Trail Construction Update- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Trail Construction Update

This is a brief trail project update.

• Jon Underwood, our trail builder, is nearing completion of the machine work on the trail system. Barring any unforeseen glitches, he figures that he will finish by the end of the week! On Monday, September 15th, the Student Conservation Association (SCA) Trail Crew will begin 3 weeks of hand finishing. Their work will continue where the Municipality of Anchorage’s Youth Employment in Parks crew left off. In addition, they will fix some trouble spots that have appeared on the first section of completed trail. Except for the trail that's currently open, the trails under construction REMAIN CLOSED until further notice. There will be some volunteer work parties in the coming weeks, so stay tuned!

• We will celebrate National Public Lands Day on Saturday, September 27th with a work party to install sign posts. STA will provide tools. Work begins at 8:30 a.m. meeting at the Hilltop Chalet. Coffee and pastries are provided. A pizza celebration will follow at the Campbell Creek Science Center (by now most of you know that our projects revolve around food).

• We just received a generous $5,000 grant from REI, Inc! We have been pinching our pennies on this project—thanks go to REI for being such a wonderful community partner.

• It’s time to play, NAME THAT TRAIL! Please email your creative ideas for trail names to me at [email protected]. If you don’t want your trails to be named “The Intermediate Trail” or “The Advanced Trail,” get your submissions in to me ASAP.

STA tuned!

Alaska Turner Mafia
    I got out today to see how the opened section of trail was faring with the recent rains. The lowest sections (easternmost) have a few barely wet and muddy spots. Above Lower Llama is almost all hard-packed clay, drains well, and is in great shape. I get the feeling these are going to hold up really well, thanks to inherent designs.

Here's an example of one of the flowy sections, fun stuff....and notice how dry it appears yet. Hope to see some of you on Nat'l Trails Day!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member

Yee Haw!!!

thanks for the photos, Rando!

Ologist
    I love the new trails but I noticed on most corners as you come out of the turn there is a rock placed there. If you come out of the corner a little too wide you are going to smack a rock and launch. Is there a trail construction reason for the rock placements?

mtbr member
    There's a flat rock on a left turn (downhill direction) on the north intermediate loop that should be moved. We moved it earlier but someone moved it back. Other rocks are just there by happenstance. Some rocks are meant to curb speed.

To everyone: ride safely according to the conditions. With this freeze/thaw the mud is slicker than snot.

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla
    I love the new trails but I noticed on most corners as you come out of the turn there is a rock placed there. If you come out of the corner a little too wide you are going to smack a rock and launch. Is there a trail construction reason for the rock placements?

yeah, and what's with all the trees in the woods?!?! i hit one the other day and it friggen hurt!

Members who have read this thread: 0