trails around Anchorage- Mtbr.com
    HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

trails around Anchorage

I was wondering how the trails are around Anchorage. Is it flat, hilly, mountainous? Is there lots of singletrack? We don't have much smooth singletrack near my house in Italy...the soil is extremely rocky. Does the city butt right up to the mountains? That's how it is here and how it was in Colorado Springs. You can find some awesome climbing.

Are most of you running full suspension? I have a couple hardtails and a cross bike at the moment.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Smile

In the Anchorage bowl, most of the summer bike trail riding is on cross country ski trails l with lots of variety. The east side of Anchorage does butt up directly into the mountains which then turns into Chugach State Park. It has some of the best riding: from fast single track to subalpine above treeline riding (aka Powerline Pass). The state park can be accessed by trail via Bicentiniel Park or directly from several trail heads on the Hillside. Anchorage itself has a wide variety of riding with hundreds of mile of trails troughout town. Some of the best single track cross country like trail riding probably in the wolrd is within a hour or two of Anchorage.
    When you get here, check with the Bicycle Shop on Northern Lights. Those guys can point you the right direction.
    Just my input, you'll learn more once you get here. It looks like you are getting here just in time for the start of the best riding season. I'm sure others on this Board can tell you more!