Tire Levers and things- Mtbr.com

Dec 2006

Tire Levers and things

Hello just wondering if anyone else using a quickstik are having problems? It is just so thick when I get it to work it works but sure feels like rims don't like it, also anyone ever break a tire lever? any other way than manhandling a tire off the rim if the tire lever breaks?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

downhill lever for backup

Quote Originally Posted by elgeneralsv
    Hello just wondering if anyone else using a quickstik are having problems? It is just so thick when I get it to work it works but sure feels like rims don't like it, also anyone ever break a tire lever? any other way than manhandling a tire off the rim if the tire lever breaks?
    Certain tire/rim combos can be extremely tight. It helps to get both beads in the center trough of the rim, but even then it can be hard. They make metal tire levers for DH bikes and on those rare occasions you just can't get it with the plastic ones they are mighty handy. Mine looks like a large screwdriver with a tire lever tip on it. But beware, the metal levers can be hard on rims & tubes.

Caveman
    Quote Originally Posted by elgeneralsv
    , also anyone ever break a tire lever? any other way than manhandling a tire off the rim if the tire lever breaks?
    Everyone has, I'm probably somewhere up to 30 by now.
    if its really stubborn dont think of it as a lever, or you'll snap it. get the force of your hand as close to the bead as possible and use it more as a grip than a lever. Huge biceps help too.

Jul 2006
    I love my quick Stick. I broke a few until I realized that that I could cut the handle down an inch or so. In doing so, it brought my hand in closer to the tire. It also helps to pull from the bottom up with a sliding motion. I can get my endomorph tires on and off the Large Marge Rims using this method.

Diaskeuast
    I tried one of those stick things after I found it on the trail a few summers ago. I thought it was a pain in the rear. I like the plastic tire levers from Park Tools but I've broken a bunch in cold weather. The best tire levers I've found are the big, wide ones from Pedro's.

They come in pairs instead of bundles of three, because two is enough to get the job done. They're cheap, they don't break and -- if they do -- Pedro's will replace them.

Wood chips are stupid
    When I get a flat,I just buy a new bike.

aldeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

mtbr member
    So when it's 65 and sunny in Colorado I just slip the Endomorph off the Marge by hand. And it practically falls back on. Will this be different when I get a flat in the Ultrasport at minus 35?

And does anyone know of a lighter tube that that 2lb Surly monster?

Members who have read this thread: 0