Tank Trails- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tank Trails

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Tank Trails

Be careful on the tank trails just past the footbridge heading to Arctic valley. I was stopped three times last night by military folks as they will be conducting live fire exercies for the rest of the week. They said it would effectively be closed until after the holiday weekend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGoat
    Be careful on the tank trails just past the footbridge heading to Arctic valley. I was stopped three times last night by military folks as they will be conducting live fire exercies for the rest of the week. They said it would effectively be closed until after the holiday weekend.

Users of the tank trail are supposed to get a recreational use permit from Ft. Rich, then call into the hotline and check in to make sure that areas are open prior to going out there. When those guys are out doing their exercises, you may not be lucky enough to come across one of them to turn you around, you may just find yourself right in the middle of everything. I know it is a small inconvenience, however, they could have just closed it off completely like they were originally planning. At least we were allowed the access we have.

mtbr member
    You really don't want to get run over by an M1. They're a little heavy! The 120mm are pretty hard on the body too!
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Be careful on the tank trails just past the footbridge heading to Arctic valley. I was stopped three times last night by military folks as they will be conducting live fire exercies for the rest of the week.
    At least you were stopped! I went through that same stretch a couple of years ago at a pretty good clip, and noticed something odd out of the corner of my eye. It was an olive drab mummy sleeping bag on the side of the trail, unrolled, laying up next to the willows, with a sleeping GI in it! He never even stirred. I'm sure he was posted there to keep the public out because of their maneuvers, but he must have had some long shifts......
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier
    Users of the tank trail are supposed to get a recreational use permit from Ft. Rich, then call into the hotline and check in to make sure that areas are open prior to going out there. When those guys are out doing their exercises, you may not be lucky enough to come across one of them to turn you around, you may just find yourself right in the middle of everything. I know it is a small inconvenience, however, they could have just closed it off completely like they were originally planning. At least we were allowed the access we have.
    Thankjs for the info on this. I'm fairly new toriding in anchorage and had been wondering if there was an actual process for riding over there. I see poeple riding those trails all the time and wasn't aware you needed a pass.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thankjs for the info on this. I'm fairly new toriding in anchorage and had been wondering if there was an actual process for riding over there. I see poeple riding those trails all the time and wasn't aware you needed a pass.

It just started in the last couple of years. Ft. Rich was going to completely fence off the area, but after working with the community, came up with a system to give people free "recreational use" passes. Each pass is numbered and when you want to go into a particular area, you just call in to the hotline, listen to make sure your area is open on that particular day, then check in with your pass number. That way, if they do move into that area, they know if someone is supposed to be there and can handle it accordingly. Most people, however, do not bother with the pass, which doesn't help anybody. My feeling is that if you feel like dealing with the pass is too much of a bother, don't complain about getting stopped/arrested/shot/etc... if you end up where you are not supposed to be. The base has given people a way to recreate on their property easily and for the most part safely, they can't help it if people choose not to use it.

The last time I did it, you could get the pass at the Ft. Rich gate. Once you have it, it is good through the end of the year I believe.

Jul 2006
    Thanks, I was unaware of a pass being required. I think it would be worth the effort and time to go get the pass and follow protocol. I would sure hate to see that area closed.

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier
    It just started in the last couple of years. Ft. Rich was going to completely fence off the area, but after working with the community, came up with a system to give people free "recreational use" passes. Each pass is numbered and when you want to go into a particular area, you just call in to the hotline, listen to make sure your area is open on that particular day, then check in with your pass number. That way, if they do move into that area, they know if someone is supposed to be there and can handle it accordingly. Most people, however, do not bother with the pass, which doesn't help anybody. My feeling is that if you feel like dealing with the pass is too much of a bother, don't complain about getting stopped/arrested/shot/etc... if you end up where you are not supposed to be. The base has given people a way to recreate on their property easily and for the most part safely, they can't help it if people choose not to use it.

The last time I did it, you could get the pass at the Ft. Rich gate. Once you have it, it is good through the end of the year I believe.
    Do you have any phone numbers or know where to get a pass?

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Hey Chris (greengoat) I was wondering if you were still in town!

Just stop at the Fort Rich main gate...you'll get a pass and map of the areas. They'll give you the phone number. If they don't it's 384-3181 for the Anchorage area. (Fairbanks is 353-3181 and Delta Junction is 873-3181)

If you have that orange Anchorage mountain biking book that Rose Austin put out she has the number listed in there.

I got one the other day and it's good for 2 years. I'm in the military so I don't know if it's the same for civilians. Mine's good for fishing, hunting, and ATV as well.

You should definitely be using this permit and calling the number. The military is constantly looking for ways to save money and putting up a fence and freeing resources of patrolling the area would be easy for them to justify. Please try to follow the rules...if someone gets blown apart by some live fire or run over by an Abrahms I'm pretty sure they will close it to the public.

let's ride...
    Dec 2006
    maybe it's easier for those in the military. i worked as a contractor on Ft. Lewis in Tacoma, WA and I felt pretty comfortable dealing with the standard military protocol. Last year, on three separate occassions i was turned away from Ft. Rich while attempting to attain this elusive permit. everytime it stopped, the person in charge of issuing temporary civilian passes wasn't around, so i consequently was not allowed to travel on post to the office that could issue me the recreational pass. it was like walking through a cliche. i thought alan funk or rod sirling or robert altman must have been screwing with me. the best answer i ever got was come back and see if someone can issue you a pass in an hour...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hi Dave,

Yep still here, some of the time any way. Thanks for the info on the pass. I'll swing by there in the next few days

mtbr member
    I hiked up around Rendezvous peak last week. First time up Artic Valley for me. If we could talk the Ski Club into running one of the lifts up there (say once a month or something) one could build some pretty serious downhill trails. I saw several signs banning bikes? It might even be worth the ride up for the ride down… Are bikes banded from all trails up there?

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

Y M C A

Be careful...the military might be testing their next "gay bomb" out there...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,281217,00.html

It'll probably have no effect on you guys who ride purple bikes...

Members who have read this thread: 0