Trip to Anchorage ?s- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Trip to Anchorage ?s

It looks like I will be in Anchorage on business July 27-30. I was going to stay an extra day with the hope of riding the coast...and I have read a few posts about bike stores/rentals. I am not sure if I should ship my bike or rent mainly because I may have some down time on the weekdays. My ?s are:

Given the time of year and being in Anchorage, any reason if I am finished at 5 or so, I can't do a "night" ride (do park close, bear come out to feed, etc)?

Are there trails close to Anchorage that are close and ok to ride solo so that I can ride after work/early evening?

What trails would you recommend...I ride xc trails on FS 29ner (unfortunately a poor climber, but decent techical skills). Not sure how far the STA trails are but they look great.

It looks like rentals are pretty limited..downtown bikes and then a company that does tours (I have emailed but waiting for response). Many thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure on the rentals of moutain bikes. But I often start my rides around 8pm after work. There are many trails where bears can be avoided, making lots of noise will help to keep you from seeing them.

The STA trails are fairly wide and smooth for single track with no super steep climbs. The are located at the base of our front range mountins and provide some nice views of the ocean and sometimes the Alaska Range, including Denali. The trails are about a 20-30 minute drive from downtown.

Kincaid is located near the airport and near sea level. It also has good riding trails with great views of Knik and Turnagain arms, and Denali when she shows her face.

An extra few days in town could get you to the Kenai penninsula for IMHO the best AK riding and red salmon combat fishing that time of year.

There may be someone here or on AKspokes (website down right now for some reason) that may be able to lend you a bike. I might be available that time of year to ride and to lend you a bike. Send me a PM sometime.

~Joe

mtbr member
    The rental booth at the Copper Whale Inn in downtown anchorage has some new Gary Fisher Hardtail 29r's - nice bikes! This concession is run by long-time bike and recreation supporter Dan of Lifetime Adventures.
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thank you both...Joe, I will send you a email when I get things confirmed...the more I look the longer I need to stay (esp if I throw fishing in the mix)! I definately want to get down to Kenai if I can. I will give Copper Whale a call.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    If the weather here is decent when you come you won't want to leave. If possible allocate more time just in case.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yes...I am friends with a few going up..they want to fish so it seems like 2 weeks is what i need!!! The Kodiak website and Tcheezy's posts are pretty amazing. If anyone has a suggestion for a fishing guide, feel free to throw it out. I told those guys biking is priority one, but a few rides after work may be the fix...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Fishing and biking are not mutually exclusive. Actually quite the contrary, it's a lifestlye here on the Kenai for some.

A great resource for up to date fishing reports is Alaska Outdoor Journal. Several links to reputable guide services can be found on that site along with evreything else you need to know. Make sure and bring your packable fly rod . Fantastic lake fishing can be had along with an awesome riding experience.

Hope I haven't discouraged you too much.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm planning to bring my rigid 1x9. Do you see that as being a problem on most of the xc trails? Do I need to plan on warm/wet weather gear?
    Thanks, Bill

mtbr member
    I think that's fine. I very rarely us more gears than that. I ride my rigid single speed 29er on all of the in town trails. Rode lost lake (15 miles up and over a pass) on my full suspension but a friend on the ride had a rigid surly, he was fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the advice. Talked to Dan and will have 2 wheels (opted not to bring my bike). I am going to try and hit some trails Weds-Friday...the struggle is whether I got coast and ride sat or fish....my flight (right now) is 830 pm Sunday...subject to change of +1 day. Geared up with some waterproof gear and a fired up attitude!

mtbr member

here fishy fishy

i've been injured for a couple of weeks now so all i have been doing is fishing...attached is a photo from saturday morning. if you fish for reds i suggest the lower river below the lakes (you'll figure that out). the fish my friends picked up in the combat zones were pretty red...
    ~j
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trip to Anchorage ?s-imag0080.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Wow...went whitewater rafting yesterday at 6 mile "creek" ....it was awesome. Went with chugacach outdoor center....they did a great job and i recommend them. Do the 3 canyons vs 2. Start riding tomorrow..where, not sure yet. Fingers crossed for sun...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Postscript "Scratching the Surface"

The trip was awesome. I get the last frontier slogan now. I think I made fair use of my time. Obviously, the weather hampered riding ( I am pretty sure the trails in Seward I was going to hit would have been pretty muddy this weeked).

I whitewater rafted 6 mile. Rode STA trail in Anchorage. Hit Johnson Pass for ride (got a bit muddy once I got back in trail and cut short). Fly fishing at Kenai...it was slow per locals but I have never fly fished and a few got away, but landed 2 keepers and had a blast. Tent camped at Exit Glacier for two days and did the short hike up to it. Ate mucho salmon and halibut. I cant wait to get back...if so, I will bring my bike. Everyone there was great and very helpful. Did I mention it was awsome?

A friend went up north and did well fishing (limit there was 3) and got some great wildlife pics at Denali. Oh and coming back to 100ish degrees temps is brutal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Sounds like the fish were not the only ones hooked on your trip.

Members who have read this thread: 0