Tuck and Roll- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tuck and Roll

Bikes are good

Tuck and Roll

I broke my clavicle last monday riding down the dome. The lower 1/2 of the trail has some nice flowing sections, and I was flowing. It also had some nice mud. The kind that lets you slide off the trail like ice. I was in the brush for about 6 ft, and then wham. I stopped moving from 20mph to 0. I'm guessing on the speed, but I was having fun. While in the air I became inverted, and tried rolling to my shoulder. The idea seemed better than landing on my face. I landed very hard, and snapped the end of my clavicle. My shoulder seemed dislocated, so I tried relocating it. After the immense pain, I decided the hospital would have to figure it out. I wrestled my bike out of the bushes and rode home, to the hospital, to the surgeon in the morning, and now I can type again. I have a nice plate connecting my collarbone chunks together. Since there is no skiing now, and riding (in the dirt anyway) is done, maybe I won't miss much of either. Anyway, be careful on mud, and that shoulder roll they always tell you about works mostly, not always.

mtbr member

Rockman! Say it Ain't True!

I'm counting on you to get better by spring. There're some really big ones stacked up on the side of the trail that I need you to horse into place. Get well soon!

QB

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Whoa !

Glad the bike is ok bro and you'll be riding soon !

Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50
    I broke my clavicle last monday riding down the dome. The lower 1/2 of the trail has some nice flowing sections, and I was flowing. It also had some nice mud. The kind that lets you slide off the trail like ice. I was in the brush for about 6 ft, and then wham. I stopped moving from 20mph to 0. I'm guessing on the speed, but I was having fun. While in the air I became inverted, and tried rolling to my shoulder. The idea seemed better than landing on my face. I landed very hard, and snapped the end of my clavicle. My shoulder seemed dislocated, so I tried relocating it. After the immense pain, I decided the hospital would have to figure it out. I wrestled my bike out of the bushes and rode home, to the hospital, to the surgeon in the morning, and now I can type again. I have a nice plate connecting my collarbone chunks together. Since there is no skiing now, and riding (in the dirt anyway) is done, maybe I won't miss much of either. Anyway, be careful on mud, and that shoulder roll they always tell you about works mostly, not always.

Fatback
    Sorry to hear it. If there is any time to do it, it is now. Hoping for a quick recovery. See ya.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

Alaska Turner Mafia

Bummer

I hate to hear about anyone experiencing an injury serious enough to keep them off the bike! Heal well. You'll be back before you know it. The thing to remember though is to be disciplined enough to let yourself thoroughly heal. It's always so tempting to get back into it prematurely, so let pain be your guide. Hope you have a fast recovery.

Rando
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

I know what you're going thru....

It took me 22 years of mountain biking before I finally broke a bone due to the sport. I broke my right hand Sept 2 2007 off the top of Lost Lake. Seven miles back to the car with a broken hand.... I'll never forget it..... thank god for disc brakes and full suspension. I was off my bike for 6 loooooong weeks.... might as well been a year..... that's what it felt like. It was tantamount to torture.

The only thing that made me feel better was that I didn't break a leg or ankle. I can't possibly imagine a lower limb break.... imagine if you couldn't walk right now. So, take it easy next time.....

And get well soon...

Regards,

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich

Bikes are good

Definitely

a good time, (if you can say there is a good time to break a bone) it is a Fall like this one. Actually, the trails might set up nice if we get some freezing temps.
    How'd you break your hand? Was it your landing gear? I thought rolling for it was a good idea. Next time I'll put the hands out, and go for a hand spring.

We should make this a carnage thread. Other than broken skin, this is my only biking injury. I've broken helmets on the ground, (I wasn't wearing one for the clavicle crash because I had a wooly on). So, broken clavicle, and hand. What else can happen?

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    I've broken both of my collar bones, so I know exactly what you're going through. In a couple of weeks you'll start really feeling good, be careful, those things take way longer to heal than you would expect.
    The last collar bone break I had was back in '06 (the reason I joined mtbr and the reason for the mtbr handle) and I wound up re-breaking the bone three times before I (with much stern influence from my wife) just decided to settle down and let the damn thing heal. This is very difficult with 2' of fresh at Aly. You should be glad that this happened during the transition between summer and winter sports, you shouldn't miss any skiing.

Heal well .
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

It was after the LL race and I got stuck....

in a deep rut caused by all the foot traffic. I was cornering hard at speed and my front tire clipped the lip of the rut and I augered in hard. I'm lucky I didn't break both my hand and collar bone. My hand landed on a sharp rock which proceed to snap my 5th metacarple in my right hand. I could here it snap and I knew instanly that I broke it. My hand swelled up so much that I hand to cut my glove off back at the car. It was very painful.

Regards,

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50
    We should make this a carnage thread.....
    I'll let the pics tell the story. Oct. '05, Utah mtbiking vacation. Day four of fourteen.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Inner views after first surgery....some hardware of my own!

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Then a second surgery about five months later. This first one is right out of the cast. Second shows lots of pieces removed and remaining kneecap, one residue piece of wire still inside.

It's been three years now, and I finally feel like I can start riding without knee concerns. It was a helluva ride!

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Rando,
    You're such a Nancy. I've had bigger scratches than that on my eyeball and I could still see.

Those are the gnarliest carnage photos ever.

BTW I hear that you aren't even wearing your knee pad anymore. Glad to hear you've made the full recovery.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

Wood chips are stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    Rando,
    You're such a Nancy. I've had bigger scratches than that on my eyeball and I could still see.

Those are the gnarliest carnage photos ever.

BTW I hear that you aren't even wearing your knee pad anymore. Glad to hear you've made the full recovery.
    No keee pads,at least not when he's riding his bike.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    BTW I hear that you aren't even wearing your knee pad anymore.
    Let's just say I've become selective about wearing it.....catch that Leonard!

OH yeah, don't let my wife know.....in either case.......

Elf, got any x-rays?

Bikes are good

I do

I have hard copies. I will get them electronically, somehow, and post them.

Nice knee destruction. I dislocated my knee playing football in high school, and have a scratch like yours from where they reattached my patellar tendon to my tibia. I was a medical red shirt my freshman year in college healing up, and it's been my "good knee" ever since. It doesn't count, as it is not a biking injury.

Bikes are good

New shoulder

Well, plate and screws anyway. Not sure if the picture will show up. For some reason I can't find a better quality shot on the disc they gave me.

Jun 2008
    been there, thats why i wear knee/shin guards

Aug 2004
    Ouch. I thought I was the only loony biker here. I broke 7 bones in one year on Bainbridge Island, biking what they call "trails" there. Then came the summer my brother and I were racing back to the glacier along Eklutna, top gear down a long hill. At the bottom I thought we were going right to the lake edge and he thought we were going left. We collided, I went over his back and crashed in the rocks. I crushed the cartilage in my right knee, and lost a ton of blood. The worst part was, it was almost back to the airstrip when I crashed, and I had to ride back out to the truck. Ow ow ow ow ow.

The later MRI looked like the cooking channel... you know how people dice up onions? That was my knee.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Boy, this stuff all seems slight compared to the news about Fred.

Members who have read this thread: 0