Visiting Anchorage & Wanna Ride - Advice?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Visiting Anchorage & Wanna Ride - Advice?

Hey guys!

I'm visiting Anchorage for about a week starting on 5/22. I'm hoping to rent a decent soft-tail and do a day of moderate to technical riding somewhere that isn't too from from town. Just wanted to see if anyone has advice on what trails are looking good now and what would be a cool ride to brag about to my buddies back in NM. Ideally, 10-15 miles and 1-2k feet of climbing would be cool.

Also, if anyone has any rental/LBS recommendations, that'd be neat too (don't be afraid to inundate me with info ).

Thanks!
    Jeremy

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    You are almost on the too early end of things. The general "rule of thumb" is that the unimproved, soft surface trails are "closed" until June 1st. I say "closed" because I don't think there is a legal closure, but more of a recommendation to stay off in the spring. The concern is soft trails from the spring thaw can be damaged if ridden before they have had a chance to dry out and firm up. Ruts put in the trails now will last most/all of the summer.

Having said that, it isn't uncommon for some of the lower trails such as the lower area of Bicentennial Park and Kincaid Park (both right in/adjacent to Anchorage) to dry out and firm up a couple weeks prior to the June 1st date and could be fine to ride. Most likely, you won't find much with very much continuous climbing as any amount of climbing will quickly get in you into areas that, even now, still have snow or at best are very soft and should be left alone for a bit longer. Plenty of rolly stuff in the parks noted above, but nothing big.

Basically, if you do go out to ride the trails, be respectful. If you come across an area that is muddy or otherwise soft, try to avoid it. Walk around the bad part, turn around and try another route, etc...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Good advice. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Arctic Cycles rents fatbikes and will be able to provide you with the latest rideable areas.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'll check them out

Members who have read this thread: 0