Susitna 100 questions- Mtbr.com
    is buachail foighneach me

Susitna 100 questions

i'll be heading up to your fine state this coming february from slushy new jersey for the susitna 100. i tried searching old threads and motionbased, but couldn't find any elevation profiles or estimates for the course.

does anyone have an elevation profile, or would anyone be willing to give a 'fairly accurate' written description of the layout of the hills and how big/steep they are? i would really appreciate it.

thanks! -sean

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hmm, I'm assuming you've been to the official web-site? They don't have any elevation profiles but they do have course maps. To get the profile, if you have a program like National Geographic Topo, you could recreate the course in there and get the elevation profile (I think). Bubba, any chance you have done this already? Bubba likes maps.

Jul 2006
    ah, yes I do!

Caveman
    To sum it up the course is pretty flat with some short steep hills where pushing is usually the way to go. So the first 30 miles to the big su are like that, but there are some hills about 7-10 miles in. The area around Eaglesong also has some hills, then its flat river riding down the Yetna back to flathorn.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aka bubba
    ah, yes I do!

Yet another reason you are moderator material.
    How was that 4am ride?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    How was that 4am ride?
    What I hear is that he showed up on time but minus a front wheel. Better as a desk jockey mod.

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger
    How was that 4am ride?
    I was all excited and in some sick way looking forward to it. I packed all my gear in the car the night before so that I wouldn't have to mess with it in the morning. I get up have a decent breakfast and out the door I go. I get there get my shoes on and suit up, pull my bike of the rack and low and behold no front tire.

Dumb A$$ me left it in my garage.
    Sorry Dave I hope you had a good ride.

Quote Originally Posted by aka bubba
    ah, yes I do!
    any chance you could post the result of your cartography up here or send it along to me? thanks.

thanks for the course description bearbait. i'm guessing then that most of the hills are also in the little su? there is a profile for that on motionbased.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

New route near start

Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    thanks for the course description bearbait. i'm guessing then that most of the hills are also in the little su? there is a profile for that on motionbased.
    Be aware that both Susitna races are starting from the Point Mackenzie General Store, not the Aurora Dog Mushers as in the past 3 years, so the first part of the course for both races is changed substantially. Look at maps. I haven't seen the new course at all (and only ran as far as 7-mi lake on the old route, not as part of race), but you can probably assume the non-green areas are flat frozen (hopefully) swamps and the green areas may be mild, rolling hills (well, maybe not mild if loose snow ). Non-straight parts of trail may also have some gains. I did go to the presentation at REI a couple weeks ago to find out more so that's partly what I'm basing my thinking on. Maybe someone here has ridden the new route.

Beware of Doggerel
    I haven't ridden the race course since it started and ended at the Big Lake Lodge. But that area in general is pretty flat except for numerous short and steep hills. Make sense? The sections on the rivers are pretty flat and open, but terrain between the start and the Big Su is generally a mixture of flat swamps and steep short hills crossing between the swamps and drainages.

In terms of an elevation profile for the overall course, the area is flat. I'm not sure exactly where the race course is this year, but I ride that area a fair amount in the winter and there is really no significant elevation gain or loss. Lots of short steep hills in sections but, no climbing to speak of. There's that one sustained climb by seven mile swamp or something but that's really it. The course itself runs over a river drainage (as you can probably see from a map) and never really leaves the flatlands of the Yetena and Susitna river valleys.

Its a challenging course without any long sustained climbing. Don't worry too much about the hills. Worry about the cold and your gear choices. Seriously, I think the hardest thing about the race isn't so much the fitness required as figuring out how exactly you are gonna get through it in one piece.

Good luck

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Manny, could you post your Su100 profile for us?

No sweat about the missing front wheel. I cruised FNBP for a couple of pre-dawn leisurely hours. Good to catch up on my NPR. No too late to join me this evening...

Dave

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

new course should be "easier"...

The 2008 course should be faster and flatter than ever before. We've eliminated most of the hilly sections of the 1st/last 13 miles by starting/finishing at the Pt Mckenzie general Store. After leaving EagleSong, racers wiil head N toward Rabbit Lake instead of hilly, soft trail of Trail Ridge and will cross several swamps and such before hitting the Yentna River 3 miles N of Luce's Lodge. After leaving Flathorn on the return, racers will follow flat seismic lines to the finish. And the course will be less than 104 miles

Please check the website for updates and other info susitna100dotcom

The 50K is already 1/3 full, be sure to sign up soon, it will fill up before the end of the month.

Happy trails,
    Ak29
    Singletrack Advocates Anchorage, Alaska
    Susitna 100 "Race Across Frozen Alaska"

Jul 2006
    Well I have looked all over my hard drive for the darn thing and I can’t seem to find them.

I will redo the profile some time this week and get it out too those that are interested in it. Sorry………………

couple more questions. thanks for all the help.

lower end of the temperature spectrum. is there a point at which you don't notice it getting any colder? do you feel a big difference between -20 and -30, in the way that there is a huge difference between +30 and +20? once you get to a certain point, is it just a matter of time of exposure? there is no way that i'll be able to train in temps below maybe -15. when i come up there, if it happens to be -30, is the difference going to be as big as a difference of 15 degrees in the above zero realm?

i'm considering trying 26 x 3" tires/rims in my 29" karate monkey. has anyone ridden a 26x3 in the same conditions as a 29x2.5(ww)? did one fair better than the other?

mtbr member
    Most people in Anchorage won't get much time in at -15 so at least you'll be in the same boat.
    For what it's worth. I wear the same clothes at 20 that I do at -20. Just an a face mask and my hood up in the colder temps.

Members who have read this thread: 1