Trail Report- Mtbr.com

Thread: Trail Report

mtbr member

Trail Report

Rode from Service HS tonight. Everything frozen solid, lots of potholes from moose, walkers, dogs,on most trails no bear tracks that I saw. Details below.

Homestead, Viewpoint: Lots of potholes, some sections could be ridden on fairly smooth snow near edges of the trail, others were extremely bumpy.

Moose Meadows: Narrower with more potholes, not much way around them.

Mellan's Way was nice and smooth singletrack though a little icier in spots. Funnest section of the ride.

Gasline and most of Abbot Trail mostly groomed and fast, but slick in spots.

Nobody else out but a few tire tracks around. Overall fun and rideable, but bumpy.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Russian Jack MUP trail was in great shape this AM, all of the little offshoots were chunky monkey!
    Chester Creek between Gomez and A st also just as good!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Kodiak trails are fairly clean with snow and ice only in patches. The forest sections are fast and fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I just rode from Hilltop to Westchester and back on fat tires no studs. Gasline was great, Rover's to the Y was great from there to the Tour trail was pretty post holed but ridable. Tour trail to Salmon run postholed but you could ride around most of them, Salmon Run was bumpy but ridable. the Tour trail from there to almost Tudor Road was like a paved bike trail. From there to Westchester was pretty good and fast. On the return I rode Blue Dot, it is great except for just south of the log bridge where our sleepless bear has postholed the crap out of it for a couple hundred yards. After Blue Dot I went left toward the Science Center, bumpy but ridable, then the tour trail to Moose Meadows and down Moose Meadows to Rovers. The latter were also bumpy but very ridable. Have fun out there.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Well, this fresh snow will help those potholes from moose/bears/walkers/horses Now we just have to get them packed down and rideable again! Get out and ride!

I did snowshoe a bit this morning and there were new trees down...I didn't have a saw with--might be worth bringing one with you if you go out!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Tried to ride Campbell Tract, but it was just too deep and too soft for two wheels. Lots of new snow out that way. They had been out with the snowmachine drag, but it did not help much. Maybe snowshoes tomorrow.

Ologist

Big Lake Trails

Big Lake area trails and down to Su are in fantastic shape. Groomed and set up nice w/o much snowmachine activity.

Only dog sleds (and me) running the trails during the week.

mtbr member
    Road from Hilltop to the Tank Trail, some areas are still pretty soft but definitely rideable. Tank Trail is getting packed by walkers and is rideable if you don't mind kicking along when your front wheel veers into the deep stuff, snow is pretty dry and loose. Multi use trail from Hilltop to Service is starting to get packed but pretty tough to ride.

We'll see what this next storm brings.

mtbr member
    Russian jack is packed down now and all the way down the path that borders APU to the tudor bridge. Also we packed down a few single tracks in the woods with snowshoes yesterday. If you have garmin connect you can find them!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Rode the Moose Ridge tonight. Pretty loose still with lots of hickers kicking up the loose snow. Tank trail is in pretty good shape.

mtbr member
    Rode out Gasline, Tank Trail to the Moose Ridge Loop tonight.

Tank Trail was nicely packed out to Moose Ridge.

Moose Ridge was definitely rideable but very single tracky, pretty narrow packed path. As you got down toward the 4.5 and 2.5km Loops the snow got looser and less packed which made climbing a bit harder.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Trails nice again

Just back from a short tour (Saturday evening 12/17) - Speedway, Tour Trail, Blue Dot, etc. etc. are all nice and firm. Blue Dot is narrow but in good shape.

mtbr member
    Russian Jack is hard and icy, very fast riding. Just be carefull out there when turning

mtbr member
    Hiiltop trails are all fast and hard, snow on the edges of the trail have packed down so if you veer off a little you can still power through.

Rode Gasline, Tank Trail, Moose Ridge Loop, Mellen's Way, to Moose Meadows and back to Gasline.

mtbr member
    Tonight on Drone, Queen Bee, and first part of JanIces Jive... all firm, with narrowing trail the higher you get. Ride-able up with coordination and the stamina to keep the bike going forward ( not quite me), going down rocked.
    Last edited by Mesotony; 12-22-2011 at 09:15 AM.
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Rode Viewpoint, Lynx, Blue dot and Tour trail last night. Getting a lot of snow! Blue dot was skinny in some spots with a couple of downed trees. Lynx was fun and even going downhill I had to pedal to keep moving on the Viewpoint.

Looking forward to the long weekend!!! Merry Christmas everyone!

mtbr member
    Freshies tonight on what is sure to become a annual tradition, the Christmas Eve Midnight Ride!

Rode Multiuse from Abbott/Outer Hilltop Parking Lot (very soft but rideable at low pressures) to Gasline (Well groomed) to about 3/4's of Rover's Run (very soft, ride, push, ride, with some stretches better than others, super soft shoulders but still fun).

Merry Christmas!

mtbr member
    May 2007

Kincaid

from the jodphur parking lot the smaller loop around out to the kincade road corner and back to the sand dune was nicely traveled and packed. All the other loops are ridable but less traveled and softer.

merry x-mas!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Blue Dot, Rovers and Moose Meadow are bomber. Russian Jack is SOFT! University and tour trail are getting worked.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    All trails are good from the ball fields according to a reliable neighborhood source.

Jesus is coming Look busy
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroganof View Post
    All trails are good from the ball fields according to a reliable neighborhood source.
    Just arrived from the Caribbean visiting Enduser. Wow!!!! Some snow huh!.. Just did a hot lap around the multi-purpose up to hilltop, down rovers,moose meadow then speedway over across the Tour trail to the Boggie, back up to the tour trail past Service then home it's remarkably good..

mtbr member
    Are the trails rideable for non-fatty riders? or would i be better off going out to Eklutna and riding the snowmachine trails around the lake(sounds kinda boreing to me)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by f00g View Post
    Are the trails rideable for non-fatty riders? or would i be better off going out to Eklutna and riding the snowmachine trails around the lake(sounds kinda boreing to me)
    Moose Ridge, Blue Dot and Speedway in the past few days are pretty solid. Should be able to get through them with little trouble on a skinny tire.

Bikes are good

STA trails

Tough on the up. Maybe we should arrange shuttle rides from Glen Alps?
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    ^like this

Is everyone just hiking/riding up Drone?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Tried to ride Hilltop STA Janice was really bad, needs lots of people on it, queen bee was kinda duable. Still fun though !

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Kincade is epic! All trails a go.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hillside trails are bomber but I had an interesting experience today. I passed two guys going the other way on Moose Meadows, said hi to both of them. One sort of looked my way but made no aknowledgement that I was there the other didn't even look at me. I mean our handlebars are 6" apart and they didn't even look ay me? A far cry from the old days when meeting another rider on the trail was a big deal. Still it is nice how fast the trails get packed out these days.
    Latitude 61

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Syran, I have this same problem, say hi to some SnowBiking folks and they don't even acknowledge you even said hi. Lately the skiers have been very friendly which is odd.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I noticed that some people have been a little quiet. They may just be shy.

Rode Russian Jack last night, trails were skinny if they were packed at all. Looks like the skiers and walkers are working it though!

May 2009

STA Hillside

Quote Originally Posted by nykolaz View Post
    Tried to ride Hilltop STA Janice was really bad, needs lots of people on it, queen bee was kinda duable. Still fun though !
    I rode from Hilltop to Prospect yest no problem. The Jive and the Bee are good to go. The north STA trails need more foot,snowshoe ski traffic. Prospect was awesome........ Gas line and lower llama were in great shape. I didn't see any fat tracks though.........

Anchorage, AK

Frosty Bottom

Anybody been through the university section of the Frosty Bottom in the last few days? How's it look?
    Last edited by Lars_D; 01-04-2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Anyone been on the Resurrection Trail lately?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

No good

Quote Originally Posted by ziax01 View Post
    Anybody been through the university section of the Frosty Bottom in the last few days? How's it look?
    It's got a little bit of snow on it, but other than that it's groomed and fast.

mtbr member
    Anyone been out w/just studs (I guess other than fatbikes) on these trails? If so, good, bad...

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    They were great before we just got all this fresh powder today, will need a few days of rest before studs are good again!

mtbr member
    How much snow did Anchorage get? Palmer has maybe two inches...looks like I'll be hating it for the Frosty Bottom....

Anchorage, AK
    Anchorage has about 3 inches. I am not happy. I was planning on doing the Frosty Bottom on my fairly narrow spiked tires. It should still be doable, but not nearly as well as if it hadn't snowed.

May 2009

Snow

Quote Originally Posted by AKxc View Post
    How much snow did Anchorage get? Palmer has maybe two inches...looks like I'll be hating it for the Frosty Bottom....
    I live right by Service HS, I had about 6in in the drive this AM of beautiful cold smoke!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Went riding on the costal trail. It's not too bad, the guys were grooming it while I was there. Trails would be definitely softer than last year for the frosty bottom. It is also supposed to snow tomorrow ...

Anchorage, AK
    Well I guess I will give the frost bottom a try. If its too much for my tires I'll just pull off when the course comes closest to my house (or turn around at the start). Hope its not too windy.
    Last edited by Lars_D; 01-06-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    I rode through bicentenial from tudor to the ball fields last night, it had some snow but it's not bad, just extra work. Was a great ride though!

May 2009

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alaskairhog View Post
    I rode through bicentenial from tudor to the ball fields last night, it had some snow but it's not bad, just extra work. Was a great ride though!
    Thanks for the update!.. I'll head out after work today to throw down some more tread. Keep it alive

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The Frosty Bottom was pretty good today. A little bit of wind blown snow on the coastal trail. Conditions were good, up at Service the snow was a bit deeper. Had to dismount and air down to finish the race.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Frosty

The course was a lot better than I had expected. I went with much higher pressures than I felt I should, but it worked out well. Only had some difficulty between Service and Hilltop where it was softer, but Rover's and Moose Meadow were surprisingly hard packed. The bulk of the Tour trail and Coastal trail were groomed just before the fresh dusting of snow and were pretty solid except for the occasional drift along the coast.

Lots of snow expected tonight (6-12 inches, so we might get 2 or 3.....), so conditions will likely be pretty different tomorrow.

mtbr member
    anyone been out around Russian Jack, APU, or University Lake today? I'm thinking I'll ski to work tomorrow rather than bike. The couple miles of single track I put in with snow shoes around university lake will take some work to get going again!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I haven't been out since the Frosty, had to shovel today.

I'll be out tomorrow to scope out the trails.

May 2009

Snow!

Quote Originally Posted by wrcRS View Post
    I haven't been out since the Frosty, had to shovel today.

I'll be out tomorrow to scope out the trails.
    So, after 2 trips up and down the drive way with the snowblower. I through on the skins and ski toured the STA trails on the Hillside. Nice Ski!... A few other folks had gotten out as well. Drone and Bee and Jive should be pretty close to ridable in a another day or so. The Northern loops not so much. Broke alot of trail on Stinger. No traffic at all on the Llama. At least after 3pm or so. Got some good powder turns down the far left of Hilltop. Good loop!.........

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My wife and I drug the chariot around on our snowshoes and the trails are getting better. Blue dot had little to no bike traffic as of 5pm Monday. It is setting up and should be ready to go! I plan on making some fat tracks tonight!

May 2009

Bluedot

Quote Originally Posted by aksinglespeeder View Post
    My wife and I drug the chariot around on our snowshoes and the trails are getting better. Blue dot had little to no bike traffic as of 5pm Monday. It is setting up and should be ready to go! I plan on making some fat tracks tonight!
    Singlespeeder, I glad the chariot days are behind me. Glad your out there though. Did you go out last night? I'm headed that way this afternoon(Bluedot) after work on my way home.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Yep, that was last night. There was a fair amount of foot traffic so it should be rideable. It should definitely be better than my ride on Sunday at Kincaid--lots of pushing practice though!

mtbr member
    Russian Jack, APU, University area all groomed, still was soft this morning but still easy rolling for fat tires. I snow shoed in some single tracks around university lake for 2 hours yesterday. Should be hardened up and ready to ride after work today!

mtbr member
    nevermind, the single tracks are soft! barely rideable, I guess one night wasn't enough for them to set up hard in this warmer weather! So far we've gotten away with walking back and forth with snowshoes and then letting it sit overnight and then it's hard and ready to ride the next day, didn't work this time. Maybe dragging a sled with weight over it will work better? Anyone else making their own single tracks anywhere?
    Last edited by alaskairhog; 01-11-2012 at 12:50 PM.

May 2009

Blown Up!

nevermind, the single tracks are soft! barely rideable, I guess one night wasn't enough for them to set up hard in this warmer weather!
    Yeah, I bailed yest afternoon, Rode up Elmore instead. Service HS was a wild seen yest around 4:15pm I saw at least 20 Nordic skiers get taken out by the wind. Right of the skis. I had to walk from there up Birch...... I had 4-6 of blown in snow all round the house... Looks like alot more is coming too! Might not be riding for a while if this keeps up. Skiing/ snowshoeing should be great though.......

mtbr member
    This morning they already had the groomers out at russian jack! It was hard pack with a couple inches of powder on top on the other trails. easy rolling to work, going home will be another story if we get another 5-10 inches today! Might ski home if I have to!

is buachail foighneach me
    nevermind, the single tracks are soft! barely rideable, I guess one night wasn't enough for them to set up hard in this warmer weather! So far we've gotten away with walking back and forth with snowshoes and then letting it sit overnight and then it's hard and ready to ride the next day, didn't work this time. Maybe dragging a sled with weight over it will work better? Anyone else making their own single tracks anywhere?
    I made one over the past week off of the Chester Creek trail. Skied it several times to open it up, let it sit overnight, and found out that skis pack down some of the trail, but leave pocets of unconsolidated powder. Snoeshows seemed to do the same. I had to spend some time on foot finding all the holes and filling them in/stomping them in order to get it solid. I'm beginning to think boot packing first, then snowshoeing/skiing might be the best way to get a firm base going fast in deep, untracked snow. Boot packing will break it down as much as it's going to get broken down, then snowshoes or skis will smooth it out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    This morning they already had the groomers out at russian jack! It was hard pack with a couple inches of powder on top on the other trails. easy rolling to work, going home will be another story if we get another 5-10 inches today! Might ski home if I have to!
    Sorry for getting off topic a bit, but....

Isn't this a great city/state we live in, where riding your bike to work in the morning and potentially skiing home is a reasonable and available means of transportation? It's days like today that make you really see how good we have it up here.

mtbr member
    I toughed it out and biked home, didn't get as much snow as I thought we would by the time we got off. Russian Jack was groomed and now has fresh powder on top, the sidewalks are awefull though! Barely rideable to not at all along part of boniface. I'm skiing to work tomorrow for sure with my fat skis!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Sorry for getting off topic a bit, but....

Isn't this a great city/state we live in, where riding your bike to work in the morning and potentially skiing home is a reasonable and available means of transportation? It's days like today that make you really see how good we have it up here.
    Yes it is! Amen to that!

No, that's not phonetic
    The American River valley down here on Kodiak has nice crust right now. You can ride for miles and miles up the riverbed.

Headed home:

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    May 2007

kincaid

Rode there this evening from the corner of Kincaid road. The two smaller loops are excelent, the bigger loop that goes out towrds the chalet is still a litle soft but no too bad.

May 2009
    Anybody up Riding Prospect hts this past weekend? Wolverine Bowl? STA? Just curious. It's looking a wee bit warmer up there this afternoon..... Thanks.......

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBlinky View Post
    Anybody up Riding Prospect hts this past weekend? Wolverine Bowl? STA? Just curious. It's looking a wee bit warmer up there this afternoon..... Thanks.......
    I was there yesterday. There has been a lot of drifting so the ride up the Near Point(Wolverine Bowl) trail is challanging but doable. We also did South Rim which had many drifts as well but was ridable for the most part.

I rode out of Glen Alps today. The snowmachines have been busy and there is a lot of area that is normally not ridable that is quite good right now. Don't believe the NOAA temperature though. I was expecting 10 today and it was for sure a ways below zero.
    Latitude 61

May 2009

Drifter!

Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    I was there yesterday. There has been a lot of drifting so the ride up the Near Point(Wolverine Bowl) trail is challanging but doable. We also did South Rim which had many drifts as well but was ridable for the most part.

I rode out of Glen Alps today. The snowmachines have been busy and there is a lot of area that is normally not ridable that is quite good right now. Don't believe the NOAA temperature though. I was expecting 10 today and it was for sure a ways below zero.
    Thanks SryA! Drift on brutha! I figured with the breeze it wasn't that warm just hoping. gettn some after work.... I was curious if folks had been up there recently?...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Rode Russian Jack and Chaney Lake last night, trails were in pretty good condition. Best I've seen them this year!

mtbr member
    Goes without even saying, SNOW! Anyone else commute to work on a bike yesturday? It was a long push home most of the way home last night!
    Post up some updates when you start seeing things get packed down or groomed!

We want... a shrubbery!
    I definitely did the commute, but thought I was safe by getting off early at lunch. NOT early enough! I think if I would've had a stoutier rear tire (Nate, maybe a Husker Du), I think I would have been able to deal with the Larry up front washing out; I just couldn't maintain traction.

But would I do it again? Yea, probably so!
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Took the Jr. Nordic kids out to help break trail around Hillside. Hit the north portion of Speedway, accessing from the trail that comes off the very top of the Tour trail. Tried part of the "new" connector to Black Bear, but turned back once I found myself in hip deep powder. Also hit Moose Meadow and Black Bear. Still going to be pretty soft, but at least the first round of trail breaking is done for some sections.

I think some of us are going to try to snowshoe the A.S.S. course tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Did a round trip snowshoe on speedway. It was still pretty soft even on the base. Colder tonight, it should be better tomorrow.

mtbr member
    thanks for getting out there guys, let get this stuff packed down!

mtbr member
    south russian jack to university has been groomed but it's all sloppy and soft still. Was tranching in a little still even with the tire pressure down. It sure is warm out there!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Went out today, Here is what I found. I started at the Elmore ballfields. Tried to ride the Ballfield Boogie trails starting at the entrance at the bottom of the hill below the Pavilion. No go for me, still needs some packing. Went out to Birch Meadows it was soft but ridable, then out to Blue Dot. It was trickey but almost all ridable a bit tough on the section just south of the creek. I made a very nice "Bike Angel". Tour trail to Tudor A Ok. Back to Blue Dot, better second time around. Paralleled the road towards the Science Center, tried Salmon Run, no go needs more packing. Then out to Rovers, very ridable but bumpy, same for Moose Meadows. Speedway was tough but I met three bikers at the bottom ogf the hill coming off the swamp. I suspect after they went through it will be fine.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    I biked the ASS #4 race course today. It was soft and hike a bike in a few sections. I got off my bike in one spot going up hill on the gas line trail and post holed over my knee a couple times! The rest of it is bumpy soft an sloppy but not too bad at all.

May 2009

Thanks!

Went out today, Here is what I found. I started at the Elmore ballfields. Tried to ride the Ballfield Boogie trails starting at the entrance at the bottom of the hill below the Pavilion. No go for me, still needs some packing. Went out to Birch Meadows it was soft but ridable, then out to Blue Dot. It was trickey but almost all ridable a bit tough on the section just south of the creek. I made a very nice "Bike Angel". Tour trail to Tudor A Ok. Back to Blue Dot, better second time around. Paralleled the road towards the Science Center, tried Salmon Run, no go needs more packing. Then out to Rovers, very ridable but bumpy, same for Moose Meadows. Speedway was tough but I met three bikers at the bottom ogf the hill coming off the swamp. I suspect after they went through it will be fine.
    Thanks for the update... I'll be checking out your hard work this afternoon on my way home from work...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Rode the coastal trail today. It's soft but rideable all the way but around point Woronzof where the trail get more sun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Rode today at 4 (tues 2/7) - ball field single track excellent to above Speedway (narrow, but firm), Speedway is fine, totally rideable but ya gotta be on it - soft sides and narrow tread. Moose Meadow was freshly groomed and soft - we started up at the bottom of Speedway and turned back. The tour trail / moose ridge / horse trail were all great. But keep your focus, a little dab will do ya right up to your crotch . . . a glorious day to be out.

mtbr member
    May 2007

trail report

Rode Blue dot on monday which was pretty loose still but saw a few other riders out there so it should be getting better. Speedway and Boogie trails were more packed and pretty good.

Havent been to Kincade yet.

Going out tonite and will post up about conditions.

Bicycle Obsessed
    Quote Originally Posted by forrestvt View Post
    Rode Blue dot on monday which was pretty loose still but saw a few other riders out there so it should be getting better. Speedway and Boogie trails were more packed and pretty good.

Havent been to Kincade yet.

Going out tonite and will post up about conditions.
    I know where Speedway and Ballfield Boogie trails are, but where is Blue Dot.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Black Forest, Baseball Boogie, MicroDot, Speedway, Moose Mesdow, View Point, Salmon Run, Tour/Ol Rondy, BlueDot, Lynx, Lore, and Birch Meadow are all rideable. Some skinnier than others, couple Singletrack snow angles made but otherwise a great night of riding!!!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'll second what JP posted, trails were all rideable, little bumpy and narrow in places but overall not too shabby. The sleet that was falling should help pack things down further. Snow is getting so deep that the tree branches are becoming a problem in places for vision for us tall folks, especially night riding, Hillside and Kincade both.

Blue Dot is about 150 yards up the trail from the Smoke Jumper trailhead on the left heading towards the scinec center. The trails connects over to the tour trail.

May 2009

Bluedot

Quote Originally Posted by WildBillinAK View Post
    I know where Speedway and Ballfield Boogie trails are, but where is Blue Dot.
    Bluedot, starts right off the Moose track trail Heading north, crosses the creek, ends @ the lower part of the Tour of Anch. Maybe . .5-.75 miles south of the Tudor bridge. Start @ the parking area near the science center right off of Elmore. Ride about 300 yrds and make an obviuos Left from the Moose track trail. Look for Endomorphic tread.......

If anyone is commuting today from the hillside. Through on your studs. It's a little slippery out there now........

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Bluedot, starts right off the Moose track trail Heading north, crosses the creek, ends @ the lower part of the Tour of Anch. Maybe . .5-.75 miles south of the Tudor bridge. Start @ the parking area near the science center right off of Elmore. Ride about 300 yrds and make an obviuos Left from the Moose track trail. Look for Endomorphic tread.......

If anyone is commuting today from the hillside. Through on your studs. It's a little slippery out there now........
    And if you aren't sure if you are on the correct trail, just look for the blue dots on the trees (hence the name "Blue Dot").

Bicycle Obsessed
    Thanks all for letting me know where Blue Dot is. I have seen the cutoff for it on the tour trail. Next time I will ride down it and check it out.

mtbr member
    Moose Ridge- pretty technical, looks wider than it is, soft sides and some ruts to throw you around, but pretty fun.

Rover's Run- Fast, Wide and packed solid

Streets and Parking Lots- some treacherous ice, watch yourself

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Kincaid STAs. Inner loop Kitchen sink are really good. Raspberry to AWWU-Tang is ride able but soft. Stadium to Flowmax & Sugar lumps is pushing your bike soft.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kincaider View Post
    Kincaid STAs. Inner loop Kitchen sink are really good. Raspberry to AWWU-Tang is ride able but soft. Stadium to Flowmax & Sugar lumps is pushing your bike soft.
    Am I the only one that doesn't know any of the Kincaid STA trail names?

I only know of the toilet bowl. That's it.

We want... a shrubbery!
    I'm with you. Don't know the names, just remember the trail by the number of bike angels I put on them when I rode out there!
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Kincaid is back. For everyone waiting till it is 100% ride able the time has arrived. Thanks to some adventurous Skiers, Runners, and Fat tire bikers yesterday the trails from the inner loop to the stadium are reestablished. The 40 F temps finally consolidated the 3 or 4 inches of sugar.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Kudos fellow rubba draggas, hard work is paying big dividends at Kincaid.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just got back from Kincaid. They didn't get much snow last night so the trails are very ridable. Have fun out there and thanks to the "Tire Draggers".
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Rode a loop yesturday at Kincaid after work. It was marginal, maybe I hit the wrong sections but much of my ride still had new snow. I could of sworn I heard the tire draggers were out there after that last snow fall. At least there was a good base, but my front larry kept washing out while trying to climb. Was still lots of fun. Are there trail names out there? Here's the loop I rode:
    <iframe width='465' height='548' frameborder='0' src='http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/154140053'></iframe>

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Anyone going to be out fatbiking in Willow area this weekend? I will be around Willow (crystal lake area) with my bike and would be up for a ride Saturday before the Iditarod kicks off Sunday. Lots of fresh snow in the area but I am hopefull that the Willow trails will be fairly well packed from snowmachine traffic and grooming due to the Iditarod re-start.

mtbr member
    Rode a loop yesturday at Kincaid after work. It was marginal, maybe I hit the wrong sections but much of my ride still had new snow. I could of sworn I heard the tire draggers were out there after that last snow fall. At least there was a good base, but my front larry kept washing out while trying to climb. Was still lots of fun. Are there trail names out there? Here's the loop I rode:
    <iframe width='465' height='548' frameborder='0' src='http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/154140053'></iframe>
    tire dragging happened monday and tuesday, only on the trails east of four corners. then it snowed again. also someone pushed a chariot that was wider than the tires. the chariot "cut " snow from the edges of the trail and it fell into the center of the packed section. this is the beauty of "multi use trail". it could not have been easy pushing that chariot all over the park.
    litespeed's break

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayJay View Post
    Anyone going to be out fatbiking in Willow area this weekend? I will be around Willow (crystal lake area) with my bike and would be up for a ride Saturday before the Iditarod kicks off Sunday. Lots of fresh snow in the area but I am hopefull that the Willow trails will be fairly well packed from snowmachine traffic and grooming due to the Iditarod re-start.
    Sorry, i'll be out Sunday afternoon riding to where our big group will be watching the restart on one of the lakes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    What is the Kincaid STA grooming hotline number? ...it would be nice to know when and which trails are dragged so I can get MY ride on.....

mtbr member
    speedway, rovers, baseball boogie are ridable. brown bear and the revenge trail are officially destroyed.
    litespeed's break

We want... a shrubbery!
    Fitting name for the one portion that kicked my a$$! I think I ended up working harder to pedal the 6 miles home after the plows started attacking Dimond!
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Alaska Turner Mafia

Bluebird Day

I saw the sun break out today and it tempted me to get in a casual ride to see how I felt, as I'm just getting over a flu. It's been so cloudy and snowy lately that seeing some blue sky did a lot to improve my attitude. And since the conditions were prime for some photography I thought I'd pack along a camera in case I ran into any other riders.

The usual suspects of commonly used hillside trails are in pretty decent shape despite the fresh snow lately. A few singletracks will test ya to stay centered on a thin ribbon of hardpack though. There must have been a bunch of other riders today conceding to the same temptation cuz there's tracks a plenty. Did a loop of B-Ball Boogie, Speedway, up Rover's and across to Moose Ridge Loop, Dismal Swamp, Blue Dot, Moose Track, and Birch Meadow. Still many that aren't rideable yet but plenty of choices too.

I did get a chance to break out the camera after all. Here's Alan and GF all smiles. It was just that kind of day. If your tracks were out there, thanks for gettin' out.

Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

May 2009
    Endo! whats up? Glad you found Alan... He was ripping it up at Alpenglow yesterday... I was chasing kids at Hilltop today... Also I was doing some routine bike maint.. Discovered that my front CK hub spoke flange was cracked off! **&^&*%$ yeah not happy!! So no riding today or for a while...Glad you are feeling better.. Great pics....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Kincaid STA trails?

Any word on what shape the Kincaid STA trails are in now (3/6)? thx.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroganof View Post
    Any word on what shape the Kincaid STA trails are in now (3/6)? thx.
    stuff on the jodphur side is ridable. if you venture towards the chalet there will most likely be walking involved
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Kincaid STA hotline reports excellent riding conditions and all trails groomed corduroy. ...." wait long enough and someone else will pack em for ya"

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Speedway

Played hooky, totally worthy. Photo is from upper portion of Speedway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail Report-speedway-march-8-12.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Yesterday was a great day to ride! It's nice riding in sunlight again!

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Bomber trails last night on the lower hillside. Cant wait to hit them with some sunlight.

Alaska Turner Mafia

Ultimate spring riding conditions are fast approaching

It was another one of those days with plenty of light and moderate temps. Did a loop that included climbing up the STA trails to Prospect, continued up toward Near Pt, and down Wolverine Bowl. Here's a couple of shots taken from Wolverine Bowl trail, which is in super shape. Rode it to the turn on the right (to the west) that takes you to the ridge north of the creek and on down to Basher, also in great shape. It's only going to get better.....get some!

url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/endorando/6991800099/][/url]

May 2009
    Awesome day! Even better company... Going to hit that up again today...

mtbr member
    What are some good trails to ride?( I just recently got me a fatty and have been ridding the Vally). Time for a change in scenery... Any advice? Thanks...

I ask because I don't want to roll on any ski trails and piss any skiers off...
    Last edited by FarNRTHFatty; 03-18-2012 at 11:56 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What are some good trails to ride?( I just recently got me a fatty and have been ridding the Vally). Time for a change in scenery... Any advice? Thanks...

I ask because I don't want to roll on any ski trails and piss any skiers off...
    I rode in Willow this weekend, hundreds of miles of snowmachine packed trails to explore among there. Willow area trails are in excellent shape, warmer sunny days and cold nights are hardening the deep snowpack into a nice and hard trail surface.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The Kincaid STAs are riding the best they have been all year. Add in sunlight till 9pm some of the best riding in town. Also the buff is riding really good all the way from motor cross to the end of L train. Great views.

mtbr member
    Where is "L train"?

mtbr member
    Lots of fun along the hillside and far north bicentenial park.

May 2009
    Repeated the same Route yest. Even better than Saturday. Particularly going up the Jive. Rode all the way up it to the gas line just below Prospect w/o walking this time. Going down below Basher along the powerline was much better as well. Wolverine bowl was awesome again....... Only going to improve each day w/o precip....

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info on Kincaid!

Trails are packed and fast! I'm not sure which loops I roll'd on but them $hits are good( gps said 9'n change)...so, a BIG thanks to whomever has been grooming them that's for sure.

Alaska Turner Mafia

Had a fabulous after work ride!

OMG the conditions are good! I think the combination of more traffic with no fresh snow, plus daytime temps moistening the snow and then freezing it hard at night, are combining to equal bomber conditions. And with the additional daylight hours it's easy now to get in a couple hours saddle time without lights.

Did a loop today that included Moose Ridge, Cuniform A, Brown Bear, and Paper Plate. All buff. Had the most fun on Paper Plate -- completely cleanable, with a healthy dose of techy spots to test ya. Great conditions, great company.

The next couple of days are supposed to be more of the same. Don't miss out!

No, that's not phonetic
    We have good snow too, but it's been going to other uses.

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=EndoRando;9121142]OMG the conditions are good! I think the combination of more traffic with no fresh snow, plus daytime temps moistening the snow and then freezing it hard at night, are combining to equal bomber conditions. And with the additional daylight hours it's easy now to get in a couple hours saddle time without lights.

Did a loop today that included Moose Ridge, Cuniform A, Brown Bear, and Paper Plate. All buff. Had the most fun on Paper Plate -- completely cleanable, with a healthy dose of techy spots to test ya. Great conditions, great company.

Where are the trails located?

Alaska Turner Mafia

Superb riding at Kincaid!

Where are the trails located?
    Those are all lower hillside trails. Some are in the area to the north of N.Bivouac parking lot, others south of Campbell Creek. They're pretty well defined now that they've been getting more traffic. Remember, exploring can be half the fun!

I got out today and rode with SuperBlinky at Kincaid. I don't seem to get out there as it's not as convenient for me as the hillside is. But wanting to mix it up a bit, we drove over to check out the condition of the STA Trails. All is can say is.....WOW! The tire draggers have done one helluva job keeping them rideable, everything is firm and in great shape. Way to go those of you giving it the maintenance effort.

We made our way over to check the Ridge Trail out of curiosity, I've never seen it so good. Then hit what you could call a grand tour of all the singletracks. Great stuff. As much as I want to break the snowfall record, I almost hate to see us get more snow out there and diminish the permagrins those trails induced.

Other riders today - zero, moose - one. Here's a shot of SB overlooking Turnagain Arm, just before we lost our sun.

Bikes are good

Nice

That just motivated me to go hiking tomorrow.

May 2009

Yes Kincaid!

Quote Originally Posted by EndoRando View Post
    Those are all lower hillside trails. Some are in the area to the north of N.Bivouac parking lot, others south of Campbell Creek. They're pretty well defined now that they've been getting more traffic. Remember, exploring can be half the fun!

I got out today and rode with SuperBlinky at Kincaid. I don't seem to get out there as it's not as convenient for me as the hillside is. But wanting to mix it up a bit, we drove over to check out the condition of the STA Trails. All is can say is.....WOW! The tire draggers have done one helluva job keeping them rideable, everything is firm and in great shape. Way to go those of you giving it the maintenance effort.

We made our way over to check the Ridge Trail out of curiosity, I've never seen it so good. Then hit what you could call a grand tour of all the singletracks. Great stuff. As much as I want to break the snowfall record, I almost hate to see us get more snow out there and diminish the permagrins those trails induced.

Other riders today - zero, moose - one. Here's a shot of SB overlooking Turnagain Arm, just before we lost our sun.

Excellent riding today!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info...and exploring is BA! My questions are more geard to keeping the peace with the skiers...personally, I'll roll wherever, but I just want to pay respects. Being new to the fat bike I'm clueless as to where the trail heads are, honestly that's all I really need to know, from there, game on! Let the exploring begin
    Last edited by FarNRTHFatty; 03-23-2012 at 11:30 PM.

Alaska Turner Mafia

Let's hope these conditions continue...

Another gorgeous day! Sitting around watching college hoops today had me twitching to get out afterwards. So glad I did, it was fabulous to be out.

Trails I rode that were in fantastic shape: A figure 8 in the BBall Boogie area, Microdot, Connector to Speedway, Speedway, across to Moose Ridge, Cuniform A, Supa Dave's, Brown Bear, and Paper Plate. Ran into Ray and Deb on Paper Plate, here's Debbie in action. She had that trail mastered!

We want... a shrubbery!
    For those commuters, the Chester Creek & Coastal trail are in pretty good shape, the softest spot I found was on the Chester Creek between A & C Streets. C St. bike trails are getting pretty dicey, rode home this evening and encounterd a lot of water & broke through a lot of places; hopefully my ruts don't upend anyone tomorrow morning. Studs are definitely needed!
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

beer is good
    Good to see some EndoRando pics!

The riding looks great...March always was the best for snow rides.

Have you been able to get up to Glen Alps?
    Steve
    "looking California, feeling Minnesota"

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by Nels View Post

The riding looks great...March always was the best for snow rides.

Have you been able to get up to Glen Alps?
    Hey Nels, wish you were here to enjoy some of this! Hitting 40's now, but there's so much snow it'll probably take forever to disappear. Until then, we'll keep rollin' and enjoyin'. Is there a chance you can layover a couple days while we have these conditions and get in some fatbiking?

Been up the STA trails and up to Prospect, but from there veering over toward Near Point and Wolverine Bowl area. Maybe Stroganoff will chime in with conditions around Glen Alps as its his neck of the woods.

Here's a couple for Supa Dave from old friends that say hello. We all miss you two.

Moose Ridge Loop is fast and smoove....

Rose and Wayne enjoying a delicious ride!

Last edited by EndoRando; 03-28-2012 at 09:53 PM.

May 2009

Nels

Quote Originally Posted by EndoRando View Post
    Hey Nels, wish you were here to enjoy some of this! Hitting 40's now, but there's so much snow it'll probably take forever to disappear. Until then, we'll keep rollin' and enjoyin'. Is there a chance you can layover a couple days while we have these conditions and get in some fatbiking?

Been up the STA trails and up to Prospect, but from there veering over toward Near Point and Wolverine Bowl area. Maybe Stroganoff will chime in with conditions around Glen Alps as its his neck of the woods.

Here's a couple for Supa Dave from old friends that say hello. We all miss you two.

Moose Ridge Loop is fast and smoove....

Rose and Wayne enjoying a delicious ride!

Is Nels coming to Utah in the Fall?.. Glen Alps..... The riding is great everywhere in the city. All the trails up there are riding sweet. Even the ones your not supposed to ride. Thank god for the permit I burned along with my bra!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I walked out a ways on Gold Mint Trail in Hatcher Pass yesterday. The trail has become a bit punchy with the melt. It was rideable on a normal mountain bike a couple of weeks ago. Now I think it is fatbike territory only. And you may still have a tire swallowed by the snow now and again.

If you are looking for a road ride, though, it looked to be clean and clear all the way up to the pass. I didn't drive up any farther than the Motherlode Lodge, but looking up the road from the Gold Mint parking lot it appeared to remain clear as far as I could see. That road usually suffers from more slush and ice patches this time of year. Whoever plowed this year did a much better job than normal. I plan to get the road bike out this weekend and go take a spin up there.

Bikes are good
    Whoa. Already. I guess so. Damn road bike season. I hate that thing.

Alaska Turner Mafia

Not so fast lawyer man!

Quote Originally Posted by ConfederateLawyer View Post
    I plan to get the road bike out this weekend and go take a spin..... .
    There's still plenty of good stuff around to ride, but don't hesitate. In the shaded wooded areas conditions are holding up well. Trails in direct sunlight are getting a bit soft on that top layer, enough so that some of the shorter steep inclines have my Endomorph tire spinning out under torque.

Been seeing lots of Nate tracks out there lately. That may be just the ticket right now. Anyone using one as a rear tire care to comment? Is that you out there OnePaw making all those tracks?

Here's Cayenne zipping down Microdot, making her way to BBall Boogie.

And Mark hot on her heels.

mtbr member
    I was on the Kincaid STA's today for about three hours today...I concur, getting soft on all the exposed areas, woods were great ( firm and fast) not sure which trail(s) but two moose have posthole'd the $hit out of it. Saw many spots where someone's front tire dropped off-trail and left the the body print..

Running the the Larry/Endo combination. I was able to make up most of the hills, but when traction broke, I was done for...I'm going to try the Larry/Nate or seek higher elevations...Or both

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I was over at North Bivy tonight. I got just a little off the trail on gasline and the front came to a stop. Threw me right over the bars! LOL

mtbr member
    Nate are working great for me still. Of course they don't do any good when punching through on the sides of trails. The trails are softening up a university lake and russian jack in the afternoons.
    I actually put my rear fender back on for my rides home from work!

mtbr member
    Anyone been out?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I rode Monday and it was difficult/challenging at best. Blue Dot was rideable, but soft and narrow in places. Ballfield Boogy was almost unrideable and required some pushing where some one treched it up on a skinny bike. Speed Way was rideable, but soft on the edges and postholed in spots. Moose Meadow and Rover's were good, but soft and a little slippery. My fat bike is on vacation until the fall...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Rode Kincaid last night, but only did the small Jodpher loop which wasnt too bad, the bluff and other bigger loops out toward the chalet were much softer as they were not as well traveled so take alot of patience and persistence to ride. If it dips below freezing at night morning rides would be good still.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by The Real Snowdog View Post
    I rode Monday and it was difficult/challenging at best. Blue Dot was rideable, but soft and narrow in places. Ballfield Boogy was almost unrideable and required some pushing where some one treched it up on a skinny bike. Speed Way was rideable, but soft on the edges and postholed in spots. Moose Meadow and Rover's were good, but soft and a little slippery. My fat bike is on vacation until the fall...
    I rode all of the above yesterday morning and they were all bomber if a bit narrow and rough in spots from where people had tried to ride when it was soft. Even paper plate was good.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I rode Monday and Tuesday on snowshoe trails at 2000' elevation above Eagle River. Trails were in best conditions I have seen all winter, I was able to ride much further out on narrow/steep trails than I had been able all winter previously. Combination of snowshoe tracks on soft snow during warm daytime and then freezing hard at night made the trails very solid. THe off-trail conditions were close to being ready for crust-biking but not quite yet. There is still a lot of snowpack surviving up at higher elevations and cold nightime temperatures. Should be nicely rideable over next few weeks at high altitude after this current wet&warm system moves through.

Alaska Turner Mafia

Break out the Gore-Tex!

I got out with SuperBlinky this morning to give the trails a test. We started out making our way to Hilltop ski area in downcoming snow mixed with rain. As we progressed to Moose Ridge Loop that mix turned to a constant drizzle. Couldn't keep glasses dry despite tipping my helmet visor down, so eventually did without them.

Trail conditions were surprisingly good though. We initially thought our ride would be short-lived, but turned into two hours of fun saddle time. Moose Ridge Loop, Salmon Run, Blue Dot, Lynx, Birch Meadow, Baseball Boogie, all pretty firm yet, even though it didn't freeze last night. But it didn't take long and we were soaked from the drizzle. Never got cold, but may think twice about the transition to more appropriate riding gear from now on if these conditions persist.

Here' SB crossing the Blue Dot bridge, the entire thing was easily rideable still. Really had no trouble anywhere we went. Let's keep our fingers crossed we get some more overnight freezes so morning rides last.

Alaska Turner Mafia

Marginal Conditions...

Today was the first outing I've had on the local hillside trails where I truly felt conditions were turning marginal and deteriorating. It was one of those days that felt like you better bring your Jedi A Game because the trails are really soft, and you're constantly riding that narrow balance beam of a track that's still firm, requiring all your concentration.

Three of us made our way from Service up to the STA trails this morning, and that did turn out to be short lived. The bonus though was that the drizzle down in the flats turned to big wet flakes as you climbed, improving the atmosphere immensely. Those heavy flakes coming down tend to muffle all sound except for the squeaking snow under fat tires, trail music. We made second tracks climbing up Queen Bee until rear tires started losing traction. STA opportunities may be wrapping up now for snow biking unless there's drastic temp changes.

Here's SB and AKtay49 making their way down the Queen Bee on the return.

From there the riding over to N. Bivouac, up the Gas Line, and down the Powerline to the Tank Trail were also becoming a challenge. There's still a few snow bridges there to keep you out of the creek though.

Moose Ridge will keep you on your toes as well. The absolute best riding trails today in that area that were still a blast were Blue Dot and Baseball Boogie. My attitude immediately skyrocketed once we turned onto those as you could really carve them with some momentum.

I think it may be the final countdown.....

Bikes are good

Yep. It's over I'm afraid.

I can barely walk on the trails that used to be bomb proof behind my house. Time to dust off the wussy road bike and start getting exercise on it I suppose. Next weekend might be a good day to do the Palmer brevet course if anyone is interested. 130 miles altogether, relatively flat, good roads, as I type this I'm realizing how much I'm going to miss the endless miles of great white singletrack. F

Wood chips are stupid

not that bad yet

The main trails down low are still pretty good. Speedway,trails from the ballpark parking lot,Blue Dot were really good and of course Rovers was firm. Also Lore Trail, Moose Ridge and Salmon Run were good. We heard Brown Bear was iffy and "Paperplate" was a no go.

akdeluxe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail Report-vlcsnap-2012-02-06-05h51m06s172.png  

"Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by akdeluxe View Post
    The main trails down low are still pretty good. Speedway,trails from the ballpark parking lot,Blue Dot were really good and of course Rovers was firm. Also Lore Trail, Moose Ridge and Salmon Run were good. We heard Brown Bear was iffy and "Paperplate" was a no go.

akdeluxe
    Should be good this morning...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Even Brown Bear and Paper Plate were A OK this morning. As long as it gets cold during the evenings and people stay off the trails in the afternoon we should be good for a while longer.
    Attached picture is north end of Blue Dot about 11:30 am today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trail Report-p1020472-1-.jpg  

Last edited by sryanak; 04-08-2012 at 02:25 PM.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The trails at Kincaid were pretty awesome this morning. We started our ride at 10am and finished around 12:30. At the end of the ride there were some slushy spots, but they were easy enough to go through. A moose post holed the crap out of one of the trails which made it pretty rough riding. The trails near the lots away from the chalet were packed out. After a certain point only one rider had been on the trails before us. I think we packed them out enough to attract more riders. So, if you can go check them out before it warms up much more.

I would recommend riding Kincaid early tomorrow morning. It should be pretty good riding.

I road Brown bear and Paper plate yesterday. Brown Bear was decent enough, but I would avoid Paper Plate. Got a few new bruises from wiping out and finding hard object under the snow.

May 2009

Trail resurrection

Even Brown Bear and Paper Plate were A OK this morning. As long as it gets cold during the evenings and people stay off the trails in the afternoon we should be good for a while longer.
    Attached picture is north end of Blue Dot about 11:30 am today.
    I must have just followed you. Paper plate was very ridable....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    I Next weekend might be a good day to do the Palmer brevet course if anyone is interested. 130 miles altogether, relatively flat, good roads,
    In addition to the Palmer brevet on the 28th, there is a Talkeetna-Houston-Talkeetna ride (100k or 200k) on the 21st. I got a new road bike, so I'm kind of happy about the roads clearing up. But I know it's a sad time for you fatbike fellas, so I won't get too cheery.

mtbr member
    I've started crust biking the last couple days! It's awesome! I most fun I've had on my snow bike since the A.S.S. races! The mornings have allowed me to ride ANYWHERE I want through the woods at University and Russian Jack. I was climbing up super steep hills through the trees and coming back down, even doing wheelies on the crust without breaking through! It's a blast and a nice break from the rutted up bumpy trails! Not sure how long into the day the crust will hold but as long as it gets cold enough overnight the mornings are going to be so much fun!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Any place still ridable? Looks like its getting too warm to freeze up overnight now in the Anchorage area, everything is looking pretty soupy. End of the line for snow biking?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by beninak View Post
    Any place still ridable? Looks like its getting too warm to freeze up overnight now in the Anchorage area, everything is looking pretty soupy. End of the line for snow biking?
    It froze here in Anchorage the last two nights, last night being the coldest. Report yesterday was that it was plenty hard at Kincaid in the morning, but very rough from moose prints to the point that they stopped after the first 5 minutes or so.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Open swamp areas in far north bicentenial were rideable until about 10 this morning.

May 2009

Snow melt report

Quote Originally Posted by beninak View Post
    I have personally given up Fat riding for now. I've been hittin up the roads around the hillside. Does anyone know if the Muni is going to blade off the coastal trail and chester creek trail? I took a peak at the campbell creek tail yest. has a ways to go in spots. Anyone ride the bike path out to Kincaid chalet? Just curious...

We want... a shrubbery!
    The Muni started blading the Cambell Creek & Chester Creek trail throughout this last week (I'm not sure how far they went though). It wasn't until the end of this last week that the snow really softened up (before they would blade and only get a few inches off).
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Elitest thrill junkie
    I have personally given up Fat riding for now. I've been hittin up the roads around the hillside. Does anyone know if the Muni is going to blade off the coastal trail and chester creek trail? I took a peak at the campbell creek tail yest. has a ways to go in spots. Anyone ride the bike path out to Kincaid chalet? Just curious...
    I was out on the paved coastal trail day before yesterday and there were blade machines running through and taking off some stuff. You could get by with normal tires, but I saw one fat-tire guy riding by.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I finally gave up last week. My commute to work was getting pretty slushy and frustrating through the russian jack and university areas. I put road tires on my mountain bike until all the snow is gone then I'll put my knobbies back on!

mtbr member

powerline

has anyone been on powerline in the past week?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Went out to portage this morning, biked from about 7:45 to 10:45 am. Riding conditions were amazing the entire time, but could definately start to feel it softening up around 10 on E facing aspects. Rode to the glacier, then up the pass over to Whittier.

Should get cold again tonight and tomorrow night, so riding is supposed to be really good Weds and Thurs mornings.

Anchorage, AK
    Anyone been on the trail to Trail along the Glen to Eagle river? Still ice covered?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Anyone been on the trail to Trail along the Glen to Eagle river? Still ice covered?
    The further stretches (meaning out towards Birchwood) are very clear. I'm not sure how things are closer to town.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Totally clear from what I could see. Been seeing lots of people out riding the trail from Bartlett to Eagle River on road/TT bikes for a good couple of weeks.

AKTed
    Sep 2004
    It's all clear, even been swept. The Boniface and Muldoon tunnels are also clear enough to ride through, and will be completely clear of ice in a few more days.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Any idea when the hillside or kincaid trails will be clear and dry? I'm guessing a month or so but if this weather holds it might be sooner huh.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Based on how things are going and how the ground is just about thawed under the snow, I would think it might actually be dried out earlier than usual. There is a good chance at least some of those trails may be good a good week or maybe two before June. Some low, more shaded areas may take a bit longer, but I think things are going to drain pretty well this spring if we can just get rid of the snow on the surface.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Glenn Alps was great this morning for the fat bike. Started riding at about 7:30am and rode until about 9:15am. Despite the thermometer in my car reading 42 when I got there, things were all pretty much rock hard all the way out. Spent most of the ride on the east side of the valley playing in the trees and sidehills up there and then came back closer to the valley floor in the sun. The last slope getting back to the access trail was just starting to develope a slushy surface, but was still plenty hard underneath. Just hard to get traction on the surface when going up any slope.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Crust riding at Glen Alps was a no go this morning. Unfortunately, WAY too soft.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SnoBikesRfun View Post
    Crust riding at Glen Alps was a no go this morning. Unfortunately, WAY too soft.
    Try mornings after a clear night sky , much more likely to get freezing when the sky is clear. Last nite was quite overcast so temperatures didnt go much below 40.