Use caution on Brown Bear- Mtbr.com
    Alaska Turner Mafia

Use caution on Brown Bear

I got out with LoafyD today to burn off some excess pumpkin pie. We rode Brown Bear out of curiosity, and although it's icy, the studded tires allowed us to ride pretty securely. However, we did run into two areas with new blowdowns across the trail. With the windy weather lately, I can only imagine there are other trails out there with downed trees across them as well. Watch out for the derailleur snagging twigs too. All the trails we rode today were pretty littered.

If anyone has a chainsaw or a big bow saw that wants to do some clearing on Brown Bear and needs a hand, send me a pm. If you just want to ride the trail regardless, the blowdowns are easy enough to walk around. The trail is in good shape and almost easier with the studded tires than in summer!

Rando
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Jul 2006
    Thanks for the heads up Rando.

Jul 2006
    Hey Rando, do you think it's Fat tire friendly?

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by aka bubba
    Hey Rando, do you think it's Fat tire friendly?
    Definitely not. Either it has exposed dirt or a layer of ice. I'm sure we would have gone down numerous times without the studded tires.

LoafyD and I will probably be out there again tomorrow. Today, it's Figid Bits time!

Rando

Alaska Turner Mafia

Thanks

Just wanted to pass along a thank you to the responsible parties for cutting the blowdowns out of Brown Bear. Maybe it was done officially by Campbell Tract employees, maybe just another one of us enthusiasts, regardless, it made today's ride all the better. Thanks again to those responsible.

I got out with LoafyD this morning and retraced some of the Frigid Bits Loogie course. Old Rondy (Salmon Run) Trail, Moose Track, Lore Trail, up Coyote and Homestead to the Speedway Singletrack, across to Moose Meadows and up to Black Bear, up Brown Bear, and then retraced. It's all in primo shape, but studs are a definite requirement. Get some while the going's good.

Rando

Alaska Turner Mafia

Another trail update

Ride today was similar to last weekend's, starting from the 1 mile parking lot. Right away on the Old Rondy trail I could tell today would allow no hard cornering. The trail was glazed ice with water on top, super slick. I tried to test my lean angles and after an immediate two wheeled slide decided not to go there again. The same held true for most of our route: on to Moose Track, the Lore Trail, up Homestead, across Speedway, up Moose Meadows, up Black Bear, and up Brown Bear. Even torquing on climbs would cause spin out of the rear tire.

Lower Black Bear has a substantial blow down, as does the eastern end of Brown Bear. Mid Brown Bear also has a blown down tree that fell off trail, but left a protruding jagged root from its stump alongside an off camber section. Watch out for that one. See the picture below and maybe you'll recognize the spot, second pic is at the eastern end, near the entrance.

From the end of Brown Bear we decided to get in a bit of climbing, so entered Spencer Loop from the dump-out by the maintenance station, climbing until we got to the height of the ski area chairlift drop-off so we could ride Llama on up. Spencer was icy in spots, but not nearly as glazed as what we had ridden prior to it. Both Lower and Upper Llama were more hard-packed snow than ice, pretty decent conditions really, just watch out for all the debris along the trail as a result of last night's winds. The reverse was a blast. Ran into Rio at the 1 mile bridge and mentioned to warn anyone who wants to ride the hillside to be sure and stud up! It's not just a riding enhancement any more, it's a downright safety requirement.

Any exposed manmade features are pretty icy too, one caught me by surprise.

Rando
    Last edited by EndoRando; 12-09-2007 at 10:32 AM.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Great Pics, looks like fun!

Members who have read this thread: 0