's not exactly singletrack but it gets the bike path in a head lock and them reverse flip kicks it in the face.
    -Sage Francis

Feb 2005

New question here. Denali Highway status?

Does anyone know if the Denali Hwy (Parks to Richardson) is open for bicycle traffic by now (May 23, 2007)?
    If no one knows, what is the best guess on snow conditions or lack thereof?

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails
    I was on it this weekend end-to-end. It is in pretty good shape but the gravel is still very very loose and littered with lots of large rocks. No major dips or anything.

I think the offshoot road near the Susitna bridge is still washed out after about a mile and a half.. but no washout or anything on the main road.

The Cantwell side is pretty well packed and oiled though for the first few miles. The Paxson side still has snow on the sides of the road past McClaren summit to Paxson. The ice is just strarting to melt on Tangle Lakes.

Christopher

Members who have read this thread: 0