Want Northshore-type trails?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Want Northshore-type trails?

Some industrious park users were busy last fall. Cutting trees and building a wooden banked turn. Building a dirt jump to launch off. They didn't get far before the snow fell, but now it's emerging from the snow and... people are complaining to the Parks & Rec department.

The trail user who made a complaint came to this week's meeting of the Far North Bicentennial Park user group. She brought some photos and her concerns that this has been posing a hazard to some park users, esp. since they dug holes that were then buried in snow.

I've been asked to contact the mountain biking community about this, so... I headed out to the site.

If you know who it is or if you are among those building the structures, please make it stop. Please disassemble and clean up the debris. Then find an area that may be suitable for building these kinds of features, make a plan, learn what it will take to build it. Contact Singletrack Advocates. Contact the Parks & Recreation Department. Get a permit and build some legal structures.

But don't step on the goodwill that has been built by others, such as the folks at STA, after they've worked so hard to get other user groups together so that we can have legal, sustainable, challenging singletrack right here in Anchorage.

Just as a suggestion, maybe some bikers could offer to disassemble and clean up the wood that's out there during National Trails Day on June 7.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ologist
    Is this off of the Tank Trails?

Apr 2008

Cool-blue Rhythm Pathetic attempt at Far north shore

I am a building contractor in soldotna & I build houses for a living . On the side I have been building ( features for what was the alyeska downhill courses) no longer in operation. If you want something built dont just take it upon yourself to piece togeather a pile of trash like the ones shown here, contact an organization or group and obtain permission first, then contact someone who actually knows how to build safe and fun features that will last and not fall apart like the piles shown. If anyone is interested in going down the proper path to have something like this done contact me and I would be glad to assist in the construction of any features your mind can come up with (as I have done in my own back yard) highbank corners ,ladder drops ,teeter totters,skinnys, rollers,table tops,gaps you get the picture. I was suposed to build a park at Alyeska this year starting May 23 but the latest news is that it got postponed for another year Which is an incredible drag meanwhile another year drags by without a place for downhillers and freeriders to (let it run) so instead of poaching trails take the proper paths to have theese features put in legally. any input? AK Gravity.

No, that's not phonetic
    AK G- post pics of your backyard.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Members who have read this thread: 0