Which Video Camera?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Which Video Camera?

HELLO from the end of the road. I want to get wife Kathy a helmet cam and don't know enough about them to decide, so I'm turning to you folks to help me out.

I've narrowed it down to GoPro, Contour and Drift, which I think is pretty much what we have to choose from these days. I also have a line on Epic but again know nothing about them. I've looked at reviews on Amazon and they're all over the place, so hopefully some cycling folks will have more relevant input.

Kathy will be cycling in all conditions, skiing in winter, and is into stand up paddle boarding. With these in mind which camera do you folks think is the best bet? I'm sort of on a budget but don't want to go too cheap. $300 max.

Thanks for your help,

Pat

No, that's not phonetic
    I started with the contour, but then switched to gopros since I was not happy with the video quality from the contour. The focus was soft and the colors muted. Gopros are great cameras, and the new HD should be another step forward. I also prefer the mounting system gopro has, and they come in waterproof housings. With most other cameras you need to buy an separate housing.. I have not used a drift, but the vid quality seems very good. I'd still just get the new gopro. It is $300.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    I briefly had a GoPro, unfortunately it popped off a mount in Turnagain Arm, because I forgot to put the little tab lock in the slide in mount. But while I had it I was pretty impressed with the video quality, and the waterproof case seemed to work well.

Hopefully Santa's bringing a new one!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I haven't used any of those except for the gopro. I'm pretty happy with mine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have a Contour HD. Video quality is great, but you have to play with the settings depending on what kind of conditions you are in. They are also a lot lower profile than the GoPro's. I do see a lot of GoPro's out there though, so they must be a pretty good product. I don't have any experience with them though myself.

From what I have seen, the GoPro's are essentially sticking a fairly good sized digital camera sticking up from the top of the mount location, so you have something sticking up 3-4 inches up from your helmet/bars/etc... The Contour can be laid flat (I just strap it directly to the top of my helmet and rotate the lens to be level) so it is only projecting out about an inch.

They are probably both great options and you will probably be happy with whatever you choose.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Drift HD170

So I'm looking at the Drift helmet cam because it has a play-back screen. Is this as big a deal as I'm making it? Thanks for your help

Drift HD170 Stealth Action Camera inc charger combo | Launch Helmet Cams

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by patirwin View Post
    So I'm looking at the Drift helmet cam because it has a play-back screen. Is this as big a deal as I'm making it? Thanks for your help

Drift HD170 Stealth Action Camera inc charger combo | Launch Helmet Cams
    The option to view what you are videoing right there would be a good benefit just to figure out if you have the angle correct. With mine, I have to guess and hope, although it does have a laser to check the angle if you want. I have a couple videos that have me constantly looking at the top edge of the screen because I was aimed too low the entier ride.

No, that's not phonetic
    I have the LCD backpack for my gopro. I used it a little when I first got it, but very little since then. The cameras have such absurdly wide fields of view, it's harder to miss the shot than make the shot.
    For initial aiming a screen can be nice, but for on-trail review I can't see bothering. I agree that the form factor of the contour and drift are superior to the gopro, which looks like a small toaster strapped to your head. If I were starting from scratch I would consider the drift as it seems to produce some solid video. The little remote also seems handy. The remote video feed that some contours have and gopro will add this winter seems more useful to me than a small screen on the unit itself, but that determination will have to be made through actual use.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks

Thank you guys for your feedback, I'm not sure what we ever did before this forum.

We don't have a Smart Phone so viewing the video that way isn't an option, so at this point I'm leaning toward the Drift w/ it's screen. I'll let you know how it goes...

Thanks again and happy holidays!

Pat

No, that's not phonetic
    We expect some Cannes-winning work coming out of Homer now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Oh yea

you can count on it. I should have it figured out by the time our Big Fat Bike Winter Festival rolls around Feb 25th. Ya'll should come on down to Homer, or over for you Kodiak folks, ride some beach, explore some snow trails, enjoy great music, and shoot some great video with your helmet cam. Maybe we can put together a fun movie night with all our vids.

I'll post any vids I'm not ashamed to share with everyone.

Happy Holidays!

Pat

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I recommend the GoPro with the LCD back. The Contour is good, but you don't have the same amount of mounting options as with the GoPro, (i.e. chest mount).

No, that's not phonetic
    Leel did a brief but effective comparison of the Hero, Hero 2, and Contour Plus in this thread http://forums.mtbr.com/videos-helmet...st-756435.html

The Hero 2 seems the best of the bunch from my viewing. No details on the Drift yet, though I thought he had one at one point.

mtbr member
    Just got my GoPro Hero 2 this Christmas. Love it! Now if i can just find time to actually edit some footage!