Sunny Single Track- Mtbr.com
    Bill M

Sunny Single Track

Kathi M and I just got back from a 1000 mile mtb ride from Salt Lake to Tuscon,AZ. We used a guide book to follow the Arizona Trail but Kathi put together the Utah route using a cool detailed GPS mapping program called Topofusion Pro. She put us on as much singletrack as she could find even when some of it climbed over 1000 feet per mile. Not so steep for you young hotshots but hard on an old guy with a loaded bike, sucking wind at 10,000 feet. I enjoyed the descents and the scenery was spectacular. Lots of singletrack on the AZT too. We were just ahead of the snow in Utah but it was still 96 degres in Tuscon and I had trouble putting water in as fast as it leaked out of my forehead. Great fall ride but I am happy to be back in Chickaloon at 28 degrees with 5" of snow on the ground.
    The roster is filling up fast for the Iditarod Trail invitatinal so if any of you are planning to do the race this year better let me know so I can hold you a spot.
    See you on the Trail
    Bill M

FatBike Fiend

Nice pics

Looks like a great ride. What's next?
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

One question . . .

Bill, Kathy - I understand there's a big ditch between Utah and Arizona. The guvmint considers it a special place for some reason, so much so that bikes are not allowed. I think it's called the Grand Canyon! My question - how did you get across (or around) that big ditch?

Sounds like a fun trip. Marci and I are on a road trip down in the southwest. But I don't think we're up for a two state backcountry excursion.

cheers

Joe

Bill M

Big Ditch

Hey sourdough, You are right about the Big Ditch. We were just riding along and there it was, Must have been a heck of a flash flood to make such a big washout in the trail. A friend of ours was a bit more hard core than us and he just put his bike on his back and crossed over. It is not that you can't have a bike in the canyon you just can't ride it. We actually took a shuttle from the North Rim around to Desert View on the East rim and picked up the Arizona trail again. We planned to ride around but were warned about riding that section of highway. Hope you have a great trip
    Bill M

Grillin' & Chillin'

Road around The Big Ditch

I just got back from a 3 week ride from San Fransisco to Lake Havasu, AZ. My route took me east across Carson Pass. CA, then directly east through Nevada and then clipped the southwest corner of Utah prior to coming to the spur road to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I rode the road around to the Desert View Campground at the Grand Canyon East Entrance and it was no big deal. I was riding my Giant NRS and towing a B.O.B. The descent was pretty twisty and windy, but no problem.
    Grill Meister
    "There were never any good old days
    They are today, they are tomorrow
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

No, that's not phonetic
    Holy bejezus. That's cool. Nice job.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Caveman
    Great to see everyone getting out and touring!

nice pics Bill, looked like a sweet trip!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

best trails around the Canyon

Quote Originally Posted by speedsk8_ak
    I just got back from a 3 week ride from San Fransisco to Lake Havasu, AZ. My route took me east across Carson Pass. CA, then directly east through Nevada and then clipped the southwest corner of Utah prior to coming to the spur road to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I rode the road around to the Desert View Campground at the Grand Canyon East Entrance and it was no big deal. I was riding my Giant NRS and towing a B.O.B. The descent was pretty twisty and windy, but no problem.
    On the North Rim is the Rainbow Rim Trail, 19 miles of pine forest ride with 5 main viewpoints, one of the most scenic mountain bike rides on Earth. Best camping is at Locust Point, in the trails middle. East of the highway to the North Rim is the Arizona Trail. I've ridden several parts. As you get closer to the canyon the elevation gets higher and you enter the spruce-fir forest. This is the coolest, densest forest ride I've found in the state. Seems a lot more like Colorado. If you go north from highway 89a there's a 21 mile 2000' descent to the Utah border I wish to ride, someday.
    On the South Rim a trail I hope to ride is from the easternmost Desert View Point to Cape Solitude to the north. Prepare for isolation.
    agmtb

Members who have read this thread: 0