Summer pugsleys?- Mtbr.com
    Caveman

Summer pugsleys?

I was brainstorming for a friend about a versatile setup winter / summer combo bike.
    Basically a pugs built up with the 50mm rims, then have a suspension fork and a normal normal dish front wheel for summer mountain biking. The rear tire would just be swapped from an endo to a normal 2.1 or something using the same wheel.

any thoughts? it would be for a light rider 110 lbs using a 16" pugs frame

The drawback would be a slightly heavier bike in "summer" mode but then you'd still have a sweet setup come winter. Does anyone have any experience with a suspension fork on a pugs that can comment on the geometry? is this stupid? cost is an issue - thus the pugs.
    Thanks!
    Eric

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    bighit added front sus fork on his pugs. You might PM him on here and ive seen other posts from him about this, I just know if this one off hand.

Here is his post: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...50&postcount=5

No, that's not phonetic
    I've had an SC32 on my Pugs since I first got the frame a few years ago. I rode it on the AK Peninsula for many miles in the summers and here in Kodiak in the winters. It's a fun combo.

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I don't see a reason to stop running the Endos. If you go with a regular 26" tire you'll really mess up the geometry. You'll have to build up 29" wheels if you want to run narrower tires.

Caveman
    ok that's what I was thinking.

reason to stop running endos - to make it a "normal" bike that actually goes fast.

Spooooon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    to make it a "normal" bike that actually goes fast.
    If you make it a normal bike, you loose all the fun that makes a Pug a Pug. Although I love my Pug, I wouldn't have it as my only bike.

Caveman
    any thoughts on the change in geometry using normal 26" tires?

Spooooon!
    It will drop the BB a couple of inches, which will give you more pedal strikes.

@adelorenzo
    Personally, if I had to stick to only one bike it would be my 29er. I'd rather pay the price in the winter and be limited to well-packed trails, in order to get the best riding on dirt. There are some wider 29er rim options out there that might help, and at 110 lbs I bet you could do pretty well on snow. Heck, even a more standard 26 inch bike with wide rims would be better, in my eyes.

I love riding my Pugs, but it is slow, heavy and steers like a cow. I'd find it really hard to ride it on dirt much.

is buachail foighneach me
    pugsley with speedway uma 29" rims. summer run whatever tire you like, winter make a frankentire out of two(4 for whole bike) 29" tires for the extra float. that would probably be the cheapest option.

Wood chips are stupid

Straight kick!

I think a better option would be a Karate Monkey as an all around bike... if your pal is 5"7' or taller that is. You can get a pretty big tire in one of those frames.

akdeluxe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

Caveman
    is that your new riding partner Akdeluxe?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    No, thats a young Akdeluxe sporting a cute lil beard.

Aint he adorable?
    Singletrack Advocates Anchorage, Alaska
    Susitna 100 "Race Across Frozen Alaska"

Caveman
    sweet drop bar singlespeed, are those shimano clipless pedal shoes you have on?

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    Karate Monkey with two wheelsets:

Standard 29er wheelset built up how you want it to ride in the summer
    26er 50mm Uma's with big 2.7 or 3.0 tires for winter time. Nevegal, Big Earl, Arrow 3.0, etc.

Wood chips are stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    is that your new riding partner Akdeluxe?

Nope,thats Tylers supposedly unborn twin.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

mtbr member

Pugs with 29's

Pugs is my only bike. Endo's and 100's in the winter, Endos and Large Marge's in the summer (but I didn't have the 100's last summer, maybe 100's year-round). I happen to have a set of 29er rims with Nokian studs XT hubs and a set of 2.7 Wierwolfs for summer that are all available to become someone else's posessions, package or parts. The front wheel is laced for the Straight Surly front fork so it's symmetrical. Only about 50 miles on each set of tires. Suspension fork and 29's would be a killer combo on a Pug. I just like the way this bike rolls rigid on Endo's, summer, winter, whatever, but that's just me. More cushion for the pushin'.

Pugs 1.jpg
    29-er reverse dish.jpg

mtbr member

summer pug

if you want one bike to do it all the pug is it. this is my second one and i built it up so i could ride it in the summer also. my goal was to make it light..er than normal. mines 27lbs with the 29er wheels and 29lbs with the endos. i can drop about two pounds off if i change the seat and some other stuff, but i am happy with it. you need to build up 29er wheels for it for the summer. i dont think putting on smaller 26in tires would work out. im not 100% on the endo fork combo. the fork with the 29er wheel feels right. i think i need to add some air to the tires or the fork. i would love a carbon fork for the bike but havent found one wide enough yet. overall i am very happy with it. i think that for the money spent on the frame you cant go wrong. if i had the money i would get a ti frame that can handle both next time, the fatback, black sheep eon.

customized
    Sep 2003
    bighit, what rims are those? Echo?

mtbr member
    speedway uma's 50mm

Members who have read this thread: 0