Today's Hillside and Bog ride- Mtbr.com
    Alaska Turner Mafia

Today's Hillside and Bog ride

I met Phil and AkDave at the Abbott Loop trailhead to put in a few miles so Dave could continue his fine tuning process on the new HCR frame. A nice crisp clear day made for some photo ops.

1. Dropping down from Abbott Loop there's a pond on the right that we played around on. Dave on the ice.
    2. Yours truly on the ice.
    3. We continued down Coyote, and up Moose Meadows. Phil and Dave on Moose Meadows.
    4. Dave and Phil on upper Rover's Run.
    5. Same, different view.

More to come,
    Randy
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

No, that's not phonetic
    Ok, I'll bite. What's that white stuff?? And would somebody please get Phil some pogies so he doesn't need to put an XL sleeping bag over each grip

PS It was about 50F and sunny down here again today. Hoo-ah!
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Alaska Turner Mafia

Yeah, firm white stuff

Wow TS, 50 degrees? It was 9 by the time I got home, but we were all dressed for it.

We crossed the Campbell Cr bridge at the base of Spencer Loop, went through both Bivwac parking lots, and played around Baxter Bog. I saw more bikers out today than I did on any single day last summer! I guess the conditions really were that good, not quite Kodiak, but good....

1. Another upper Rover's Run shot with Dave and Phil
    2. Phil crests the climb to the South Bivwac lot
    3. Dave and Phil dropping onto Baxter Bog
    4. Dave crossing the bog
    5. Phil doing the same

Randy

Alaska Turner Mafia

Sad to see the day end

Today's winter conditions were almost perfect, but on the other hand I could have handled riding dirt in Kodiak as well....

1. Dave picked up a hitch-hiker on his way across the bog
    2. Yours truly making my way across the bog
    3. Dave seems to be getting his riding position dialed in
    4. Phil with his Dumbo sized pogies (Ha!)
    5. Tricky crossing on an ice filled bridge just downstream of the Spencer bridge

It was a nice day to be out, hope the weather holds for everyone to enjoy.

Randy

mtbr member
    After seeing these pics, Saying its too cold to ride here in ct. is no longer an excuse!!!!!
    I should stop dreaming about my Phoenix trip in feb and get out there! Would I be crazy to ride on some snow without studded tires?

Alaska Turner Mafia

Crazy? No

It just depends on your snow conditions. We ride on snow more without them than with, because our snow conditions aren't usually icy. It's the times when ice predominates that we mount the studs up. Two weeks ago we had 40 degrees with rain, then temps dropped into single digits, making all our riding surfaces icy slick. It's for these condions, and local commuting that most of our riding community own studded tires.

If you have any hard packed snowy trails nearby, give it a go with some large volume tires, you just might have a blast! Traction is surprisingly good, more so the colder it gets. Dress for it, but beware of icy spots. These are to be avoided, because they can send your tires reaching for the sky before you know what hit you. If you think you'd be crazy, then you'll just be joining our crazy clan....

Randy

Members who have read this thread: 0