We found some weird brown stuff on the ground in Kodiak- Mtbr.com
    No, that's not phonetic

Smile We found some weird brown stuff on the ground in Kodiak

I wikipedia'd it, and it appears to be "dirt." It was under the snow all along. Who'da thunk.

One of our trails is melted out enough to ride. There are a few icy spots to negotiate, but overall this one trail is in super shape.

Just a few pics from today including a small bridge I built earlier this morning (that's sawdust, not snow ):

A funky old tree:

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    ugghhh!! We just got dumped on in Anchorage... sigh. nothing like the sound of snow plows to make april exciting.

I am envious. post more pics please.

anyone else smell that?
    that tree is friggin' cool.

we've had a few tornados my way...but really none of that white stuff you guys like so much...

Dec 2006
    simple question I don't see disc brakes or any brakes for that matter where you using a fixxy?
    looks like a sweet ride indeed please post more of this dirt

No, that's not phonetic
    It's got discs front and back. They just didn't show up well.

I'll try to get more pics soon. I didn't take many yesterday. It's another beyooteefull day on the Rock.

No, that's not phonetic
    Over a week of blazing blue skies now. Sweet. It's been sort of chilly, but otherwise just stunning.

Today:

mtbr member

stunning

just stunning.... did you develop this trail, bridge? that awesome tree in the earlier photo looks like it should have some gnomes running around it..

Thanks for the post
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

mtbr member
    TSCheezy, I want your GF buddy...not only is she hot but she rides MTB like a champ...boy does she ride....J/K.

Very nice pics BTW...know what you mean about the strange brown stuff, must be some form of global contagion because I have just found some on the local BTrails...should aid in traction better than the dreaded white stuff.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesotony
    .... did you develop this trail, bridge?
    The local deer population established most of the trails, I just sort of improved them with my limb loppers, hand saw, chain saw, hammer, and nails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    TSCheezy, I want your GF buddy...not only is she hot but she rides MTB like a champ
    This is Alaska, you're going to start having her take some pictures of you or this could get out of hand

No, that's not phonetic
    Today we changed gears (figuratively) and went snauxbiking instead. We went out this morning and took advantage of the spring conditions and cruised up one of the river beds (the American River, which takes to you Saltery Cove) along the road system. The river is ephemeral in the winter and long stretches of it are dry and covered in snow.

On the way up the valley along a 4-wheeler trail:

The lower stretches of the river are wide and braided, and there were some vehicle tracks:

We had a few thaws this winter when the river apparently had some water flowing in it and washed the snow away from the main channel. We rode in the gravel sometimes when the snow got soft from the sun:

There is a warm front moving in, and the light on the mountains was pretty cool:

Cruising back out to the coast:

The BarnySnauxGo:

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by jgsatl
    that tree is friggin' cool.

we've had a few tornados my way...but really none of that white stuff you guys like so much...

Great tree!
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Man, there's a lot of clearance on that 5-Spot!

No, that's not phonetic
    I put a 6-Pack rear triangle on for Snauxbike conversions.

Sultan:

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Ah, I see...is the Fox RP23 lasting during the winter?

I ask because I blew a seal on one (my Yeti 575) the first winter I had it. I'm not sure if that was a freak accident or what but it was fixed under warranty. I've been scared of riding it in the winter ever since.

No, that's not phonetic
    Fox air shocks used to suffer from stuck-down syndrome pretty often. That seems to be less of a problem these days. I had a few stuck-down episodes, but keeping a little fresh fork oil in the air sleeve pretty much obviates the issue. We don't have really cold temps here in Kodiak anyway. I don't worry about it much, I just keep the seals happily lubed.

No, that's not phonetic
    It's shorts weather in Kodiak today. I just thought you guys would want to know.

Dec 2006
    It's birthday suit weather here in Anchorage

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    I'm in T-shirt, shorts and Birkenstocks. Of course, I'm inside working on homework when I should be out enjoying this...only a couple more weeks of this class and I'll be done!

anyone else smell that?
    it was over 80 degrees here last week. last night we had sleet and snow flurries. that's *almost* enough to shut the city down. heh.

No, that's not phonetic

We found some weird green stuff on the ground in Kodiak!

MOSS, BABY! Today Barny, Felix, and I rode a trail we don't do that often because we need to drive *gasp* about 10 miles to the trailhead. Yes, we almost always pedal from the house because most of our singletrack is about 100 yards from the front door. We should go out there more often though because the trail takes you through some pretty spectacular mossy spruce forest, and today was a brilliantly sunny, toasty day. I rode in shorts and short sleeves!!!!!!!!!!! The air was warm despite some lingering snow and ice in the shade. The trail is very narrow and windy with some steeps thrown in for fun, though there is little real elevation change overall (sea level, baby!). We normally ride it as a loop and come back along the coast, but we were short on time and did it as an out and back. I need to head back into this area and build some bridges. The creek crossings are kinda abrupt and tough.

Warning: big photo dump ahead...

This is pretty much what a lot of the trail is like...

Ice and some steep sections force us into CX mode a few times:

Passing an old beaver pond. The ice is melting away.

The Sultan takes a breather at the turnaround point- an old log cabin that is rotting away:

Slalom through the green stuff:

Bridge needed:

Thank dOG for studded tires... the trail was a perfect ribbon of ice at times:

Good times.
    Last edited by tscheezy; 04-24-2008 at 01:33 PM.

anyone else smell that?
    awesome pics as usual....

that green fluffy stuff looks like a nice cushioned placed to crash into....

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I put a 6-Pack rear triangle on for Snauxbike conversions.

Sultan:

I've been waiting to see this. Nice work Tscheez.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member
    OMG...that is some very beautiful landscape there, and I envy you very much with that kind country scape around your doorstep, so to speak. Awsome pics and from your description, sounds like really perfect riding weather out there with the friends. They look like really nice peeps too and your GF is very lean...NICE! Seriously though, amazing pics...I could imagine as though I was there, so thanks.

Here in J-Land, this time of year is perfect for riding but unfortunately, this is also when all the bloody spiders come out to play and where Sim (me) goes OVER the handle bars from EXTEME fright at having ridden directly through a bloody spiders web...crash bang smash...into the rocks and tree stumps, oh how that feels good.

Also...the snow bikes you have converted is a great idea and one that I am thinking of doing. But, just not to a Turner...(unless I have to buy a 2nd hand bike) I have a spare bike frame such as an old (in new condition) Giant VT. As yet, I am not too sure about the width of the rear end (I am at work now so I have no idea and I have not yet done a search) and the tyres that are to be placed in there, but I dare say NOT enough though. So, I may need to re-think that and just sell it and get a 2nd hand bike for just this purpose...in that case advice on most suitable bike besides a Turner...? Also any advice on VT would be welcomed, ed: wheels, tyres, hubs, shock etc etc. Just a small amount is cool. Thanks

Keep up the great journey's and stories too...

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    I'm definitely coming to Kodiak this summer...probably on the touring bike, but I should really bring the mtb from the looks of it. We'll see...

No, that's not phonetic
    What a difference a few inches of rainfall can make.

Members who have read this thread: 0