For those wondering about Wolves....- Mtbr.com
    Ologist

For those wondering about Wolves....

Since there was a little discussion here about wolves and recreation I thought I would post this new document from ADFG called "Living Safely in Wolf Country". It should be up on the ADFG website soon.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bikes are good

Great resource

So, I'm back on the trails winding around the tank trails every night with my dogs. They are always within eye sight, and usually come when I call them. Since it gets dark by 4, I'm always out there in the dark. Since I saw the pack on the tank trail two weeks ago, I've kept it closer to my house, carry bear spray, and I'm more nervous than I am when I ride by myself in the summer at night. After reading that, I guess I should be. It mentioned a wolf pack that hangs close to a neighborhood will/can begin to hunt the animals in the area. Do you guys know if that pack is still hanging out there? Any other calls or sightings?

Ologist
    The pack is still there and with the bow/blackpowder hunt which started up last Monday there are 11+ new moose carcasses in the area so far. So I would expect them to hitting some of those gut piles at some point. Again the big difference between this year and problem years is that there is adequate snow for hunting (there was no snow on the ground last year at this time). That is not to say that they won't chase after your dogs (rare), but it should be a more typical season with ample resources for wolves to be wolves. There have been no negative encounters reported this year and you have encountered them by yourself with your dogs more than once.

A wolf will choose the path of least resistance, but bear in mind that wolves have evolved to avoid humans - moose good, humans bad. Food conditioned wolves still try to sneak around human habitation.

mtbr member

Coyotes

Interesting story about the coyotes in today's ADN. I was riding on the STA trails last week on what is refered to as Drone Lane (from the Hilltop Parking Lot) when I looked up to discover that I was following a beautiful coyote. He/she wasn't afraid, but just kept trotting at about the same pace as I was ridng. It stopped a few times to let me sort of catch up before it headed on to the Lower Loop. Pretty cool!

Ologist
    elfbkr50 - finally saw your black wolf yesterday...same spot in the road.

Bikes are good

Well...

Did he look hungry. Like, wanting to eat a dog hungry?

It's always so damn dark when I get home, and I know those guys are running around all over the place back there. Were you riding? Day time?

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50
    Did he look hungry. Like, wanting to eat a dog hungry?
    No, but he did ask about you

I was working and it was mid afternoon. There was a bunch of activity on the road too - hunters, military conservation trucks, us.

Members who have read this thread: 0