Tree cutting- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tree cutting

mtbr member

Tree cutting

Valley people I'm tired of climbing over and around trees on the Long Lake Loop trail in the Greenbelt. I have some time on friday that I'm going to bring my chainsaw out with me and cut some of these trees up.

My plan is just to cut up the trees for now and not take the time to move them off the trail so if anyone wants to follow along and clear debris I'm planning on starting from the Long Lake Trailhead about 10ish and moving counter clockwise around the lake. Ideally I would be finished by 1:00 or so.

No, that's not phonetic
    Obviously no one wants to follow you into the forest with a chain saw.

I'd do it, but it's a long drive to the trailhead for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    You might check with the muni to make sure its officially OK to do this. I've gotten in trouble for this in different locations a long time ago, just a heads up...I'm not free Friday, but if there is still chopped up stuff on the trails, I'd be happy to help clear saturday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Obviously no one wants to follow you into the forest with a chain saw.
    LOL ,but why not?

You're excused because your from Kodiak. THOSE people dont now which end of the branch to throw off into the woods anyway.

Looks like it will be more towards 11 now if anyone cared. Wife has Appt in the morning that I was 'volunteered' to drive her to.

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeC AK
    You might check with the muni to make sure its officially OK to do this. I've gotten in trouble for this in different locations a long time ago, just a heads up...I'm not free Friday, but if there is still chopped up stuff on the trails, I'd be happy to help clear saturday.

muni likely doesn't give a crap, since the trail in question is in the valley.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    muni likely doesn't give a crap, since the trail in question is in the valley.

Is the trail you refer to within cycling distance of South Carolina?

If I can make if from here tscheezy should be able to make it from Kodiak. Don't you think?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    How did it go? Anyone from the Borough arrest you?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeC AK
    How did it go? Anyone from the Borough arrest you?
    Done deal was finished up in about three hours. I was out there all by myself. I took a shortcut through the woods from the three corners down across the lake and though that area had plenty of nice terrain for some awesome new single track. I need to figure out how to work my GPS software and make a couple of tracks through the area before spring comes along and talk with someone from VBMH or whomever and organize a trail team.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by akpirate
    You're excused because your from Kodiak. THOSE people dont now which end of the branch to throw off into the woods anyway.
    I dunno how you big city folk do it, but us bush folk toss the branches sideways so that the wind catches them and blows them over to the mainland.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by akpirate
    Done deal was finished up in about three hours. I was out there all by myself. I took a shortcut through the woods from the three corners down across the lake and though that area had plenty of nice terrain for some awesome new single track. I need to figure out how to work my GPS software and make a couple of tracks through the area before spring comes along and talk with someone from VBMH or whomever and organize a trail team.
    Why don't you come to Matanuska Greenbelt meeting Wed 6pm at the Matanuska Experiment Farm - main lab building, 2nd floor.
    http://www.matanuska-greenbelt.org/announcements-1 (road map is on trail maps page)
    We will be talking about events (races), maintenance, and trailhead signs (opinions wanted on drafts) - and maybe what the group wants to do in the future - like more trails. Maintenance has been discussed multiple times over the past year or so, obviously without any resolution. The work that trail angels do is recognized - greatly appreciated by trail users (I know I sure do since I can only handle up to bowsaw-sized stuff) and a concern to land managers. We're trying to figure out how to make things work.

VMBaH has 2 spring trail work days tentatively scheduled in the MGT - probably May 14 and May 28, but if weather permits, we'd move them earlier. (at least I asked them to put them on the calendar) Basically getting the race course ready. For new trails, it could be proposed to VMBaH (not sure of their time availability) or to MGT and try to find a group of people that could do something. Come Wed night. I think some of the key people will be there then.

The new Mat-Su Trails and Parks Foundation (patterned after Anchorage Park Foundation to some extent) may be able to help with some of these issues (maintenance, new trails), but it's still very much in formative stages. Stay tuned over the next couple months as details are worked out.

Members who have read this thread: 0