Weekend Warm Temps = Stay off Singletrack?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Weekend Warm Temps = Stay off Singletrack?

Weather reports are differing, but if it gets up to 40 degrees like some reports say, should we stay off the singletrack? If its that warm will the trails be unrideable anyway and this won't be a problem? I'd hate to hurt the hillside trails that are well 'groomed'.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I am going to stay off of them till it cools off again.

Need a break from training anyways.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Right now, they are just getting harder. It will take a fairly significant amount of "warm" to start to soften the trails up due to how cold it has been. There really isn't a good way to predict at what point they will soften up and we will want to avoid them. It will just have to be a judgement call. Some trails may soften up much easier than others, so while some may stay rock hard, others we might want to avoid. I wouldn't expect this warm spell to really have any negative impacts on the trails, but if it gets warmer than expected or lasts longer, it might be an issue. A little moisture (rain) will actually be good since the snow we have right now is so dry.

The best thing will be to report on here what you find when you are out, that way, others will know where is good and where they might want to avoid.

Bikes are good

Riding/skiing okay

I think if the trails do get soft, riding and skiing them is okay. The walkers are what really makes them a mess when they firm up again.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

Jesus is coming Look busy
    May 2009

Thermal mass

Quote Originally Posted by wrcRS View Post
    I am going to stay off of them till it cools off again.

Need a break from training anyways.
    I rode the "trails" this morn on my way work. Bullet proof..... BB, bluedot, were high speed. It's not ****ed up yet.... Relax......

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Trails are in fine shape,nice and firm in the morning, still decent in the eve.

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by akclimber49 View Post
    Trails are in fine shape,nice and firm in the morning, still decent in the eve.
    Agreed!... Just got home, riding through Bluedot and the Boggie. it's all good. Hopefully if it stays clear. The A.M. should be ripping! Before the forecasted R word....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'd argue it's a different ball of wax than riding soft trails in the spring. Ruts or damage that you might do this weekend will be erased as soon as it snows again. It's not like putting in a Big Fat Larry rut in the mud that won't go away all summer long.

If you're inspired to ride go for it with a clean conscience my friend.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike wRider View Post
    I'd argue it's a different ball of wax than riding soft trails in the spring. Ruts or damage that you might do this weekend will be erased as soon as it snows again. It's not like putting in a Big Fat Larry rut in the mud that won't go away all summer long.

If you're inspired to ride go for it with a clean conscience my friend.
    You are making a big assumption that it will snow right away after it gets cold. Not always true. That said it should be hard in the morning as it was freezing up again at 5:00 and the trails out in Mirkwood were not soft yet anyway.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    As of 10:00 tonight (Friday night), all trails I saw were solid and no signs of softening unless you mistake a right turn with a left and end up setting your own track.... STA trails, Rover's, and Blue Dot were bomber.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I rode this morning and as stated above, trails are bomber! Blue Dot, Rovers, Brown Bear, Speedway, Baseball Boogie were all great! Get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Apparently (not me) riding multiuse trail is great right now. 10 am before the r word

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    You are making a big assumption that it will snow right away after it gets cold. Not always true. That said it should be hard in the morning as it was freezing up again at 5:00 and the trails out in Mirkwood were not soft yet anyway.
    I made no assumption about it snowing right away. I simply said as soon as it snows again.
    Took my own advice and went for a midnight ride. Not even on fat tires either (the horror).
    Trails were awesome except where the horses and moose had left their mark. So it goes with multi use I guess.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I made no assumption about it snowing right away. I simply said as soon as it snows again.
    Took my own advice and went for a midnight ride. Not even on fat tires either (the horror).
    Trails were awesome except where the horses and moose had left their mark. So it goes with multi use I guess.
    I went late yesterday too. It was great. Might not be so good tonight though.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    wrcRS's forecast/prediction did come to pass. 40f and rain on the east side.

mtbr member
    It's 45* and raining in the Valley. Heard it wasn't much better in atown...

May 2009
    Ok! it's officially phucked!.... I went from 3ft of snow in my yard to grass!...To wearing bermuda shorts and having cocktails in the lovely 60-105mph breeze.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    40f to 48f on the eastside. Winds primarily out of the west. Seems early for
    this sort of thing. But what can you expect from global warming.

Bikes are good

I think...

The trails might need to be left alone today. It would be fun riding in this wind though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Well, then put the trainer on the front porch and have at it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Since it is not the best riding conditions out, maybe a good time to do a little maintenance! Or order the stuff to fit my crosscheck with an Alfine 8

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Anyone been out to assess the damage yet?

May 2009

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC AK View Post
    Not yet. I drove this morning. Wanting to see what town looked like. Studs now for sure. After work I'll go walk around the tour/boggy area to see. I'm sure there is plenty of stuff down. I had 2 large spruce trees down in my yard yest......

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I was out yesterday afternoon to check out the trails (too soft so we went other places to run). Lots of small stuff down across the trails between the Tour and Ballfield area from the little area we saw. A few larger trees. Definitely going to take some chainsaw and handwork time to get things cleared up. I'm sure there is a good amount on the upper STA trails but didn't venture up there at all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Just rode Tour Trail and Blue Dot on my commute home, one large tree down across Blue Dot, but other than that nothing major. 29er studs did the trick for me. Tour Trail was fast and smooth and everything was nice and firm. Enjoy.

May 2009
    Just rode Tour Trail and Blue Dot on my commute home, one large tree down across Blue Dot, but other than that nothing major. 29er studs did the trick for me. Tour Trail was fast and smooth and everything was nice and firm. Enjoy.
    Thanks!... Just got my 29er wheels studded up for s skinny ZERO......... Headed that way today.........

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I went out playing with my fatbike lastnight and had a blast. THe snowplow berms along road that were 4' high last week have re-frozen to a solid 3' high. Riding up/down and along the berms was very similar feeling to riding slickrock at Moab, hard, smooth undulating surface with phenominal traction.

May 2009
    Brutal!!!....... You must have been riding a fullsuspension 29er? I rode home that way yest. The single track was marginal at best. The lower portion of Tour of Anch trail below the Speedway cut off was CRAZY!.. I don't remember the trail ever being that bad after a big storm. Almost unridable....... Full tilt bike for sure..... Studs won't matter. Hopefully the forcast for tonight comes true. Alot more snow is needed to fill in the Ginormous holes that the walkers post holled in on Sunday morning for their stroll...... The bike paths right now are a way better option. At least thru the Elmore/hillside corridors.........

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Blue dot is in decent shape, icy though. Boogie and Speedway are brutal...

May 2009
    Blue dot is in decent shape, icy though. Boogie and Speedway are brutal...
    I agree, Blue dot was the best of those trails. All the multipurpose and speedway and ballfields trails have alot of foot traffic. They were rough to say the least....... Anyone check out Mirkwood or the upperhillside/prospect areas?.........

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Tour trail from Tudor to the first cutoff wasn't too bad. The overflow at the first creek caught me by suprise. Have a nice golf ball size bruise on my elbow from it. Other than that I see some white stuff flying outside my office window!

Bikes are good

Mirkwood?

Maybe I've ridden it and didn't know the name. Where is that? Snow is a nice change. Hopefully it is significant the next couple of days.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Rode several of the Kincade loops this evening. A majority of it is pretty good considering and relatively smooth. There are a few walker posthole sections (one in particular was quite brutal) and some areas with a lot of moose tracks. Only 2 trees down that were not handsaw -able.