Trailhead thefts- Mtbr.com

Aug 2004

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Trailhead thefts

I was on the Tour of Anchorage trail Saturday night, up to the Campbell Creek Science Center, then came out to the iron bridge leading to the road a mile up from Tudor. It was about 11PM and there was a guy there lurking, looking in car windows. He saw me coming and ducked down between 2 cars. I checked license plate numbers in the parking lot as I rode thru and went down the road. Looking back over my shoulder I saw him split in a hurry heading up toward Stuckagain Heights. He was driving a red, older Ford Explorer, with rectangular headlights, license plate started with FDV. He's late 20s, early 30s, light shoulder-length wavy hair, light colored beard, a smoker. I called the cops from my bike ... if you see the guy and his truck at trailheads, watch him closely.

Ologist
    Thanks for the post and for calling. I have a couple of friends who have been ripped off over there. One got jacked twice at 2 different spots!!

Aug 2004
    By the way, I had a Kona Hoss get stolen ... it's big, with a 22" frame. Dark blue color, new condition. If anyone has a lead PLEASE let me know? Thanks! Serial number ends with 01860.

Ologist
    Sorry to hear that, but just for my own info - when and where was that?

Aug 2004
    The bike was stolen from UAA in October. I've been watching online forums and every passing day makes me that much more likely to break the thief in half when I do find him.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting. If all trail users were willing to watch out for each other we could help reduce this stuff.

I remember being about 3 pitches up on a rock climb in Index WA and hearing my car alarm go off... I shouted to some guys on the ground who quickly droped everything and ran to the parking lot. By the time they go there no one was around, but I am sure glad they were willing to help out.

Aug 2004
    That's what it's all about.... we watch out for each other. Even places like REI get bikes stolen from the front rack.

If you see someone struggling with a lock, offer to help. A real biker will be pleasant, a thief won't be. You know what a rider acts like... your spider sense will tell you when something's wrong. When in doubt whip out the cell phone and take a photo, then see if the guy runs off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanuq
    That's what it's all about.... we watch out for each other. Even places like REI get bikes stolen from the front rack.

If you see someone struggling with a lock, offer to help. A real biker will be pleasant, a thief won't be. You know what a rider acts like... your spider sense will tell you when something's wrong. When in doubt whip out the cell phone and take a photo, then see if the guy runs off.
    Just make sure your ready for it if the guy wants to take your phone away!

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

U wanna piece of me?

Quote Originally Posted by mtbike_AK
    Just make sure your ready for it if the guy wants to take your phone away!
    I giant U-lock might discourage that. I keep mine bungee corded to my front rack for quick access.

Here's my weapon of choice...great for thumping bike thieves and keeping the throngs of ladies at bay who inevitably follow me whenever I wear my white spandex shorty-shorts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0