Vacation/Mtn biking trip- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Vacation/Mtn biking trip

Hello Alaska. I was thinking about planning a solo trip and wanted to get some advice. I will be flying in from NY and staying a week. What time of year do you recommend, what town should I stay, and any bike rental shops?
    I guess since I would be traveling solo, I want to be near people, but I would also like to do alot of nature stuff.

Thanks

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bwheelin
    Hello Alaska. I was thinking about planning a solo trip and wanted to get some advice. I will be flying in from NY and staying a week. What time of year do you recommend, what town should I stay, and any bike rental shops?
    I guess since I would be traveling solo, I want to be near people, but I would also like to do alot of nature stuff.

Thanks
    Best time of year to ride: Starting July-1 then ending in late September; Kenai Penn trails officially open then - these are big mountain trails
    Town(s) to stay in: Start in Anchorage then rent an RV and camp on the Kenai; or stay in hotels in Seward, Cooper Landing, Moose Pass, Girdwood.
    Bike Rentals: NOT GOOD unless you want to rent a Titanium Fatbike from Arctic Cycles.... I'd suggest you bring your own.

The mountain biking in AK is excellent..... trails can be difficult, remote and traffic will always be light. In fact, you might not see another cyclist all day long on these trails.

Regards

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich

Bikes are good

What he said..

and that being said, make sure you know how to fix yourself and your bike. The trails are epic here, and a bike can get you into an epic mess if you aren't careful. Last summer it was real, real late before all of the trails were ready to ride. If you have your choice, come in mid-july. Bring long sleeves, pants to keep cow parsnip off. Check out the schedule of the Arctic Bike Club for while you are here. They get groups together and hit those trails rather efficiently if you are new to them. Good luck.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Tony at Backcountry Bikes rents bikes. They also have tours, however if you are looking for people to ride with, many of us would be willing to go down and ride on the peninsula with you. Check out www.mountainbikealaska.com. Contact these guys or myself if you have any other questions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    So I guess fly into Anchorage? What do you all recommend for best activities, spots etc.... I'd like to even do some fishing, check out the wildlife(bears,etc..), and also be near or in with a happening area with people around. I'll be going solo so I'm not looking to be isolated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Fly into Anchorage. You can rent a car there. Good choices available in general, for camping and hotels. Lots of hiking to do up here as well. All activities can be done right around Anchorage, the Mat- Su Valley, and the Kenai Peninsula- as well as many more distant places. Fishing depends upon when you decide to come up here, ie; salmon runs, charters always available, trout, etc.

Members who have read this thread: 0