Ted, Ben and I headed out from my cabin off Burma road to ride the Su50 route Saturday 6:45am. we rode to the Pt. McKenzie General Store where we met Jacques, Jim and Brij. Almost full moon and warm temperatures made for a nice sunrise on the trail. Outbound trail past the little Su was good until the Su100/Su50 split, at which point we walked the next 2-3 miles. IMG_4743 Five loitering bikers pushing.JPGAs we approached Flathorn lake we started riding again. Flathorn was unrideable unconsolidated snow, IMG_4751 Three Fatbacks.JPGso we crossed the Flathorn lake Fish Creek slough and stayed on the old Iditarod trail behind the checkpoint at Kurt's house. Trailbreaking stopped after 2 milesIMG_4761 Jim, Jacques, Brij, Dave end of trail.JPG, at which point we backtracked to the big slough 1/2 mile north of the checkpoint and pushed back to Flathorn lake. IMG_4767 Jacques, Dave and Ben pushing.JPGAnother couple miles of pushing/riding got us on the inbound Su50/100 trail off the lake. Though well travelled by snowmachines, the first 1-2miles was pushing, then intermittant pushing/slow riding back to Ayershire road. IMG_4776 Five Fat Bikes.JPGRight at 46 miles in 11 hours round trip from my cabin, with 7-1/2 hours moving time. From the Pt. Mac Store it was 33 miles in 9 hours total, with 6 hours moving.

Fatbacks #1, 5 and 11 joined us on this trip. I got to try the 80mm wheels on #11 for a bit; man what a difference to even my Large Marge's. Ted was able to ride conditions Large Marge's and SnowCats couldn't (all with endomorphs), and certainly with less effort and more enjoyment. And I have no vested interest in any local bike store. Brij of course displayed his amazing talent of levitating #1 across otherwise unrideable conditions.

Of course 2 days of 40+F temps have made this post irrelevant by now, everything should freeze up nicely for some great riding after tonight...