VaMoose 20 in Willow Jan. 29- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

VaMoose 20 in Willow Jan. 29

Anybody know anything about this race/ride? Just ran across it in the ADN "Outdoors Hotline." There is not much info there. Anyone else participating?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm also curious. My wife learned about this race and mentioned it to me, but I don't know enough to decide whether it is at my level or not. I'm riding a 29er with studs (not a fat bike) and I'm still a pretty poor rider in the snow. I'd like to go play, but I don't want to be miserable after realizing that it is just over my head.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    E Mail these guys they should be able to give you more information.

mailto:[email protected]
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    I am going to ride, and use the opportunity to hopefully learn some of the trails in the area. I don't know the course, but if it sticks to the West side of the highway, the whole area is pretty flat (and swampy in the summer).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have not seen an anouncement for 2012 but last year vamoos was more of an beginner/introductory ride than a competitive race. It is held in conjunction with the willow winter carnival so there are a bunch of other activities available if you do go up, Last years WWC schedule up at;
    WACO : Carnival Schedule browse
    I dont find the 2012 schedule posted yet but probably very similar lineup of events, lots of fun to be had. Just avoid enduring the evening "talent" show!.

Winter trail map for the west side trails is at:
    http://www.waco-ak.org/uploads/Trail...way_Trails.pdf

The trail grooming and snowmachine traffic keep the willow trails awesome for fatbiking and probably still rideable with a conventinoal skinny MTB. A lap of the willow Swamp loop would be a good introduction ride to the area.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    So far, only info was posted on their facebook page: Valley Mtnbikersnhikers

From: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...00001170625226
    Willow bike race is back!

Sunday, January 29th
    VaMoose20 Mountain Bike Race & Tour
    Willow Winter Carnival
    Fat Tire Bikes will be rolling around Willow
    Valley Mountain Bikers and Hikers are teaming up with Arctic Cycles and the Willow Winter Carnival to bring fat tire bikes out to the carnival for an afternoon of winter bike racing and touring. You can choose to speed along with other competitors, or take a more leisurely guided ride. The course will utilize the beautiful groomed trails west of Willow - approximately 20 miles, starting and finishing at the Willow Community Center.

Billy from Arctic Cycles will have his fleet of rental bikes there for the afternoon, so if you want to rent a bike give him a call soon - the rental bikes must be reserved in advance.

Spectators are welcome and encouraged - the Willow Winter Carnival offers lots of activities, so bring the kids, and make a weekend of it. There will be food, drinks, and a warm place to relax inside the community center.

Where & When: Willow Community Center, Sunday, January 29th. Check-in at 11:00 am. Race start at 12:00 Noon, Touring will start shortly after the race start.

Pre-Registration On-Line: $27.50 race division & $7.50 touring division.
    VaMoose20 Winter Mountain Bike Race | Willow, Alaska 99688 | Sunday, January 29, 2012 @ 12:00 PM
    Race division receives times, touring division does not.
    Same Day Registration: $30 race division & $10.00 touring.

Race Course: Start and Finish at the Willow Community Center in Willow. A series of connecting trails that are groomed by the Willow Trails Committee. The course crosses a variety of terrain around the lakes and through the beautiful forests west of Willow.
    Touring Course: Same as race course, but the "touring group" can opt for any distance. This is a guided ride and will start shortly after race start.

Fat tire bike rental: Arctic Cycles is offering a special rate of $50 for the carnival that includes a fat tire bike (delivery to Willow) poagies, and a guide. The bikes must be reserved in advance. For information about rental bikes please contact Erica at [email protected]. We encourage you to call as soon as possible because there are limited number of bikes and sizing is critical. They need your height & inseam.

Directions to Trailhead/Parking: Willow Community Center is a located west of the Parks Highway at Milepost 69.8. Parking may be limited due to the carnival activities but there should be plenty of parking at nearby facilities. You will be directed to other parking facilities if the community center lot is full.

What to bring or wear: Dress in layers. You tend to stay warm from the biking activity but feet tend to get cold, so warm boots are essential. Boots that are warm, lightweight and not too tight are recommended. Baclavas or neck gaiters are also suggested. Bring water, snacks and an extra layer. Toe warmers, hand warmers, and a headlamp are also a good idea to have with you. If you are renting a bike please bring a small day pack to carry your gear because the rental bikes do not have racks or bags.
    Contacts:
    Pat at [email protected] for more information about the ride and race.
    Erica at [email protected] for information about bike rental.
    Willow website www.wacao-ak.org to see all the other carnival activities and places to stay in Willow.
    Volunteers are needed for all aspects of the race. Please consider helping out.
    Email [email protected] to volunteer your time.

VaMoose20 Winter Mountain Bike Race | Willow, Alaska 99688 | Sunday, January 29, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Good job! VaMoose20 Race & Tour Info

Valley Mountain Bikers and Hikers are teaming up with Arctic Cycles and the Willow Winter Carnival to bring fat tire bikes out to the carnival for an afternoon of winter bike racing and touring. You can choose to speed along with other competitors, or take a more leisurely guided ride. The course will utilize the beautiful groomed trails west of Willow ]approximately 20 miles, starting and finishing at the Willow Community Center.

Billy from Arctic Cycles will have his fleet of rental bikes there for the afternoon, so if you want to rent a bike give him a call soon - the rental bikes must be reserved in advance.

Spectators are welcome and encouraged - the Willow Winter Carnival offers lots of activities, so bring the kids, and make a weekend of it. There will be food, drinks, and a warm place to relax inside the community center.

Where & When: Willow Community Center, Sunday, January 29th. Check-in at 11:00 am. Race start at 12:00 Noon, Touring will start shortly after the race start.

Pre-Registration is available On-Line at active.com
    Registration $27.50 race division & $7.50 touring
    Same Day Registration: $30 race division & $10.00 touring.

VaMoose20 Race Course: Start and Finish at the Willow Community Center in Willow. A series of connecting trails that are groomed by the Willow Trails Committee. The course crosses a variety of terrain around the lakes and through the beautiful forests west of Willow.

Touring Course: Same as race course, but the "touring group" can opt for any distance. This is a guided ride and will start shortly after race start.

Fat tire bike rental: Arctic Cycles is offering a special rate of $50 for the carnival that includes a fat tire bike (delivery to Willow) poagies, and a guide. The bikes must be reserved in advance.

Directions to Trailhead/Parking: Willow Community Center is a located west of the Parks Highway at Milepost 69.8. Parking may be limited due to the carnival activities but there should be plenty of parking at nearby facilities. You will be directed to other parking facilities if the community center lot is full.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for the info....looks interesting

mtbr member

This should be fun!

BUMP
    Get on out this weekend!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Im heading out there this weekend. See you all out there!

mtbr member

Results vamoose - 2012

A good time was has by all despite cold temperatures (-15ish) in Willow.
    Tour division had 26 riders.
    RACE RESULTS:
    1. Tony Allen 2:44:46
    2. Shelly Eller 2:51:23
    3. Kathi Merchant 2:57:21
    4. Sean Grady 3:15:04
    5. James Hodges 3:27:44

is buachail foighneach me
    Had a blast out there. Felt sluggish, but gorgeous day, great views of the mountains from some of the lakes and swamps, and mostly bomber trail conditions. Thanks VMBaH, Willow and all the volunteers!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

iPhone pics, caught you guys just before you left the start.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Good job to all who rode. I wimped when I saw a minus 28 for Willow first thing in the morning.
    Latitude 61