Trail Conditions in Anchorage?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Trail Conditions in Anchorage?

Does anyone know if the trails in the Campbell Tract are getting dry enough to ride anytime soon i.e. by the official June 1 "ok" date? Any updates would be appreciated. Thx.
    Last edited by Stroganof; 05-27-2008 at 09:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    all the gravel trails on BLM are dry and can be ridden guilt free; Tour trail north of Middle Fk Campbell Ck still a bit squishy but one can find a dry track to where it turns east/west (after the turnoff trail that leads to the DOT storage site and ultimately the DOT yard on Tudor); that might still be pretty wet. Haven't checked the Tour south of BLM, or other singletrack tho...here's the mantra:

"if it's brown and soft, stay the heck off!" (works good on horse/dog/bear products as well)

mtbr member
    The signs posted earlier in the month said they'd be open for the Memorial Day weekend, so I checked things out today.

The hardened, gravel-capped trails are mostly dry. This would be Moose Track, Salmon Run, Lore Road Trail. The parts of the Tour I was on are mostly dry. Coyote should be fine too.

Rover's & Moose Meadow have some wet & muddy areas that, if we don't get out there and compact the ruts while it's still wet, will really suck this summer.

On the north side of Campbell Airstrip Road there are places where ponds are forming right on the trail. Typical for this time of year. I turned around when I saw that.

That's it for me. Maybe someone's been on Spencer? I didn't go up Black or Brown bear trails. Anybody else been out there?

Alaska Turner Mafia

I just got in from a ride...

...and saw a ton of other bikers in the Campbell Tract area. I hope everyone is using their best judgment and walking at the muddy spots.

I dropped into the black spruces behind the Abbott Loop Community Park little league fields and snaked my way to upper Homestead. Conditions on the rooty singletracks are pretty good with just an occasional mudhole that's easy enough to skirt around after dismounting.

Down Homestead and on to Speedway, and it's pretty good except right after leaving the clearing and in the immediate area of the small flowing creek. There's a couple of muddy spots there too, but all easy enough to walk around. Up Moose Meadows, in good shape right up until it runs into Rovers, but drying up quickly. The lower half of Rovers also needs some drying time.

Lower Black Bear has a nasty wet spot that needs to be avoided. Please don't trench this up, it's bad enough already. It must be six feet wide and thrashed. The rest is drying up quickly also. Brown Bear was in fantastic shape. Christopher cut out some large logs, and it seems prime just as is, thanks for that crsouser.

EndUser told me today that he rode Spencer up to the ski area where you can veer onto Llama, and said Spencer is in good shape too. Lower Llama has a messy area nearer the gasline, upper Llama I'm not sure of. He also said Blue Dot was really good already.

It's getting there folks, but please use some discretion when you approach mud and skirt it. The trails will be all the better for it the rest of the summer. Thanks.

If you don't want to chance doing any damage, stick to Homestead, Coyote, the Tour Trail, Salmon Run, Moose Track, and Lore Trail. They all have enough gravel to help keep them dry. If your preferences are more tight and rooty, Moose Ridge and some of the branching singletracks are pretty good already too. There's some new stuff out there too if you've got a keen eye!
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

May 2007
    The Bog Trail is still a little moist.

May 2004
    Spencer loop is in good shape, except for a short section near the end which is still very mushy and needs to be walked around.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    One addition, reports are good in the Mirkwood forest area north of Basher. Both the Colby Reed trail and the Sith trail in good shape and mostly dry since they follow the higher ridge contours. Get some!

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Those are fun trails....

Quote Originally Posted by EndoRando
    One addition, reports are good in the Mirkwood forest area north of Basher. Both the Colby Reed trail and the Sith trail in good shape and mostly dry since they follow the higher ridge contours. Get some!
    I'm glad to finally see these trails and their proper names entering the local lingo.

Regards,

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich

Ologist
    I know some folks that hit Kincaid yesterday...guilt-free.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Not sure why I seem to be the middleman for trail updates, but pm's are coming in with some more news. Heart-Attack Singletrack is dry and fun as usual, Hardway may be a bit soggy at the bottom, give it a week. Rio's Proliferation Network is dry, as is Supa Dave's and Way Twisty. Glad to hear people are getting out, and thanks for the news. I'll be doing more sampling tonight, especially to check out both Cuneiform trails A and B.
    Last edited by EndoRando; 05-28-2008 at 02:34 PM.

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Good beta....

Quote Originally Posted by EndoRando
    Not sure why I seem to be the middleman for trail updates, but pm's are coming in with some more news. Heart-attack singletrack is dry and fun as usual, Hardway may be a bit soggy at the bottom, give it a week. Rio's proliferation network is dry, as is Supa Dave's and Way Twisty. Glad to hear people are getting out, and thanks for the news. I'll be doing more sampling tonight, especially to check out both Cuneiform trails A and B.
    Good beta.... I'm there. Rendezvous X at 1900.

Regards,

EndUser

We want... a shrubbery!
    Is there a definitive map with these trails located? I mean, I'm just starting to learn the Hillside trails by name (been here for a year) and I don't know what nonsense you fellas & fella-ettes are talking about!
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Thanks

. . . for the updates. Clearly it is time to put the road bike back in the shed and start rolling on the dirt.

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

No...

Quote Originally Posted by ickyickyptngzutboing
    Is there a definitive map with these trails located? I mean, I'm just starting to learn the Hillside trails by name (been here for a year) and I don't know what nonsense you fellas & fella-ettes are talking about!
    No, there is no map. This is about being deep in the Anchorage MT bike sub-culture. These trails are social trails and have no official status... they don't exist for all practical purposes. Stay here long enough and you will learn. It's part of the fun.

Regards,

EndUser

Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla
    I know some folks that hit Kincaid yesterday...guilt-free.
    i rode over there today, right by the motocross track and everything was nice and dry. not sure of the exact names of the trails sorry. made a nice big loop and didnt run into any mud.

Alaska Turner Mafia

Recon ride last nigh with EndUser...

....for additional trail assessments. Our route confirmed summer riding is here!

Baseball Boogie....check, dry and as technical as ever, even the skinnies are above water
    Speedway....check, still a bit of mud, easy enough to skirt, it was good to see some out of town Aussies discovering some of our local stuff
    Black Bear.....check, lower end drying up fast but still worthy of a walkaround, one log that could use a bit of chainsaw trimming
    Brown Bear....check, fantastic shape
    Supa Dave's....check, plenty of drlr catching twigs, one large fallen tree to negotiate
    Cuneiform A....check, just like we left it from last summer, super
    Sith Trail.....check, tons of twigs, also one blowdown to negotiate, didn't realize it's truly about a mile long, we'll do a bit of grooming to make flow continuous, great stuff riding the lower contour ridge
    Way Twisty....check, dry, but again lots of twigs, this recent period of wind this spring has debris everywhere
    Rio's Proliferation....check, this is where we had to negotiate a runoff crossing coming from Way Twisy. EndUser rode through it okay, maybe hub deep, I hop-scotched across, again, tons of drlr snagging twigs

Made our way over to Blue Dot....in really good shape with the exception of the bridge crossing. It's getting pretty rickety, sagging right down to water level, and am not sure how much 24 hour carnage it can handle. Thirsty, we'd be willing to incorporate some improvements for the race if you want. Here's a couple pics from last night's crossing, shows the potential to deliver some dunked racers! Gotta luv the challenges....

Mosquitos aren't quite out yet, so get some while conditions are prime.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I think you're having way to much fun with some of those names...... : )
    Save the Trails: http://www.imba.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

. . . and other local sub-cultures have different names

Quote Originally Posted by EndUser
    No, there is no map. This is about being deep in the Anchorage MT bike sub-culture. These trails are social trails and have no official status... they don't exist for all practical purposes. Stay here long enough and you will learn. It's part of the fun.

Regards,

EndUser
    for the same trails. Ya just gotta ride'em and agree with your buddies what their names are and go from there.

Beware of Doggerel

What about...

Hey what about:

Flying Squirrel

Stinky Monkey

and Rancid Mongoose

Any trial reports???
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Wood chips are stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    Hey what about:

Flying Squirrel

Stinky Monkey

and Rancid Mongoose

Any trial reports???
    I rode Jaw of The Ass,Stick in The Neck and The Panty trail today All good.
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

mtbr member
    Rode Gas Line, Spencer Loop, and a few other trails (names still under debate) last night.

Trails were in decent shape, few mud holes here there. However, the horses have been up there and really made the trails rough. Those hooves leave some big holes and you add a couple horses together, riding in wet conditions and you have a real mess! Sure wish they would stay off the trails until they dried out!!!
    Save the Trails: http://www.imba.com

Jun 2006
    Great names! Back in the late 80's, early 90's when my friends and I were biking in the area, we called the trails names like' "The trail from Stuckagain to Oilwell Road," "The trail that goes by the junked car," "The tank trail to Basher Lakes," "The trail where they build the swing," "That place where you have to ride through Campbell Creek," "The Dome Trail" (still our favorite). The only trail signs warned of unexploded ordinance. Single tracks tended to peter out in some grassy field. There were no maps. There were no shocks. South Bivouac Trailhead didn't exist and North Bivouac was a disreputable turnout filled with boken glass,used condoms, burned couches, and the occasional homicide victim. Ah, the good old days...

Bikes are good

Dome Trail

1 more tree to go, entire trail is good. There is a swampy spot at the top that we dug gutters down the side of the hill to drain. It's as bad as I've seen it in that area. Ran out of gas on the 2nd damn tree last night. We might make a trip up to finish that tonight. Also, a nice addition to a sharp right that I'm sure has taken a rider or two by surprise. Enjoy.

Alaska Turner Mafia

Remember to use a little caution....

I rode a local loop today, and yes the lower hillside is drying out nicely. Thanks to those that cut out the log on lower Black Bear, and bravo for not overdoing on Brown Bear. Nice. Sorry I couldn't make it Thur nite, but injury kept me home. Good job to those that did make it.

Rode today though, and thought I'd throw out a caution to not get too tunnel-visioned while riding. We're not alone out there, so be aware of your surroundings. I rode Sith on Wed, and it was free of any animal evidence, however today was a different story. They're out there. Cleaned up some debris there and on Way Twisty, both have way fewer drlr snaggers now. Also made the approach to the one log crossing on Sith easier to manage. EndUser, if you want to cut it out I'll lend a hand.

I also saw some signs posted warning of a bold black bear with spring cubs. Especially if you ride solo, it might be a good idea to carry bear spray.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Baked Alaskan
    Rando, I think you just have a bear scat fettish...
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Members who have read this thread: 0