touring bikes- Mtbr.com

Thread: touring bikes

Dec 2006

touring bikes

Howdy was thinking of getting a new bike that can handle long distances fully loaded. currently I use a REI Transfer with BOB trailer it's pretty well set up but lacks where it counts it's an aluminium frame. Also thinking of using a 14 speed hub in my setup somewhere. there are three bikes I was looking at in particular Surly Long Haul Trucker, Fuji Touring, and the Devinci Caribou. I like the LHT because it seems pretty light and strong, have heard good and bad about the Fuji, and the Devinci has disc brakes on it original. plan on running centuries a day. bad thing about the 14 speed is if it breaks difficult to repair. Anyone ride these?

BTW my 7 internal is nearing it's half life alot faster than I thought seems like alot 3000 mile service interval but touring has set it off about 500 miles

Caveman
    Just curious - what do you think is so great about AL frames for touring? go steel!
    Cant comment on the LTH but Surly's for touring is a no-brainer and you can go wrong.
    Stick with a normal drivetrain with parts you can buy easily in poorly stocked bike shops.

Ditch the trailer and get some racks and panniers, you'll go faster, lighter, the bike will handle better, travel easier and you'll be more organized. Trailers are made to carry stuff with any bike... if you're going to get something real for touring then the bike is designed for it.

cheers.

Dec 2006
    oh I would not think of going aluminium for alaska touring but have heard horror stories about right fit bikes being to short and the sort made my decision to get LHT frame and build from scratch since I'll be running a light generator in my front wheel anywho I hope to see you all out and about on your bikes I'll still be using a trailer for a while since I lost my bike rack screws around Spenard. I like the trailer because it keeps my bike better balanced i.e. third wheel carries the load, less chance of overloading your rear wheel, and helps keep low profile in the wind. Cheers happy trails all

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    I have a Surly LHT with Surly racks, XT kit, Brooks B-17, etc. There are some posts around here and the Surly forum if you want more details. It's my new favorite bike. I wouldn't call mine light...it weighs more than my Yeti 575 but it's built up to take a beating. I have some Ortlieb panniers and they beat the heck out of hauling stuff in my Yakima Big Tow trailer.

From your profile it looks like you go to UAA in Anchorage if you want to check it out sometime let me know. I live close to Goose Lake (is that still UAA Bike Club HQ?).

Caveman

Wink

oh my, someone else has a big-tow?!

Just a thought about your wheel overloaded comment. Its really not an issue if the wheel is built well. Its more of a tire strength / sidewall strength issue than a wheel issue (unless your rim-brakes have worn the sides super thin!). Get RTR to build you some strong wheels and it will never happen, I tried very, very hard and I couldent destroy the set he built me...

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, I got it several years back for $50 on clearance. Quite the bargain! I don't think it helps the bike balance and I really hate towing it in crosswinds with a non-streamlined load (I don't have the bag for my trailer.)

Dec 2006
    gosh did you take pictures Bearbait? btw the muni is having an openhous/workshop on the long range bike plan.

Caveman
    photos- of what? sure.. lots.
    Anything can break touring by the way. I broke the frame of my trailer at the yoke gusset on a big trip once to get 3rd world re-welded.. not pretty.. had a rear rim blow out from brake pad wear 3 days out from nowhere. But last time had a super strong setup with no problems despite bike weights at times around 100lbs and attrocious "roads".
    anyway..

when is the muni workshop thing?

Dec 2006
    pictures of the wheels you tried to destroy not sure when the muni thing is they just sent an email asking if I'd like to help in a focus group or something. Anything can and probably will break on a long long tour but since my really long tour planned will take me from Anc - Toronto Canada - Aguascalientes MX... For Canada and MX I'll try to do the credit thing.
    One thing I liked about the Devinci is it's Canadien and built for really big downhills and sort with discs front and back... looks like a really well built bike. anywho Surly looks like it can do the job without busting a wallet. well I need to get going happy trails

Members who have read this thread: 0