Tire Question- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tire Question

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Tire Question

I took my bike in to REI this week to get my free warranty inspection. Got my bike back today and everything is good to go. I load my bike up and take it home where I proceed to ride it in the parking lot to make sure one last time that everything is kosher. I ride for about ten minutes and take it upstairs. I was about to take it in the house when I noticed that my back tire looked funny. Come to find out they swapped a ritchy speed max beta tire on and took off my kenda road tire that I had just purchased 3 days ago. Now I know the ritchey is by far better and they let me keep the tire (Thanks to Mike at REI for hooking that up) due to the fact that they messed up and also gave me back the original. He doesn't know why it was swapped but said that the kenda still looked good. As far as I know that tire is still good so I'm going to put it back on. I can't find the Ritchy Speed Max Beta anywhere on the net but can find the Ritchy Speed Max WCS. Looks to be the same tire just softer sidewalls. I'd like to get a second same tire so I don't have to pay for two new ones. I'd hate to get rid of a perfectly good tire. Anyone know where I can get a Beta and not the WCS??? Sorry for the long rant. I've enjoyed much Kodiak Brown Nut Ale goodness.

Mike

Raubgee

Tire industry explained

The Beta is basically the same tire as the WCS but in pre-production form, lacking the finishing touches such as that waxy feeling coating to protect the rubber from drying out and film over the decals. Some companies call their prototypes "betas" and other refer to them as Rev.# spec A, B-Type II and so forth. Also sometimes the compound and tread design may have changed somewhat by the time the WCS went into full factory production. The tire probably ended up here by way of cold weather testing and somehow became inventory after a company rep dropped off a batch. I'm just kidding. I have no idea where to get that specific tire. But good luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hahaha!!!! Had me going. I was all into until the very end. Oh well my previous kendas I just bought for the road ride are on now. I still don't know why they swapped out my tube and tire yesterday though. Weird. Anyways thanks for the laugh.

Mike

Members who have read this thread: 0