Visiting Anchorage 8/21-8/25- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Visiting Anchorage 8/21-8/25

Hi,

Never been to Alaska before, but I'll be in Anchorage this weekend (Thurs-Sun). I'll probably have a chance to ride on Friday and maybe, possibly Saturday or Sunday.

Is there anywhere to rent a bike (I typically ride 29er singlespeeds, but I'm not picky! ) and a somewhat local trail that would be good for an experienced rider new to the area?

Thanks!

Diaskeuast
    I know of two guys who just rented bikes here and they were happy at the end of their trip.

Unless you're able to get out of Anchorage, you'll be riding the Hillside trail system. Any local shop can give you directions and/or sell you a copy of Mountain Bike Anchorage.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Well, that seems convenient enough. It looks like the 'rental base' is across the street from the hotel I'll be staying at.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have a rental car and could basically get anywhere (within reason). Ideally where would be the best place to go?

I'm used to riding extremely rocky/technical trails, so just about anything goes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Im going to be in anchorage this weekend as well. any more info would be rad.

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ride the Sog Bot 100

Check it out at akspokes.com in the AEA forum

Ologist
    In Anchorage, Powerline Pass (not technical but scenic and can be strenuous depending on which way), Rabbit Lakes (not technically open to bikes but not closed either), and Flat top Flyer (downhill from Powerline to Hilltop). In town singletrack includes Brown Bear, Llama, and the new STA trail. If you go to Hilltop area stay off the creek and make some noise on the trail (there has been some "bear issues" down there this year).

South of town Lost Lake/Primrose is well worth the drive to Seward (my favorite alpine ride). Johnson Pass and Resurrection Pass make for longer days on the Kenai. As Rio pointed out there is a true endurance event on Resurrection this weekend. Gull Rock, Crescent Lake, and Devils Pass only take a few hours.

North of town Eklutna Lake has 16 miles of lakeside, sub-alpine fireroad ending at a glacier. Crevasse moraine in Palmer has 3-4 mile of mtb specific plus many miles of xc ski trails.

Enjoy your ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0