Tracked Bike for Winter Use?

Guys,

What do you think of this?

Has anyone tried these out yet? It looks like a whole lot of fun

Will

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Looks pretty stable...

...judging by the action shots. Seems to be making the riders very happy.

I'd like to try it out at Turnagain pass to see how well it floats.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Did you see the video they have on the site?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yep, was thinking uphill. It's pretty deep out there at Turnagain. I was wondering how much different the ski would track going uphill than a wheel does. I dunno.

Dec 2006
    I don't know looks like they are doing without a freewheel because a track makes to much traction to go on without something pushing it. It would be interesting to see how it performs at a winter race.

@adelorenzo
    The second video piqued my interest. A guy riding trails with a front wheel on rather than the ski. I'm really tempted to give it a shot for my winter commuter/fun bike that I'm building up. I wonder how that rear set-up would compare to a Large Marge/Endo combination for riding trails.

It's a $400 gamble, but it looks way too cool if it would actually work up here.

Regards,
    Anthony

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo
    The second video piqued my interest. A guy riding trails with a front wheel on rather than the ski. I'm really tempted to give it a shot for my winter commuter/fun bike that I'm building up. I wonder how that rear set-up would compare to a Large Marge/Endo combination for riding trails.

It's a $400 gamble, but it looks way too cool if it would actually work up here.

Regards,
    Anthony

If you do it, please post experiences here. If it works for you I'll begin the long slow process of convincing my wife to let me buy one.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Aside from the down hill stuff it looks to me like they are riding on mostly packed or partially groomed trails.I think I will hold on to my pugs for awhile.

Caveman
    Thats a cool design,
    but you have to wonder how much more resistance the second wheel & tension pulleys add just to get it moving... maybe its really smooth, could be sweet
    even just trying the front ski with a normal rear could be nice, no bumps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    ehhhh....looks good for groomed stuff but I agree with bear bait. That's a lot of resistance on the rear track. Also doesn't seem like they show anyone starting or going slow. Perhaps it's not possible with the ski.

If you've got the cash, looks fun.

@adelorenzo
    OK, so don't tell my wife but I ordered one. It should be here today or tomorrow at latest.

I'm building up my old 26" MTB as a winter commuter. The plan was to have an old Karate Monkey fork and 29" wheel up front with a 26" wheel in the back. Problem is, I don't actually own any 26" mountain bike wheels. So, I had to buy one.

Technically, this IS a 26" wheel, right? Just a kind of expensive one.

I should have the build done this weekend and may take it out to the Carcross Desert for a shakedown ride.

I sent them a couple e-mails and they seem pretty convinced this thing will work. It's nice that I can commute to work 100% on trails, which will give me the option of using this thing. According to their warranty it should only be used on loose surfaces like snow or sand.

Regards,
    Anthony

mtbr member
    Like she's not going to notice that thing! It's not 24 hours of dark up there yet is it?

I'm from Utah
    So let me get this straight, Anthony ...

You're going to have a track in back and a 29-inch wheel up front? Talk about a serious Frankenbike! Can't wait to see the pictures. Have fun in the Carcross Desert. I rode by there once and it looked like a little piece of Utah in the Yukon. I'd love to try out those sanddunes some day.

Dec 2006
    Indeed if you have the ski up front with the wheel in back it could let you plow through the powder portions... although I've heard theres gonna be more XC skiers on the trails making for more packed snow sections

@adelorenzo
    For those that don't read the 29er forum there is a Ktrak thread with good write-up of someone using his.

I also finally posted my own thoughts on the thing. Been avoiding doing so because I hate it so much, but they're in that thread now.

Members who have read this thread: 0