Timber or weirs on large marge- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Timber or weirs on large marge

So I have a pair of large marges for a secondary snow wheelset for my bike... They came with gazzi's on them..One problem, the gazzi BARELY doesnt fit on the rear, i mean a mm off each side and it would fit... So im wondering if anyone has a pic of either of these as well as a measurement so I know which to buy..Or which would be widder. I have no experience with either tire so i dont know how accurate there "claimed width" really is..Lastly Im wondering if either even come clost to the gazzi as far as height from the rim..I really like how the gazzi is almost as large as my 29er wheels...Thanks for any info

mtbr member

2.7 timber race /weir 2.55 lt

i guess i should mention the widths of the tires in question

Ologist
    I would think the timbers would work best with their tread design and width

mtbr member
    I'd be careful with the 2.55's. I put 2.4 Mutano's on mine thinking I'd save some wear on my Endomorphs and they are too skinny - I keep banging the sidewall of the rim on rocks. They measure 2.66 on a Marge. I'm putting Endomprophs or something wider on before I ride it again.

mtbr member

thanks

I appreciate the info. I have ordered a pair of 2.7 timberwolfs and hope they will work. The only worry I have is if they will fit in my stays. Like I said the 3.0 gazzi's barely didnt fit in there so hopefully im not wasting my time with the timbers.. If they dont fit then i guess i'll have to try out the weirs...Hope they stretch

Mr.Secret
    My Vicious Thunderwing started life with the 83mm wide Remolino, or however you want to spell it, rims with 2.25 Geax Blade's. Absolutely no volume whatsoever, but man they were fast..... lot's ' o ' clearance too
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

ouch

Haha! Did you ever pinch-flat on snow?

Mr.Secret
    Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    Haha! Did you ever pinch-flat on snow?
    Nope.
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

FatBike Fiend

Freddies's Revenz on Marge

Havn't tried the 2.7 Timber Wolfs though I know people who are using them on the even wider 82 mm wide Remolinos and say they work well. I've had good results using Nokian Freddie's Revenz 2.3 studded tires on the Large Marge rim for ice riding on frozen white water rivers: The wide rim profile puts all the studs in contact with the ice.They stick to off camber ice like glue and seemed to be wide enough to protect the rims on the bumps. Only drawbacks: increased pedalling resistance and they sound like a freight train on the ice. Fun, though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

mtbr member

Very cool

Thanks for the response. So I have the timber mounted on my rear LM rim and it fits in my frame perfectly..Does anyone know whats best for the snow as far as the knobs for these tires..SHould I leave them, or should I give them a haircut. Also should I leave the side knobs long and just trim the middle ones? ANy one have any xperience with knob trimmimg tires like these? thanks

FatBike Fiend

Talk to BillM

Bill's got a lot of experience shavin' his knobs. He cuts down the center rows with an end nipper and just leaves the side rows for turning traction. Saves a lot of weight, lowers rolling resistance and still offers up good climbing and braking traction on snow. Not sure what kind of aftershave he uses though.

Quote Originally Posted by dosboy
    Thanks for the response. So I have the timber mounted on my rear LM rim and it fits in my frame perfectly..Does anyone know whats best for the snow as far as the knobs for these tires..SHould I leave them, or should I give them a haircut. Also should I leave the side knobs long and just trim the middle ones? ANy one have any xperience with knob trimmimg tires like these? thanks
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Members who have read this thread: 0