Visiting Alaska, September 1-9, 2007- Mtbr.com

Mar 2007

Visiting Alaska, September 1-9, 2007

Hi Fellow Bike Enthusiasts,

I am visiting Alaska from Hungary for a vacation this coming September. I am bringing over my mountain bike to make it an MTB holiday. I have not made any specific plans yet regarding places to visit, but I intend to have fun, so I am flexible. The basic idea is that I rent a car in Anchorage, drive up to Denali and maybe further beyond. On the way there and back I would stop to go for day rides and spend the nights camping some place.

If you feel like suggesting any must-do trails or even better: joining me for a ride, I would be really happy to hear from you.

Csaba-
    PS: Just to give you an idea of who I am: 33 year-old male, father of a 3-month old baby. I teach economics at college and I ride a Specialized S-Works Epic. I usually do long XC-type rides, ocassionally spiced up with some more challenging trail sections.

No, that's not phonetic
    Most of the good rides I know of are on the central Kenai Peninsula, south of Anchorage. This website has trail reviews. Check them out. Resurrection Trail is just beautiful and not to be missed. I ate lunch at the top of the pass and was serenaded by a pack of wolves. Nice.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Mar 2007
    Thanks, one red pin goes right on my map.

Cs-

No, that's not phonetic
    More suggestions:

Ride Lost Lake just north of the city of Seward on the Kenai Peninsula. Start at the lower trailhead (the south end of the trial closer to Seward) and ride up the highway towards Anchorage until you get to Kenai Lake and then fork left to the Primrose trailhead. Ride up the Primrose trail to Lost Lake and then enjoy the FUN downhill back to the car. Great ride! Do it on a sunny day for mind-blowing views.

Go to the Russian Lakes trailhead along the Kenai River near Cooper Landing on the Kenai Peninsula on the Sterling Highway. Ride the Sterling Highway east a few miles through Cooper Landing to the Snug Harbor road, and go right on that along Kenai Lake. Follow the road all the way up the climb to the Russian Lakes Trail, and ride that all the way down and back to where you parked. This is a GREAT ride, but sort of remote and less traveled. Bring a good map.

Add in riding Resurrection Pass from Cooper Landing north to the Resurrection Pass and back down, and riding the same trail from the other end at Hope southward to Resurrection Pass and back down again. The trail is totally different on either end and fun both up and down on both ends.

Have a great time. Early September should be perfect.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Mar 2007
    It seems that I will have to extend my stay there...I knew those 8 days would be too short for the experience...

Thanks again for the suggestions,
    Cs-

mtbr member
    Tscheezy those posts are useless without photos???!!!!
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    A longer visit is a great idea. 2 weeks at least if for no other reason than the weather. It's so easy to hit bad weather that time of year. In the interior August-Sept. are our wettest months and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same south of the Alaska Range. The Keni does have great trails but if it's raining, well you get the idea. We do have drier-warmer summers up here so you might want to come north if the weather is bad down south when you come. Also be aware that hunting season runs into Sept. While we don't have a bunch of great trails there are some good rides within a hundred miles of Fairbanks. Drop me an e-mail or call (907) 374-8068 if you think you'll come up to Fairbanks. I could give you trail ideas and maybe a home cooked meal and a place to crash for a day or two. Sept. is a beautiful time of year to visit, fall colors should be in full bloom. good luck, tony

Mar 2007
    WinterBiker,

Thanks for your post. I know I should spend at least 2 weeks there...(actually anywhere one goes on holiday). It is such a heart-break for me, but 'unfortunately', I used my airline award miles to get this "free" flight to Alaska and restrictions applied to dates. The next flight back I could have got was toward the end of September... So it's either these 9 days there, or close to 3 weeks...which is probably way too much for me in terms of budget...
    Actually I am hoping to be able to change my flight back "in person" once I arrive there.

As for Fairbanks, I am almost sure I would drive up as far as Fairbanks. If I do, I will call you. It would be great to meet. Thanks a lot, Csaba-

Feb 2007
    if you could get to alaska a day earlier you could check out the soggy bottom 100 mile race. it's on the resurrection pass trail that has already been mentioned and is on september 1st.

Mar 2007
    I kinda looked at race calendars before making travel arrangements..but they were more like running events...It really did not occur to me that I should look at bike races as well.

It is too late now. I purchased my ticket months ago.

Cs-

Members who have read this thread: 0