The trail and tire question...again.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

The trail and tire question...again.

Looking for input on the best tires for Anchorage/Kenia Peninsula riding. I perfer Maxxis tires...for personal reasons...and like to run tubeless. I'm putting them on an all-mountain rig and want tread that is reasonably aggressive. Also, besides Johnson Pass and Resurrection, what are the best trails in the Kenia mtns? Any input on Hatcher Pass? Trails in Homer? I'm coming up for the summer and need something to keep me occupied.

mtbr member

more kenai trails

gull rock, crescent lake, russian lakes, and lost lake are some favorites. i run kenda nevegals and wtb mutano raptors tubeless. but i prefer fast rollers to aggressive tread.

mtbr member
    I have this setup on my EVO/AM rig

Minion DHF front 2.35, folding bead
    High Roller Rear 2.35 folding

Both tires are @ or under the 700g mark, hookup well, and roll well. Seems to clear out the mud pretty decent also.

I ran the ardent 2.4 on the front last year, very nice tire, but you really have confidence to throw it over in the corners, not alot of transitional tread so its drifts a tad, but when it hooks up, hold on. Also rolls well , and clears out well, hooks up on roots, rocks etc. I would entertain this combo also 2.4/2.25 combo in a folding bead. I ran the DH casing last year.

Ologist
    I have been running Nevegal UST for the past 4-5 years but since almost all of our trails in south-central are hard packed I decided to give Schwalbe Racing Ralphs a try. Obviously they probably won't work well during mud season but neither did the Nevegals. The rolling resistance between the two was instantaneously noticeable and at this point in the season I am not noticing a difference in traction.

Other tires on my short list were Schwalbe Nobby Nics, Maaxis Ignitors, and Continental Mountain Kings, and WTB Exiwolf.

Members who have read this thread: 0