Wanted- Mtbr.com

Thread: Wanted

Bikes are good

Wanted

Okay, two questions. So riding was awesome with studs until all this snow messed it up (turnagain was off the hook yesterday, and today, and will be tomorrow) but riding on studs isn't going to happen for a while. I've always wondered if it was worth buying a pugsly type bike. The question, are trails, (brown bear, moose meadow, tank trail side trails, dome trail, all the trails entirely rideable with the 2000 dollar ride? My 2nd question is do any of you know anyone, or do you, want to sell your old one? Or, let me borrow yours (with collateral of course) to see if it's worth the 2000 bucks. I like spending money on bikes. Is a fat tire bike really capable on new snow (like what's out there now.)

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have puglsey and I love it. If you are truly interested in serious winter riding they are a must.I tried doing it last year with just my studded tires.They are great in the right conditions but when there is more snow on the trails they don't cut it.What it boils down to is that if you are going to ride year round in Alaska there is simply no way you can do it with just one bike the conditions simply won't allow it.

I'm from Utah

Pugs doesn't have to cost $2000

I put mine together for about $1,200, even after buying a brand new frame and fork, by watching eBay and buying a used wheelset and parts, discounted BB and headset, and using some old parts I had lying around, etc. Something to think about if you're willing to troll the Internet and spend a little time on the project.

Where I live (Juneau), studded tires and snowshoes are still the optimal winter accessories. But it is fun to have one of these novelty bikes.

Beware of Doggerel

I have a pugs for sale

Contact me via e-mail. at

donkeyhotel--at--gmail--dot--com

I have a medium pugs that's going up for sale. I just bought a wildfire. The wildfire is being built up and the pugs is going up for sale. The price varies depending on what parts you want with the pugs, but I'm looking to sell the frame/wheels/tires/BB/cranks/fork and headset as a unit. So you can build it up with the parts of your choice or take it as a complete bike.

Shoot me an e-mail and we'll set up a test ride and talk.

Oh- yeah and whether I sell it as a complete bike or just the rolling chassis the price will be substantially less than 2k.

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    donkeyhotel
    Wow Adam.............................

Jul 2007

Pugley to Wildfire

So Adam, why did you decide to abandon the Pugs and move to a Wildfire? Just curious is all. What does the Wilfire have that attracted you to change?

Beware of Doggerel
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowed Man
    So Adam, why did you decide to abandon the Pugs and move to a Wildfire? Just curious is all. What does the Wilfire have that attracted you to change?

Nothing in particular. The only legitimate reason was that I wanted some custom geometry, but that's really nothing I needed.

There are a lot of little reasons, but really what it all boils down to is plain old bike lust. I like Mark, Mike DeSalvo built a sweet ride for my wife and I like the idea of going with a local company. Its sort of like why some Moto folks choose to ride a Harley instead of an import. There isn't a real hard and fast practical reason, its just the bike that makes me feel good. In the end I don't ride this bike for "practical reasons" anyway, its a snowbike for racing and playing. Right now I am lucky enough to be in a place where I can afford a bike like the wildfire and riding a made in the USA product from a local company just makes me happier. Simple as that.

In hard and fast practical terms the Wildfire is lighter, prettier and a better fit than the Surly. I'm sure for a lot of folks that's a good reason to buy one, but I was never really bothered by the weight or looks of the Surly. The fit was a minor issue.

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50
    I've always wondered if it was worth buying a pugsly type bike.
    I got a Pugsley last March because I was tired of not riding for several days after big snows, and struggling to keep up with fat-bike-equipped friends on winter singletrack. The bike has radically improved my enjoyment of winter riding, and expanded the number of days I can get out there.

As a commuter, I love having both a studded bike and a Pugsley; for the first time ever, my commuting days are more limited by time than the weather. I've plowed through the new snow and ridden to work each of the past three days. Without a fat bike, I'd have been driving and wondering how long it would take for the paths and trails to once again become manageable on 2-inch tires.

With our long, snowy winters a Pugsley or similar bike is well worth having.

Wood chips are stupid

Fat is good

Fat bikes are pretty cool. Unless it is wet glare ice, a FB will perform either good or excellent in all conditions during the winter. Also,a great beach bike for the summer. For more on that, see the Freespirit web page. Buy a jersey while you're there

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Try it out...

If you want to try my 16" Pugs out, you're more than welcome. I'll echo the sentiments expressed by everyone else in this thread; it's a freakin' cool way to stay on your bike in the winter. Probably the most fun bike I have ever owned. If you want to check it out, email me at moflem "at" acsalaska.net.

Jul 2007

Guys guys guys

I have a Pugsley. I have looked at his bikes, but wanted to know what features it could bring to the table. I don't plan on running out and buying one. I love my Pugs. But all in all, being a bike junky is all that needs to be said. Ride with pride with whatever you have to do so with.

Long live the Pugley!!

Members who have read this thread: 0