Trail report (rivers)- Mtbr.com
    Beware of Doggerel

Trail report (rivers)

Seems there are a few folks following this forum for trial conditions so here is a post on the rivers..

Eric and I rode almost to Yetena station this weekend. I say almost, because we didn't see it, but I dropped a GPS waypoint at our turnaround point and it looks like we could have spit and hit Yetena Station, we were right on top of it. Curvy river. Anyway the trails were great. Saw a bunch of folks out there grooming and trail marking for the Susitna 100. There is a TON of lath out there for just about every event you can think of. I did notice that some of the Lath on the river has been run down by snowmachines.

The rivers were cold at night, my little digital thermometer recorded a low of -24.9 F. We got up on the bank to bivy where it was "much" warmer (about -16 to -20). Then woke up sunday morning to fresh snow. It was a balmy -4 in the morning and got up to +10 by the time we got back to the car.

It was snowing pretty solid on the rivers, flat light not really a white out but not the best visibility, off the rivers it was not snowing. Still bits of glare ice here and there so todays snow (assuming it sets up before the race) should really make the course fast and solid.

Adam

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yentna Station

Adam, Yentna Station is on the right bank just as you're coming out of a huge bend in the river. You actually turn south on the river before it turns back north, and YS is on the right. There should be airstrip markers (trees) on the river in front of it.
    How were the Exiwolfs?
    Pat

Caveman

flying squirls are cool

We were on that bend but probably a few spruce's away form seeing the lights. It was not a goal anyway, only in the morning did we realize it. We were promptly reminded by Grisly Adams in his snowmachine.
    Tires are awesome we were both psyched with them - such firm conditions though your cross check would have been fine.

I had some problems with my socks though, and hence Adam and I came up with some great new training stratigies along the way... snicker snicker..

Looks like its time to test the exi's with the new fluff.

This place needs an enema
    Thanks for the report Adam. You're getting serious about this race, aren't you? Either that or you and E are just having a party training for it. Or, you and E have sssomething elssse going on. Perhaps you've sewn up a double sleeping bag and need to go all the way out to YS to feel comfortable using it?

Cool to hear that the trail is so well packed. Hope that it stays that way. Probably no one has told you this, but once you leave the rivers (Yentna and Skwentna) you're walking from there to Rohn...

Or something like that...

Kidding aside, it does my old heart good to hear that you guys are making a weekly science project out of prepping for this race. Makes for a fun winter and it makes for a safe race. Good on ya.

Catchya later.

MC

Caveman
    You quessed right Mike!
    We've worked out a good system where we both just bring summer bags and zip them together. Its much warmer, luckly our signifficant others dont read this board!

Spooning during a race is a perfectally accecptable practice isnt it? what? ... no one else has umm before? I have some friends that ummmm.. How did you guys sleep on the Yukon? correct me if I'm wrong but it didnt look like you took much gear so you must have spooned...
    Last edited by Bearbait; 02-09-2005 at 12:40 PM.

Beware of Doggerel

Yenetna Yahoo

MC:
    Serious?? Well about as serious as I can be, Eric is going to be a serious contender. He is fast and strong (and patient since he waits for me during these rides). Iím going to be focusing on just dragging my sorry self over the finish line and having a good time out there, may turn into more of a "fast tour" than a race for me, but weíll see, you never know how things might turn out.

Pushing to Rohn? What no one told me there would be pushing involved!! We got a dump of snow last night so Iím going out for a push tonight, and as for your various implications, I donít know what goes on in this race but now Iím a bit nervousÖ"what happens in the woods stays in the woods"Ö

Pat:
    The Exiís worked great. We werenít trying to go to YS just go out for a long ride, it just ended up that we went about that far.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Thanks for the report Adam. You're getting serious about this race, aren't you? Either that or you and E are just having a party training for it. Or, you and E have sssomething elssse going on. Perhaps you've sewn up a double sleeping bag and need to go all the way out to YS to feel comfortable using it?

Cool to hear that the trail is so well packed. Hope that it stays that way. Probably no one has told you this, but once you leave the rivers (Yentna and Skwentna) you're walking from there to Rohn...

Or something like that...

Kidding aside, it does my old heart good to hear that you guys are making a weekly science project out of prepping for this race. Makes for a fun winter and it makes for a safe race. Good on ya.

Catchya later.

MC

Spooning rules!

Oh yeah--I totally agree that spooning is all the rage in backcountry events. Saves on weight and allows us foes to bond when the weather turns...

When Pat asked me to go the Yukon ride I didn't think twice. I just told him, "Sure--as long as you get to be the little spoon..."!

Heading out for a push tonight? Reminds of that joke about the guy (at a gay bar) getting up to leave. The guy next to him asks, "Mind if I push in your stool?"

Yuk yuk...

Happy pushing!

MC

Beware of Doggerel

I knew it..

This explains why I felt all icky (I thought it was just the befouled air), after spending a few hours "sleeping" in the front of Pat's pickup with MC this summer... as a newbie to this whole endurance racing thing I had no idea but I knew in my heart it was wrong ... I wasn't shivering with cold, that was fear, fear and shame...oh the horror...

Oh well too late to turn back now. I always suspected that Deliverance was some sort of backcountry love story, like Romeo and Juliet except less violent and more banjoriffic.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Oh yeah--I totally agree that spooning is all the rage in backcountry events. Saves on weight and allows us foes to bond when the weather turns...

When Pat asked me to go the Yukon ride I didn't think twice. I just told him, "Sure--as long as you get to be the little spoon..."!

Heading out for a push tonight? Reminds of that joke about the guy (at a gay bar) getting up to leave. The guy next to him asks, "Mind if I push in your stool?"

Yuk yuk...

Happy pushing!

MC

I feel so dirty.

Wait--that's just the lingering effects from the aforementioned foul air in Pat's truck. Adam, what was your race diet? Did it work any better than your race strategy?

Eric, Adam called me (on the sly) and told me that he's got a very important question to ask you: If you went camping (theoretically, of course) and woke up with a sore ass, would you tell anyone?

Call Pat if you need coaching on the answer...

MC

Caveman

little spoon ha ha haaaaa

oh my, this is heading south quick
    I'm just so glad I didn't hang out at Johnsons pass much longer.. an evening of threesome spooning isnt quite my thing, I like to be (ok mostly) monogamous in my spooning, didnt Pat and Kathy have some Dogs along too?

Adam, its ok. your reaction is perfectally normal. Maybe some day on another ride (with someone else) you can be the big spoon big daddy spoon... just keep focused my friend

FatBike Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    oh my, this is heading south quick
    I'm just so glad I didn't hang out at Johnsons pass much longer.. an evening of threesome spooning isnt quite my thing, I like to be (ok mostly) monogamous in my spooning, didnt Pat and Kathy have some Dogs along too?

Adam, its ok. your reaction is perfectally normal. Maybe some day on another ride (with someone else) you can be the big spoon big daddy spoon... just keep focused my friend
    When you start riding tandems, we'll really start wondering, (not that there's anything wrong with that) but hey, whatever it takes, I guess.

Wildfire

mtbr member

Good job!

chuckle chuckle chuckle
    snicker snicker snicker
    chortle-chortle!!!

tee hee tee hee.... I just love you guys!!! and I really mean that!
    The mental images warm my heart. Okay, group hug!!!

FatBike Fiend
    Rode out from Knik Lake on Saturday with Bill M and Kathi. Trail was surprisingly good to the Burma Road but then the paddle track crowd came through and rototilled the trail past there into a fine wallowy dust. Kathi and BillM the Little Su but no rideable sections past there to speak off. Ran into another biker and some runners training for the Su 100 and two skiers training for the AK Ultrasport. Good ride, it's the first time I've had to push in a long time.

Wildfire