Susitna 50k- Mtbr.com

Thread: Susitna 50k

Oct 2008

Susitna 50k

Hey,

Ive entered the susitna 50k for Feb 2009 and just wondering if anyone had any advice/ tips for training . I currently work out at the gym doing free weights and intense cardio sessions (rowing, running, cross trainer), also bike to and from work (about 40mins total). Im going to start long distance biking but not really sure what terrain is best and where to start with the amount of time spend riding. Thanks

mtbr member
    Sounds like your training is good enough for the 100! -

My 2 cents:

Keep looking here and on the AKForums http://akspokes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36 winter thread for group rides to test your cold weather gear, have fun, and meet other riders. Also, be sure to sign up for the Frosty Bottom here in town - about a month before the Lil Su.
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

is buachail foighneach me
    really sloppy, boggy horse trails would be good pushing training, and soft sand would be good 'float' training. find a beach and ride 35 miles on it.

Oct 2008
    thanks for the info!! i live in the UK so im trying to get out as much as possible and waiting for cold weather! thanks for the beach idea sean, i did think of that but i wasnt too sure about it, good to know someone with experience came up with it.
    im going to have only 2 days in alaska to test my winter gear
    so at the mo im doing loads of research for the gear side of things but i do loads of hiking so hoping my basic knowledge can transfer over! and praying for snow. also hoping to get out in the hills during the winter. shame i cant join the groups in Alaska!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Nicky,

If you are traveling all the way across the pond, I really really urge you to "upgrade" to the Susitna 100. It's not just a "bang-for-the-buck" thing. The 50K is a cool event, but you never feel very far from home....it's more like a long training ride. The 100 pushes the envelope and takes into some very cool parts of Alaska...although with all the lodges and cabins along the way, you're never really in harm's way. With the 100 you also get to experience winter night riding....a fantastic experience!

If you are a fit cyclist with some ultra-distance experience, the 100 is manageable. I won't minimize the potential issues with winter conditions....but the frequency of checkpoints and good race management have really eliminated the "fear factor". Your greatest risk is that the snow will be lousy and the event becomes a long, painful slog...the hike-a-bike from hell. Having a good music selection on the Ipod is key!

If you're not comfortable with your bike, you can rent a good ride locally...here's the link:

http://www.arcticcycles.com/Race%20Ready.html

The 100 has a long history of participation by great athletes from the UK. I hope you'll join us.

Jacques

Oct 2008

Reason for doing 50K

Hey Jacques

Thanks for the replies and great advice that you have given to me! I've decided on the 50k as we are very new to the winter mtb/ endurance scene and it would probably be reckless to do the 100 miler without any experience. So as much as I would love to the 100er (especially after the support that has been shown ) I think I will leave that for another year! I fully intend on returning (if I manage the 50k) to complete that bad boy and then move onto the Idatarod Trail Invitational!

I think music will be the key to keeping sane and make me go further

We have been in touch with Billy and sorted renting bikes for the race, thanks for the info thou!!

Nicky

Nov 2007

50/100

I was undecided for which distance to sign up. The registrar (Ann?) sugested signing up for the 50 as it fills up and if you change your mind as the time appraoches you can 'upgrade' to the 100 which usually doesn't fill up, so that is what I did.

Members who have read this thread: 1